PDA

View Full Version : Southwestern-Style Venison Chili

SuzyWeezilfoot
03-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Beef, buffalo or other mixtures of ground meat can be substituted.

6 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
3 lbs. venison chuck, cut into 1/2 chunks
3 large onions, finely chopped
1 jalapeno chile, seeded, finely chopped
8 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp. ground oregano
3Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. chili powder or to taste
1 can of beer
2 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tin crushed tomatoes (28 fl.oz.)
1Chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 each red and yellow bell peppers, seeded, cut into 1/2" dice
1 each tin of kidney beans and 1 tin pinto beans, drained (14 fl.oz.)
1/2 sq. unsweetened chocolate, grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large,6-qt.(6L) pot, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Cook meat in batches until it is well-browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. (Don't crowd the pan or the meat will steam.)Remove chunks; reserve as you cook.

Add another 2 Tbsp. oil; cook onions until softand lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add jalapeno chile; cook another minute. Add garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and chili powder; cook another 2 minutes or until the spices have mixed together, stirring constantly.

Add beer, broth, tomatoes, chipotle chile and salt; bring to a low simmer. Return meat to the pot. Simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Add bell peppers, kidney and pinto beans to the chile mixture on medium heat, uncovered, and continue simmering for 10 more minutes or until slightly thickened. (If the mixture thickens too much just add a bit of broth or water.)

Add grated chocolate; stir until melted. Taste and add Salt and Pepper if needed. Enjoy!!!!

Makes:3qt. (3L) or 8-10 servings
If anyone tries this recipe let me know how it was!!! Thanks Suzy!!!!

3kills
03-26-2004, 12:45 AM
sounds good...might have to try...hmmm maybe if we all go campin lol can u imagine...

SuzyWeezilfoot
03-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Yeah I can only imagine....lol :lol:

3kills
03-26-2004, 03:39 PM
burn burn burn the burning ring of fire....

3kills
04-01-2004, 01:09 AM
just wanted to let everyone know that i have tried this chili recently and its very very good...if u like spicy stuff u will definatly like this...

SuzyWeezilfoot
04-01-2004, 09:59 PM
The other night dewey and I made the chili and its pretty good, but we used 3lbs of beef as apposed to venison, would recommend leaving out the chocolate, it didn't seem to make much difference,as far as the chipotle chile in adobe sauce its in you grocery store with taco shells, burritoes, and taco seasoning shelves, goes great with the whole flavoring of the chile: It definately has some bite!!! 8)