PDA

View Full Version : good hunt stories

moose hunter
04-12-2006, 09:49 AM
i wouldnt mind a good moose hutning story or 2 right now if you have any just inclue what rifle you were using:mrgreen:

Elkhound
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Here you go moose hunter, you need us to entertain you while you are sick? Hope you are feeling better

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3012

moose hunter
04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
yes i need somthing to entertain me, cant eat right now or anything:redface: :-(

Dayto
04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I got one for ya ,

3 Years ago out moose hunting , 1'st day into the trip .. Driving around seeing nothing 12'o clock afternoon we sit down on a ridge to have lunch , looking down we see a old Mud coverd nasty looking RD , as me and my partner think to are selves "Jeez only a Idiot would ever drive up that RD" sure enuf 10 minutes later were throwen the truck in 4X4 and Driving up the RD , about 1 KM later , we came across a nice slash about 300yrds , long so we set start calling and sure enuf , Out he came a nice 4X3 bull so as Im laying on my belly with bi-pod out on the old 7MM RM , im have my site's right below the shoulder but then I noticed something moving about 10 yards through the slash , I Re positioned my self (the moose was not gonna go any were ) and all I could see was RACK! , I could tell this one was bigger , but it would not come out of the timber so my buddy let out one grunt , and 10 seconds later out it came , soon as he stepped out of the timber , BANG! 162gr 7MM RM took care of the ol' boy pretty quick ( this one was alot bigger a nice 4x5) as im still laying there making sure everythings good , I then thought "shit this is gonna be a could pack out" so as we drive down the RD we realize the RD stop dead short about 60yrds away from the moose , so we were some happy hunters ..

CHilko21
04-27-2006, 04:04 PM
I shot my first moose when I was 13 years old, using my Parker&Hale 270 bolt action. It's a fairly old gun, think it was made in '54. I love it.l Went walking out in a cut block with dad, starting calling just to see what'd happen...walking back to the truck, and I heard something rattle some brush, turn around and there's a gorgeous 6x6 bull standing there. Can't believe even now how even his rack is. There was a tree in the way, so I shot him in the neck instead of behind the shoulder, went through his jugular and windpipe, and he went down. Antler's weren't massive, but the body sure was! Our poor pickup was doing some serious grunt work to get that bugger home. Awesome day, and my dad was the happiest man on the planet to boot...lots of fun was had by all involved...except the moose.

BOOMSTICK
04-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Years ago I was guiding a first-time moose hunter from North Carolina. We took a boat down the lake glassing for moose as we went. I finally spotted a huge bull in a meadow about 150 yards off shore. We pulled the boat to shore and sneaked up to him through the edge of the timber. We lost sight of him for a minute, and when we got to a good shooting position he was gone.

I began glassing the edge of the meadow when I heard movement to my right, and there was the bull not 25 yards away. I pointed and whispered to the hunter "There he is, take him". So he cocked his rifle and began to raise it to his shoulder, but he was so excited the rifle went off just above his hip. I looked at him and thought 'what the hell are you doing?', but when I turned back to the moose he was piled up on the ground, dead as a doornail. When he fired, the lucky SOB hit the bull right behind the ear, and that was all she wrote. One of the biggest bull moose I have ever seen, measured just over 66'' wide and ended up ranking high in the books.:grin:

cowboy-up69
04-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Years ago I was guiding a first-time moose hunter from North Carolina. We took a boat down the lake glassing for moose as we went. I finally spotted a huge bull in a meadow about 150 yards off shore. We pulled the boat to shore and sneaked up to him through the edge of the timber. We lost sight of him for a minute, and when we got to a good shooting position he was gone.

I began glassing the edge of the meadow when I heard movement to my right, and there was the bull not 25 yards away. I pointed and whispered to the hunter "There he is, take him". So he cocked his rifle and began to raise it to his shoulder, but he was so excited the rifle went off just above his hip. I looked at him and thought 'what the hell are you doing?', but when I turned back to the moose he was piled up on the ground, dead as a doornail. When he fired, the lucky SOB hit the bull right behind the ear, and that was all she wrote. One of the biggest bull moose I have ever seen, measured just over 66'' wide and ended up ranking high in the books.:grin:

Haha WOW! Thats funny! What a fluke though eh! Thats cool ;)

Elkhound
04-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Goes to show, when it's your turn to go, it's your turn to go. Even with moose:wink: