PDA

View Full Version : Question

FlyingHigh
04-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Just wondering what you guys figure the longest shot you'd be willing to take on a deer would be and still be ethical. i would feel uncomfortable over 30-40 yards. Then again I haven't been shooting too long either.:rolleyes:

mark
04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
what the heck you shooting with? im guessing a bow? but maybe you should clarify! :???:

ruger#1
04-04-2006, 07:57 PM
with a bow i feel safe at 30 yards.

FlyingHigh
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
ya, a bow. actually a PSE Venom set at 60 or 65 pounds. i can't remember. this is the bowhunting forum right? lol

Blacktail
04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
30 at the max

FlyingHigh
04-04-2006, 08:34 PM
is it common to be able to call deer in that close?

Dale
04-04-2006, 09:12 PM
its common if you have the skill and patience to do it. I've called in deer up to 4 yards, on the ground. if you use a treestand all the better. the deer in my pic i called into 10 yards, but i took him with a rifle not a bow. all i can say is have patience. and for the max distance i would shoot, i would have to say, with my ability, 35 yards. i have shot with a guy who could shoot very accurately and consistenly out to 50 yards, but this guy has been shooting a bow since he could walk. have fun callin em in!!!8)

huntwriter
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
How far you can shot with a bow is not a question of ethics. It's a question of proficiency. The general accepted opinion is, that if you can shoot at the range with confidece consistently 3 arrows in a 6" circle at, lets say 30 yards, then your hunting distance would be 20 yards

Being a good archer has nothing to do with being a good huning shot. There are many variables in a hunting situation, such as being nervous, being not able to have a proper stance and body posture, having to make quick shots in unespected directions and many things more. If you never shot an animal with a bow I would keep your shots well under 20 yards.

Yes it is possible to bring a deer close to your stand. Unlike rifle hunting where you can set up a stand just about anywhere within 250 to 300 yards where deer are. Bowhunting is a game of feet, you have to find the exact tree to hang your stand that will bring the deer past a trail that is close to your stand. Bowhunters scout very differently than rifle hunters.

Brambles
04-04-2006, 09:18 PM
what the heck you shooting with? im guessing a bow? but maybe you should clarify! :???:

This is an archery thread:!: What did you think he was going to use, a spear:mrgreen:

Canuck2
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
FlyingHigh, good questions - and good answers to go with them.

I, too, would 'feel uncomfortable' at 40 yards. Although I regularly shoot competitive archery in FITA events where about 1/3 of the shots are at 55m (60 yd), the farthest I have shot a deer is at 32 yards. And I've turned down many at distances slightly longer than that as well as numerous opportunities closer than 30.

There are too many variables, IMHO, to go beyond about 35 yards in hunting conditions, except in rare circumstances. I highly recommend you get to know your equipment really super well and discipline yourself to take shots at game only closer than 25 yd to start with, and then only if an ideal shot presents itself.

Getting close is what archery hunting is all about and you don't have to call. Other strategies include setting up along good travel routes for ambush purposes or spot and stalk. I believe you are in for some enjoyable times.

Ddog
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
i have been bowhunting for about 14 years now,to be perfectly honest with you i have only taken one shot over 30 yards to be excact it was 37 paces so close to that in yardage and it was a good clean shot nothing in front of me but a buck on perfectly level ground. I have taken 37 deer, 3 bear, 1 elk and numerous small game animals. I have also passed on some in hopes that they would come closer. My real comfortable zone is up to 30 yards, however 95% of my animals that i have taken have been within 20 Yards.

FlyingHigh
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
thanks for all the great info. guys. you really answered my questions. i'm getting to really like this site lots of good info.

Bow Walker
04-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I am not "comfortable" shooting at a deer that is over the 30 yd. mark.

That being said if the shot were to be in the open and the deer was unaware of its impending demise, I think that I would chance it out to 35 - 38 yards max.

huntwriter
04-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I am not "comfortable" shooting at a deer that is over the 30 yd. mark.

