PDA

View Full Version : Merrit #-D Course Complaints

greybark
04-07-2006, 04:02 PM
;-) While attending this weeks 3-D event in Merrit I heard more than a few complaints about the course . I wonder how many chose to complain to each other instead of talking to the person in charge of setting up the course in a civilized and constructive manner .
;-) We must remember that the people who erected the course were volunteers and were doing their best to provide a fair , tough and entertaining course . They would be open to suggestions that would make their job easier .
;-) Just an observation , But I noticed that when everyone was leaving their work was only half done as they were in the process of taking in the many targets .Been there , Done that .
:-) Due to Medical problems I requested a low "target start" for Sun morning and they were more then happy to accommodate me . I enjoyed the event and think they should name the SUMMIT on the course. LOL . To the Merrit gang once again Thank You for your work and efforts to provide a good event .

oldtimer
04-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Greybark. as discussed with you on the weekend, I did voice my opinion to the Merritt group and hopefully they will make adjustments next year. I realize that all these shoots are put on by volunteers as I am one of them at the Quesnel shoots. Having said that I re-emphasize that shoots must be safe for all groups-- 6 yrs old to 60 plus years old and the A course at Merritt was not. If this is not the case then shoots will no longer be for " FAMILYS " MIKE

greybark
04-07-2006, 06:49 PM
:-) Hey Oldtimer , I agree about the 'safe' issue and hopefully they will take your advise and act accordingly . Nice to see you again ,

3kills
04-07-2006, 09:35 PM
well greybark it was nice meeting u at the shoot and hopefully i wil be shootin up there next year...mike i hope u and the family all come back next year...i still havent gotten to have a wobbly pop with ya....

Kirby
04-08-2006, 10:25 AM
well, I bitched and moaned, but reality was I was more bitching cause of my shooting than the course lay out. I do agree with Oldtimer about the A course, and I have mentioned it to my friend who was helping. We will have to see next year.

Kirby

oldtimer
04-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Kirby I didn't hear much bitchin but I sure heard a lot of moaning when I had to wake you up on Sunday morning 25 minutes before we had to be at our target.

oldtimer
04-08-2006, 11:03 AM
:mrgreen: He wanted to sleep another 15 Minutes !!:redface:

Kirby
04-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Mike, I wanted to sleep all day. Definatly wasn't feeling like getting up sunday morning.

Kirby

Onesock
04-08-2006, 04:52 PM
I wasn't at the shoot but do set up various 3-D shoots. Could some of you guys describe what was unsafe so future shoots at other venues do not have the same problem. This is only to ensure future shoots stay safe for everyone. Thanx in advance.
Onesock

Bow Walker
04-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Onesock..........
This has nothing to do with Merritt's 3D shoot but does bear on the request that you made.

At a recent shoot in Nanaimo there was a target that was set up in such a way as to be in a somewhat direct line with another target.

If the shooters at one target over shot the mark they were in severe danger of hitting people who were looking for arrows at the other target.

Definitely not acceptable. Shooting lanes are one thing that needs special attention when setting up a 3D course.

I bring this up just as an example and hoe that it will serve as a guide when future courses are planned.

dan.

willyqbc
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
onesock, the safety issues were with the actual route of the course, and not the shot lay-out. The "A" side started out flat and then dropped into a large steep ravine. To give you an idea how steep, the first shot going down into it was shot for 33-35yards but was later rangefound by sealevel at 57yards so you had VERY steep downward trails to get down into the gully. on the way back up out of the gully you had sand hills with very unstable footing, in some situations you were at the stake shooting and were literally sliding downhill while at full draw. It was the kind of stuff where you took two steps up and slid one back....not the best for little kids, elderly shooters or even someone like Oldtimer with a bad knee. In my opinion you can make the shots as challenging as you want...but the course should not be a torture test for those in less than peak physical shape. From what I understand from Kirby his friend and another young fellow set up that side...probably no problem for young, fit 25 year olds.....but not all 3D shooters are young or are even in top notch physical shape.....just something that can get overlooked by folks who are new to setting up a course. That being said i do agree with greybark that we need all the volunteers we can get but at the same time the only way they will learn a better way to do things is to have mistakes pointed out by more experienced shooters.

just my opinion.
Chris

Walksalot
04-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the Merrit shoot butI help set up the Penticton shoot and I know that constructive criticizm is always welome and I think I speak for anyone who ever set up a 3D course. No matter how hard we try to set up a safe course sometimes in the rush to get a course set up potintial safety issues can be missed.

If you are an archer and live near an area which hosts a 3D shoot then think about offering your services to the club. Many hands make it a joy to set up a course and many eyes can pick up a potential problem. Breaking down the coure when everone is dog tired is made easy by many hands also.

Canuck2
04-09-2006, 04:33 PM
John, you keep practicing at setting up that Penticton course and you'll eventually get it right. Some of the problems last time were - the 10 rings were too small (heck, the 8 rings were too small), not enough mulligans, and no golf carts to transport us old guys. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Bench rests would be nice too - no, REAL bench rests - the kind you can sit on.;-)

Na, you guys do a bang-up job.

BC4Bowhunter
04-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I'll admit the A course was tough and for kids and older shooters it must have been pretty hard going up and down those hills and for a family shoot I can understand and agree with the complaints. As a hunter who wants to go elk hunting this fall it's was a wake up call to get in better shape.I enjoyed the shoot and will go next year again.

Walksalot
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
John, you keep practicing at setting up that Penticton course and you'll eventually get it right. Some of the problems last time were - the 10 rings were too small (heck, the 8 rings were too small), not enough mulligans, and no golf carts to transport us old guys. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Bench rests would be nice too - no, REAL bench rests - the kind you can sit on.;-)

Na, you guys do a bang-up job.

Old guy my eye, you climb like a goat and shoot well enough to place in the ribbons.:smile:

sealevel
04-10-2006, 08:59 AM
As our shooting competators are all getting longer in the tooth we have to think of our senior guys getting around. Me i loved the course in merrit and except for one hill up and down it was an easy trail some extra though could have gone into the trail and made it easyer. Now i just shot abbotsferd and trails are far worse than merrit but thats all they have to work with. I am facing the same thing in salmon arm on side B the old guys want it changed the rest say don`t change it its great i love it. Soo some better trails and maybe the old guys can stay down on the flat and let a younger guy run up and get the arrows.