PDA

View Full Version : decent range finder

Rob
06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Looking for a well priced range finder to use preferably with my bow and rifle. Any suggestions? Thanks Rob

Recordram
06-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I bought the Bushnell Arc 1000 from Cabelas. It cost $300 and you could choose between a pair of binos or a rifle scope as part of the package. I thought it was fair. I also had to go down there and buy them. I'm not sure if they will mail them here to Canada. The range finder has both bow and rifle mode and many other options.

Rob
06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I see Cabelas Canada is selling it for $380 and you get the 4.0 sentry trail camera, which I dont really need, wonder why they need to sell package deals?

Bow Walker
06-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Try WSS here in Canada. The A.R.C. type rangefinders are the best ones. You can still get the regular type of rangefinder but if you're bowhunting the angle compensation will save a lot of misses.

I've been looking hard at the Chuck Adams model.

Bow Walker
06-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I just checked out Grouse River Outfitters - one of our sponsors - they've got the Chuck Adams rangefinder for $289.00

Plus - they're close to you. You could eother go in and pick it up or get them to ship. Either way they've got great service.

http://www.grouseriver.com/Bushnell_Bowhunter_Rangefinder_p/opt-000315.htm

WSS has it as well - but I'd rather use GR.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/monoculars-rangefinders/rangefinders/bowhunter-chuck-adams-edition-4x20/prod270344.html

Rob
06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
The Chuck Adams received some pretty bad reviews(cabelas site). Ive checked out the Bushnell 1000, only negative is it doesnt give actual yardage over 99yds(for using rifle or whatever). I may be reading this wrong. rob

Bow Walker
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Nikon has one that's less than $250 - but it comes with 6X magnification that can make quick target acquisition a real problem.

I've got a Nikon and it has 8X magnification. It's a problem to get the target in view when you're in a hurry.

Ambush
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I have used the Nikon Archers Choice for a few years now. Good price at $250 and comes with the handiest strap and case that I've used. But its range makes it strictly a bow hunters RF and it doesn't take much mist, fog or rain to render it useless. I don't know if the rifle one is any better.

Rob
06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Ended up with the bushnell sport 600, pretty cheap for price but it's pretty fast getting a distance. May notice the difference with moisture/fog. Does having the RF's that calculate angle make that big ofdifference? or just in tree stands mainley? Rob

Ambush
06-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Does having the RF's that calculate angle make that big ofdifference? or just in tree stands mainley? Rob

You only need the angle version if you're hunting in BC.:mrgreen:

I wouldn't buy one without it for bow hunting.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-23-2010, 11:16 PM
yep they do In my opinion ... I have a Bushnell elite 1500 with ARC ...

2 modes (rifle/Bow) in rifle mode it has 6 differant balistics settings so you can set it up for what your rifle will do over distance ... it says its good to 1500 yards (the furthest I personally have ranged that I can recall was 1280 yards)

Bow Walker
06-24-2010, 08:16 AM
The Angle Range Compensation factor in a rangefinder used for bowhunting is worth it's weight in gold. If you are shooting uphill, or downhill (not too likely here in BC, I know) it will give you the true distance - not the line-of-sight distance. It doesn't take much of a hill (angle) to throw your bow shot off either.

uraarchr
06-24-2010, 08:12 PM
i just bought th bushnell legend 1200 arc at wholesale sports.i reliably get readings to high 700's and 800's w it.lots of readings 1000,1100 and sometimes to 1200'yds.up to this point i've passed on lots and also missed a few bucks on steep inclines just because i didnt know the adjusted yardage.i'm sure this unit will change that some.i had a yrdg pro sport 450 that seemed towork to within its specs but not enough for me.need the arc and bow mode