PDA

View Full Version : Racoon

CanAm500
04-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyone hunt these smell little creaters?

I had one climb up my back tree this morning, when I get home I will post some pics.

Iron-Head
04-03-2006, 01:22 PM
I would like to get out and bag a few of them but there seems to be a shortage of them in legal shooting zones.......I guess ill have to take one with my spear:twisted: What about you Paintballer you gunna try for some this year?

CanAm500
04-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I dont know....what does one do with the carcuss after shooting it?

I wanted to shoot this one up the tree with my bro's pellet rifle but mom said "I dont want the dogs going after it".

Do you have to have a tag to bag one of them (racoons)?

smitty16
04-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I dont think you havet to have a tag my brother shot one with the pellet gun in my backyard in yobou

ex bc guide
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
The season for coom is now over march 31, and you do not need a tag for them
Mike

Jager
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I think the season for coon on the Island is April 1-Mar 31 = all year! You just have to remember to renew your licence by the 1st of April. No tag needed.

I think it would be tough to specifically hunt coons unless you've got a dog. They're mostly nocturnal and hole up during the daylight hours. All the varmits that I know were shot in the ol' mans woodshed or 'cause they were harassing the neighbors chickens.

Iron-Head
04-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I guess traps and or snares would be better then?...
Symon

CanAm500
04-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Yes the regs say Apr 1st. And they are also schedual B animals.

But what would you do with the carcuss, I wouldnt want to eat it....rabies...

000buck
04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
recipe for a coon trap.

chicken wire, mudflap,stainless bowl and an old extension cord.

lay the chicken wire down (about 24"x 24")
put a 6" circle of rubber in the center.
stand bowl on rubber fill with water
strip female end of extension cord and install alligator clips connect the nuetral to the chicken wire and the hot to the bowl.
put out dry cat food and plug in the cord

be very cautious of domestic animals in the area as this trap does not discriminate.

when the lights go out ........fricaseed coon. safe trash cans

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 06:23 PM
But what would you do with the carcuss, I wouldnt want to eat it....rabies...
I have known people who ate coons. But I think they where desperate for food.:eek:

Most coon hunters I know hunt them for the fur. The carcass is left in the woods for the other animals. Some take the carcasses home and cook them into a stewe with rice for the coon dogs, supposedly that makes them more eager to hunt coons.

CanAm500
04-03-2006, 06:34 PM
So you just cant "put it in the garbage"?

I wouldnt eat or feed coon to my dogs :eek:

CanAm500
04-03-2006, 06:35 PM
recipe for a coon trap.

chicken wire, mudflap,stainless bowl and an old extension cord.

lay the chicken wire down (about 24"x 24")
put a 6" circle of rubber in the center.
stand bowl on rubber fill with water
strip female end of extension cord and install alligator clips connect the nuetral to the chicken wire and the hot to the bowl.
put out dry cat food and plug in the cord

be very cautious of domestic animals in the area as this trap does not discriminate.

when the lights go out ........fricaseed coon. safe trash cans

I am going to e-mail the town of Lake Cowichan and see what their bylaws are for shooting these little buggers :cool:

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
So you just cant "put it in the garbage"?

I guess you could just use the neighbors trashcan.:lol::lol:

CanAm500
04-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I guess you could just use the neighbors trashcan.:lol::lol:

lol:lol: . But really, I wont be eating a coon, so would I be able to just drop it in the "can"?

04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
We had 4 of them coming up to and INTO the house a while back. Our cats have their own private window opening and a ramp down the the ground. The coons just invited themselves in and helped them selves to the bowl of cat food beside the window. They were smart enough to stay out of harms way as soon as they would hear me trying to put the moves on them, but the second night l set up a trip wire to let me know if they came back. When the shooting was done....one checked out of life instantly, one made it to the corner of the house before finding out if there really was life after death, one absorbed some lead but was last seen covering ground faster then road runner, and the last one........ I don't know, never seen which way it went, and haven't seen it since.
They can be extremely tough little buggers to kill and if corned can fight with determination of animals a lot bigger then themselves....
I don't like raccoons........l still have memories of rabi vaccinations (all 14 of them, plus 2 boosters) from being foolish when l was younger.

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
lol:lol: . But really, I wont be eating a coon, so would I be able to just drop it in the "can"?
I am not quit sure but I think officially it is not okay to dump any dead animal of that size in the garbare can.

But you also could run it trough the food processor a couple times and then flush it down the john.:D
Or simply bury the sucker in the garden... should make good fertilizer.

Adam.c
04-03-2006, 09:23 PM
my dad shot one out of a tree with his .22 and when it fell it was still alive and it hit real hard...there tough animals.

Fred
04-03-2006, 11:00 PM
I got a big old Tom back in the prairies and roasted it up. It was pretty good and the next day I took what was left from the feast and stewed it. It was even better as a stew. Fred

CanAm500
04-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Well if one wont be killed by one shot with a pellet gun, it should run like hell away.

boxhitch
04-04-2006, 07:32 AM
We had 4 of them coming up to and INTO the house a while back. Our cats have their own private window opening and a ramp down the the ground. The coons just invited themselves in and helped them selves to the bowl of cat food beside the window. They were smart enough to stay out of harms way as soon as they would hear me trying to put the moves on them, but the second night l set up a trip wire to let me know if they came back. When the shooting was done....one checked out of life instantly, one made it to the corner of the house before finding out if there really was life after death, one absorbed some lead but was last seen covering ground faster then road runner, and the last one........ I don't know, never seen which way it went, and haven't seen it since.
They can be extremely tough little buggers to kill and if corned can fight with determination of animals a lot bigger then themselves....
I don't like raccoons........l still have memories of rabi vaccinations (all 14 of them, plus 2 boosters) from being foolish when l was younger.
LOL I can imagine this scene !! When the dust settled and the smoke cleared, how did the kitchen appliances come out of the fracus ??! Windows ? :lol: