PDA

View Full Version : PSE Bows Shortening draw length

Rob
05-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Im going to be looking at buying a used PSE(not sure of the model yet) compound. My draw length is 27", just wondering if the current set up is too long am I able to switch cams or do something to shorten it? Or is it model dependant? Apparently its set up ready to hunt, for $400. Thanks Rob

Bow Walker
05-29-2010, 08:11 PM
It depends a lot on the year and the model of the bow. Hard to say without knowing one or the other. A pic would've helped.

PSE "usually" are pretty "workable" in that they are generally pretty adjustable. If you could post a pic maybe "we" could help further.

Rob
05-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks BW, when iI find out the model Ill post it. Kinda got the archery bug for some reason. Cheers, Rob

Jagermeister
05-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Rob, get the year too as well as the model. I'm pretty certain that the bow would need a cam change to get to 27 inch draw length. Most came with a 29 inch draw length cam. Cam modules are still available for most models right back to 2000.

Rob
05-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks, I will. Is $400 pretty decent for a used set-up? What is good poundage to start off with? And is this adjustable as well? Lots a questions eh!:confused:, thanks Rob

Bow Walker
05-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey Rob, there is a Hoyt Magnatec (2002) for sale on here (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50895) and he's asking $250.00 O.B.O.

It's been up for sale for a while now and if he hasn't sold it you should be able to get it for something like $175.00 or $200.00 shipped to your door.

A bow like that will certainly be a good one for your introduction into archery. It should last you for at least 3 to 4 years of great service before you get the urge to 'upgrade'. For less than $200.00 you can get started and save a couple dollars as well.

As for what to start out with - a 60 lb bow will throw arrows into any animal you can get close to and it will also be kind to you at any 3D shoots you care to attend. Questions will keep coming as long as you're interested in the sport - that's a good thing. Fortunately there's a bunch of people on here that can provide answers to you.

huntwriter
05-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Rob. What draw length is the bow set at now? Most PSE models can be adjusted an inch or so up or down with cam modules. Best way to find out is to contact PSE. They are very helpful and of course knowledgeable about their own product.

Like BowWalker said, 60lbs. is a good weight to get started, of course you can go lower and then go up as your muscles start to adjust. Mine is set at 65 lbs. and I've never felt any need to go higher. Most compound bows the pull weight is adjusted by tightening or loosening the limbs, caution though its easy to bottom out or loosen the limbs to much. A few years ago I guided a bowhunter, he used a 60-70 lbs. bow. He had a shoulder injury and lowered the draw weight on the bow. When he pulled the string back he found out in a very painful way that he loosened the limbs too much. The upper limb came loose and hit him square on the noggin, almost lost an eye.

I got addicted to bowhunting almost 20 years ago and it still is a thrill. Good luck.

Rob
06-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Found out the bow is a PSE Triton 3-4 yrs old. Not sure the draw length yet, anyone know if cams are changeable if there is an issue?? Thanks rob

Bow Walker
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
If it's a PSE Triton then it's between 5 and 7 years old as shown below. Check out the pics of each year to match up with your bow and then check out the modue number(s) for the NRG cam. The module(s) should still be available for purchase so that you can get the drw length that you need.

http://tune.pse-archery.com/BowDetail.aspx?Year=2005&Model=0414NC

http://tune.pse-archery.com/BowDetail.aspx?Year=2004&Model=0414NC

http://tune.pse-archery.com/BowDetail.aspx?Year=2003&Model=0308CF

Rob
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Links are'nt working BW, but thanks for the info. rob

Rob
06-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I ve talked with a few people now including PSE. The Triton Im looking at has upper and lower cams, so im ordereing new modules($30 for both) so it'll fit my short wing span:-|. This bow and arrow stuff is a whole new learning curve, thanks for the help guys I appreciate it! See ya at the shoots!.....well not for a while anyway.Rob