PDA

View Full Version : Canada In The Rough - April 9/06

The 'Hummer'
04-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Just prior to heading to the Gun Show in Duncan this morning, I watched this weeks episode of Canada In The Rough. It was an improvement over last weeks fiasco.:!: What looked to be even more interesting was the show that preceded it, starting @ 7:00am. I only caught the tail end but it was on calling my favorite big game animal, Mr. Moose.:-) Wish I could've seen more, it looked really good. I believe the show was Quebec Adventure. The Gun Show wasn't bad, a lot of 'same old same old'. I think the main function some of these shows provide is more social than anything, but that's not a bad thing either. I didn't buy anything but I did sell my 4" S&W, model 66.:smile:

000buck
04-09-2006, 02:31 PM
hey was there too. bought 740 woodsmaster 3006 (traded for sks) best deal in the place

bearheart
04-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Is there somewhere I can find dates and location of gunshows on the Island, I haven't been to one in 20 years. Thanks

The 'Hummer'
04-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Bearheart, if you send me your e-mail address, I've scanned the 2006 calendar, I'll e-mail it to you. I haven't figured out how :roll: to add it or a picture to this site as a post or thread. I've 'looked' at Marc's instructions of how, but I still haven't got it.:?

love the woods
04-15-2006, 05:40 PM
i actually dont mind canada in the rough.Although some shows make me think they dont know what they are doing.at least it something to watch on boring tv.

jessbennett
07-10-2006, 12:52 PM
did you all see the one where he missed a cariboo with a bow by like 5-10 feet?? yikes....!!!!!! i would not have even showed that on t.v.

dime
07-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Plus who hunts walrus? That show should focus more on game that most people hunt, not musk ox and the like.

The 'Hummer'
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
did you all see the one where he missed a cariboo with a bow by like 5-10 feet?? yikes....!!!!!! i would not have even showed that on t.v.

Yes, that was an excellant example of doing everything wrong. I sent them a few 'comments' voicing my displeasure.

30-06
07-10-2006, 05:24 PM
thats actually a good show the one i watched saterday at 9 was the same as the one as last sundays at 7

sawmill
08-04-2006, 08:44 AM

Is that the 80 yard running away shot ?What an IDIOT!The muskox was bullshit too,those things are programmed to circle up and defend the young,they ain`t got a chance with humans.He should have used a spear.

Rainwater
08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
That show is public enemy number #1 for hunters. Chasing down muskox with a snowmobile and shooting one (while another stands right behind) with its tongue hanging out drooling, flinging arrows at running 'bous, thanks for making us look good Canada in the Rough.

Husky7mm
08-05-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm just glad theres something to watch about canadain hunting. This show is pretty careful. Do you really think anti hunters think we sing our prey to sleep?Getting Hunting on public T.V is a GREAT thing. Save the critisism for the cable and magazine companys who say theres "not enough interest" Yet I can watch David Suzuki any night I choose.

calvin L
08-07-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree with huskey 7 MM It is nice to see any type of canadain hunting on the boob tube . We as a whole (hunters) need to stand together as one instead of having a little pissing match over what he or she thinks is the correct way or what animal should be hunted. If it is done legally it is ok and the hunter should be congraulated .
As to who hunts walrus and muskox I have a number of friends that are trying to shoot the north american grand slam and both these animals part of it . It is a lot harded than just running them down with a sled or a boat . I for one do not have an interest in hunting alot of exotic's through out the world but I WILL NOT DEGRADE ANYONE THAT DOES as to my own belief or feeling that I think is right. I also have made more than one poor jugdement while hunting {and that is with out the pressures of being on camera and fifulling obilgations to the sponsers of the the show ie. your bosses I think it would be dam hard} .I have also learned not to do this again . So before judging think of what it could have been like in there boots It my not be as easy as you think it is .

calvin L

Seth
08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I must say that I had never heard of this show until this thread. I went to the trouble of recording a couple of episodes on PVR a couple nights ago and all in all I'd have to say I agree with Calvin L. It's good to see something on public TV. I think if we start picking apart the few shows that do make it to the public we'll soon find that networks will be too hesitant to take a chance on anything. Until some sort of illegal hunting method is televised I don't think we have anything to worry about. Anti's will find something to bitch about no matter what they see on TV, it's just what they do. . . Just my 2 cents. . .

The 'Hummer'
08-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I enjoy this Canadian production. Just finished watching 'Brunswick Bruins' and it was a much improved example of archery & bow hunting ethics when compared to the Caribou hunt with a bow.

The 'Hummer'
08-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Todays show, hunting Mulies in southern Alberta with a bow, not bad.

bsa30-06
08-27-2006, 12:59 PM
I watched this morning show, i agree not bad.you have to admit it would be pretty hard to get close in that wide open prairie land.

Rainwater
08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
It's nice to see wildlife in shows but the ethics of these guys suck and they don't mind filmed it. I don't know what bad ethics has to do with David Suzuki.

MB_Boy
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
I also saw the Alberta mulies one and I wasn't too crazy about the filming. The country they were hunting was a pretty neat looking area...(Alberta badlands)...and the final filmed sequence of his shot with the bow was obviuously not far off a farm road as there was a larger truck driving on the road about 200 yrds back behind the deer that he was stalking. Just seemed a bit odd for me with respect to editing and the production in even going after these deer. One thing for a guy with no film crew, but in an event to capture a interesting sequence I didn't need to see a truck driving along in the background.

Just my opinion though.

The 'Hummer'
08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I also saw the Alberta mulies one and I wasn't too crazy about the filming. The country they were hunting was a pretty neat looking area...(Alberta badlands)...and the final filmed sequence of his shot with the bow was obviuously not far off a farm road as there was a larger truck driving on the road about 200 yrds back behind the deer that he was stalking. Just seemed a bit odd for me with respect to editing and the production in even going after these deer. One thing for a guy with no film crew, but in an event to capture a interesting sequence I didn't need to see a truck driving along in the background.

Just my opinion though.

I know what you mean but I've hunted in some similar country in south central Alberta, and the roads & odd vehicle is something you stand a good chance of seeing. Just the nature of the area. I do think it was quite an accomplishment getting that 'entourage' that close to the action. A considerable improvement over a previous episode of Cariboo hunting with a bow. Its only the second year but I believe the show is headed in the right direction.

MB_Boy
08-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I know what you mean but I've hunted in some similar country in south central Alberta, and the roads & odd vehicle is something you stand a good chance of seeing. Just the nature of the area. I do think it was quite an accomplishment getting that 'entourage' that close to the action. A considerable improvement over a previous episode of Cariboo hunting with a bow. Its only the second year but I believe the show is headed in the right direction.

Yes.....the caribou fiasco :roll:

Being from the prairies I can appreciate the "flats"....I just thought for a television production they may have chosen a different group of deer to pursue. I do agree though it was quite the job to get the whole group on a stalk to within bow range.

I think the show is getting better and it will be interesting to see how this season unfolds. I don't know if it is just me.....but there is something about Mr. Pigeon that just rubs me the wrong way.

The 'Hummer'
08-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I think the show is getting better and it will be interesting to see how this season unfolds. I don't know if it is just me.....but there is something about Mr. Pigeon that just rubs me the wrong way.[/quote]

Agreed. He's not exactly a 'Jackie Bushman'.