PDA

View Full Version : Arrows and Broadheads

Gus
04-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Im going to be switching the arrows I have been shooting (beman ICS 400), to something different. I still want to stay with carbons but i need something a little heavier, like a 340. Any suggestions on arrows? Im also going to be switching from expandable broadheads ( 100gr spitfire) to fixed, any suggestions there as well? Any will be appreciated. P.S My bow is set at about 63 pounds

JohnS
04-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Try Slick tricks in the 125gr really dependable broadhead and leaves a great blood trail.

huntwriter
04-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Never used carbon arrows as I still use aluminum and I am quit happy with them.

As for broadheads, I have used a great many of them. Currently I use Magnus II and I am very pleased with them.
I also shot Muzzy, Spitfire and Thunderhead's (allways 125 grain).
You could try to switch from the Spitfire to the Thunderhead. They are essentially the same in the basic make up. My experience is that no tuning is needed when switich from Spitfire to Thunderheads.

The 'Hummer'
04-08-2006, 10:41 PM
With my CyberTec I'm having good results with Comp Pro 300's & 100gr Muzzy three blade.:smile: Aluminium XX 78's with my Darton Maverick are much quieter though.:smile:

huntwriter
04-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Aluminium XX 78's with my Darton Maverick are much quieter though.:smile:

That's the exact reason why I stick with them.;-)

Bow Walker
04-09-2006, 06:52 AM
IMHO you cannot go wrong with the GT 5575. Unbelievably tough.

As for a BH - have a good look at the Razorcaps in either 100 or 125
grains. Although I like the Slick Tricks as well.

Mooseman
04-09-2006, 08:54 AM
My knowledge on arrows is limited and therefor I would not like to make a recommendation. I also know nothing about compounds and what shoots well out of them. As for broad heads there is one that I can recommend and when you see one you will know why. That is the Silver Flame. http://www.german-kinetics.com/html/english.html
These heads are not easy to get at times. He has some people from the US ordering boxes of them after they used them once. They are addictive. Serios big game hunters that are looking for the best possible head, are starting to buy these now. If you are interested let me know. I got some to look at if you would like to see them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/MoosemanBC/SFBH.jpg

bwhnter
04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
I shoot the Beman 340 out of my Cybertec with 125 grain G5 Montec. I had great luck with this combo. I killed an elk @ 52 yards quartering away and when the arrow hit the off shoulder it broke through the shoulder blade. I also found that the Montecs flew exactly like the my field tips out to 80 yards.(NOt that I would shoot that far at an animal and not that I would condem someone that would.) The only problem that I had with this was that the field tips were bigger than the arrow shaft so it really tore up my 3D targets. This year I am going to try the same arrow but with a 100gr broadhead. I like the Montec because I know that it works and I have the stone to sharpen them but I am also tempted to try the new broadhead that G5 is releasing this summer it is called the Striker and it not only is a cut on contact fix blade but it also has locking replaceable blades. It looks very interesting and I am just trying to get my hands on one to see if it will be "The One" for this fall.

Dirty
04-17-2006, 10:03 PM
I personally like the Montec G5's in 100gr, they fly exactly the same as my field tips. In addition, they are reasonably priced compared to some of the other broadheads available on the market. You can also get practice G5's without an edge on them, that is handy.

The 'Hummer'
04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I usually have to adjust my sights slightly when I change from field tips to broadheads. I would imagine you can tune 'things' so both can be sighted to the same point of impact, or can you?:?:

Thunderstix
04-26-2006, 02:42 PM
My knowledge on arrows is limited and therefor I would not like to make a recommendation. I also know nothing about compounds and what shoots well out of them. As for broad heads there is one that I can recommend and when you see one you will know why. That is the Silver Flame. http://www.german-kinetics.com/html/english.html
These heads are not easy to get at times. He has some people from the US ordering boxes of them after they used them once. They are addictive. Serios big game hunters that are looking for the best possible head, are starting to buy these now. If you are interested let me know. I got some to look at if you would like to see them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/MoosemanBC/SFBH.jpg

Those things are beauties, but also extremely $$$$$$$!

swamper
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I have had really good experience with GT 5575's with Montec G5 100 grain. Fly just like my field points. The Goldtips are very tough.

oldtimer
04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Goldtip Ultra Lite 400's with Muzzy 75 grain broad heads. I know a lot of people are going to say that 75 grain is too small but with a fast bow the kinetics are still good. Maybe the difference would be like a 30-06 to a 270. both still good. All my arrows , hunting, 3D, and indoor are carbon and all Gold Tips. Mike