PDA

View Full Version : Question: Recurve Bow Draw Length

longrifle
06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey folks,

My father in law has a custom recurve bow that he would like to give me...I have plenty of experience with compound bows but zero with recurves. The problem is that I have a 32" draw and he has a 30" draw, are recurves like compounds in that they should be tailored to your specific draw length?? I do believe it has a 60 lb draw weight...Many thanks in advance.

'rifle

J_T
06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey folks,

My father in law has a custom recurve bow that he would like to give me...I have plenty of experience with compound bows but zero with recurves. The problem is that I have a 32" draw and he has a 30" draw, are recurves like compounds in that they should be tailored to your specific draw length?? I do believe it has a 60 lb draw weight...Many thanks in advance.

'rifle
I assume with a 32" draw your are not only a longrifle, but a longfellow. Performance will depend on the length of the bow. If it's a short bow and with a 32" draw you may compromise performance, but there are ways around that.

If the recurve is a 62" there should not be much in terms of performance issues. The bow is likely built for 28" or 30" draw length. Probably says so on one of the limbs. At a longer draw you just add to the speed of the arrow.

longrifle
06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info J T.

So, the extra draw length won't cause the limbs to come apart?

Thanks.

'rifle

Bow Walker
06-22-2010, 05:20 AM
As J_T said - as long as the bow is in (or around) the 62 inch long area you should be good to go. The extra draw length will just add a few extra pounds to the draw weight. Start flinging!

Onesock
06-22-2010, 06:40 AM
I doubt very much that you will draw a recurve bow to the 32 inch mark. The rest is as JT says. Have fun.

greybark
06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
:-D Take off two inches (for Trad form) , your normal and OK.

longrifle
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I'll check the overall length of the bow out this weekend and fire away, thanks for the advice!

'rifle