PDA

View Full Version : spotting scope what to buy

buckslayer
04-10-2006, 06:13 AM
looking for input on buying a spotting scope want something mid price range but decent and something still clear at higher magnification levels any advice would be great. Thanks

lapadat
04-10-2006, 06:49 AM
I recently acquired a Bushnell Elite 15-45X50 spotter off of E-bay (NIB). To my door was roughly $325 (cnd) while wholesale offers them for over $450. Super bright crisp images, waterproof, bombproof and not too long or heavy. I am extremely pleased thus far. Bushnell products usually always get my vote.

Lapadat

Hunter4life
04-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Does anyone have any info on the Nikon 16-48x60 Spotter XL II Spotting Scope??? It is listed for around $500-600. it looks exactly like a bushnell elite but im not sure how the quality compares. Also is there a noticable difference between bausch and lomb and bushnell spotters??

Hunter4life

04-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Also is there a noticable difference between bausch and lomb and bushnell spotters??

Good question........l have the B&L 20x60 ED Prime, and have wondered if the new offering is any different other then name only. I know we once spotted 7mm holes on a targets at 650 yrds on a an overcast day with one. It's been a good spotter other then its a little big compared to others in the same class.

bigwhiteys
04-10-2006, 08:02 AM
On the advice of my dad who guided for a very long time I bought a bushnell spacemaster.

I've looked through all kinds of Glass including Swarovski and Zeiss and the difference between them and the bushnell didn't justify me spending an extra $1500 - $2000.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

huntwriter
04-10-2006, 09:19 AM
I have field tested many field optics in the past and found that for quality and price the Bushnell mid to high end priced series are hard to beat. They are one of a very fiew that come waterproof, fully coated and treated even in the mid price range.

Myself, I use Swarovski binoculars and spotting scopes but also Bushnell and I have only found very little difference with Bushnell being a little bit distorted at the highest end of the magnificaten. That however, is to be exspected from such a price class.

I am very happy with Bushnell, and that comes from a guy who rather would forget his rifle or bow at home then be in the field without binoculars or spotting scope.

bigwhiteys
04-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Huntwriter,

I too use Swarovski Binos but just couldn't justify spending so much $$$ on the swarovski scope.

I picked up my bushnell spacemaster off eBay for under $300 CAD shipped.

Great Scope and I'll get plenty of years of use out of it.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

huntwriter
04-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Huntwriter,

I too use Swarovski Binos but just couldn't justify spending so much $$$ on the swarovski scope.

I picked up my bushnell spacemaster off eBay for under $300 CAD shipped.

Great Scope and I'll get plenty of years of use out of it.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

The Swarovski binos and scope was given to me.;-) I like how though they are. My SLC 10 x 42 have fallen out of a treestand twice and bounced off the ground and they are still as good as ever. Indestructable these things.

But I am also very happy with Bushnell and their optics and customer service. So happy in fact that I might seriously conceder them to sponsor me. That is one of the very few companies I could promote and still be able to look in the mirror at the end of the day.;-)

Barracuda
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
here is a bit of scope info with links to the companies . I to would like a spotting scope of my own , just have to figure out what will be my best option
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/sport.html

04-10-2006, 11:16 AM
. Indestructable these things.

My EL's hit the floor once and l even though l managed to get my foot under them first....... I had to send them back to Austria to get the diopter re calibrated:cry:. Only good part of that story was l ph back to Toronto mid week when it happened and the fellow said if l sent them back they had a shipment going out and he would wait for mine. He did hold the shipment and l had them back inside of six weeks as promised.

As for the difference between high end glass (swarovski) and my B&L...l had an opportunity to try both out side by each and durning the day when light wasn't a problem, there was no difference l could tell. In more adverse lighting conditions l would bet the higher end glass would show its quailities better. For the amount of useage my spotting scope gets and the number of times all the qualities of top end glass could be utilized versuses the costs, l can't justify upgrading.

Hunter4life
04-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I have been doing some research on spotters lately and i think that if you cant afford a swarovski then the bushnell elite is the next best thing. It is affordable and is fully fogproof and all the rest. From what i know you cant go wrong with it.