That being said if the shot were to be in the open and the deer was unaware of its impending demise, I think that I would chance it out to 35 - 38 yards max.

As long as you are confident you can make that shot. Why not. I think there is no rule how far one can or cannot shoot with a bow. The only rule is what feels right to that person in that moment of the truth. I hunt with a bow for over 18 years now and never felt good to shoot further than 20 to 25 yards. I also like to keep rifle shots close, I am sure I could hit a deer way out there but I feel not good about it.

In hunting it's all about what the individual feels confident with and not what others say or do.

sealevel
04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
what bow walker said really depends on the atatude of the deer is he looking away feeding is he alert. Last season i had a whitey jump the string he was 30 yards looking right at me.

Bow Walker
04-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Exactly sealevel.......

if the animal is calm, browsing, and is not in a position to look up and spot you then it might just be possible to get him without him jumping the string.

At 35 - 38 yards the sound of your bow will get to the deer before your arrow will.

sealevel
04-05-2006, 05:39 PM
somewhere i read not to long ago that you would need a bow that shot around 700 fps to prevent a alert whitetail from jumping the string. So its much more important to have a quiet bow then a fast one.

Awishanew
04-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Flyinghigh. Bowhunting should be about how close you can get to shoot an animal not how long the shot was. If you keep this in mind you will be less likely to wound an animal. Shooting foam animals at 3d is nothing like hunting. Best advice to a young hunter is take the IBEP course when it is offered. IBEP stands for International Bowhunter Education Program. It will get you up to speed much quicker than trial and error. Hope this helps.:smile:

huntwriter
04-05-2006, 06:31 PM
somewhere i read not to long ago that you would need a bow that shot around 700 fps to prevent a alert whitetail from jumping the string. So its much more important to have a quiet bow then a fast one.
That's what I have been saying many times too. I rather would not bowhunt than have to use a noisy bow. If I buy a new bow noice is my first concern and will in the end be the deciding factor of buying it or not.

With the average bow the distance where the arrow is faster than the sound is at about 10 to 15 yards. Anything longer than that the arrow would have to be shot at 700fps.

Walksalot
04-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Max, 30 yds

Fred
04-05-2006, 10:44 PM
I used to thing I was deadly at 20 to 30 yards but that was in the back yard and on level ground. Since going to the outdoor 3D shoots, I am no longer sure what a surefire range for me would be. Taking that shot would depend of several factors now. Fred

bochunk2000
04-06-2006, 09:25 AM
40 is my max but I will only shoot over 30 if everthing is perfect and I'm well practiced. Steve.

Bowhisperer
04-06-2006, 07:24 PM
as close as 6 feet and the farthest was 34 meters { range finder} as long as the animal doesn't know your there, what your comfort zone is, all it needs to do is take 1 step and you have a good shot gone bad. All the new bows are whisper quite, have you ever stood downrange to one side and listened to the arrow,featers being the loudest?You can hear the arrow all the way to the target, you don't even hear most bows shoot what with all the dampners and stuff.

Bowhisperer
04-06-2006, 07:49 PM
by the way targets don't move or jump { duck} the arrow and the 10 ring on a 120cm is about 6 inchs and I shoot that at 90 meters.

bwhnter
04-17-2006, 09:56 PM
OK I will through myself in here. I shoot approx 100-150 arrows per day. I have a small 3D range set up in the bush on my property and there are no cut trails so all of the shots are just like the real thing. If you miss the under brush is so thick that you have to be pretty lucky to find your arrow. My hunting partners and I take turns where each shot is taken from. Now I will shoot out to 55 yrds if the conditions are perfect. When I say perfect I mean no cross wind, the animal is broadside or quartering away and unaware of my pressence. I also have to be completely 100% sure of the range and confident with making the shot or I will not take it. Now I have read stories of people taking coues deer @ 110 yrds and that blows my mind. I also see these shows where guys are shooting animals out to 1000 yrds. I don't shoot a rifle as much so my range is limited when I shoot one at wildlife. I believe that each person should set his or her own range based on their individual comfort and ability.