PDA

View Full Version : first recurve

ghost
05-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I just purchased a pse heritage recurve it is called IMPALA. It currently does not a sight on it. I would like to use it for hunting what would be a good sight for it. How different would it from the one on my compound.

saddlemaker
05-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Most recurve shooters shoot without sights. however any any 3 pin sight should work.

Bow Walker
05-29-2010, 10:22 AM
I just did a search for the PSE Impala recurve. Couldn't find it. But if I recall correctly the bow doesn't come with sight mounting holes in it, so you're going to have to drill some holes and get some inserts put in so that you can mount a sight to the riser.

Once that is done then you can worry about a sight. As saddlemaker has said - any 3 pin sight will do. I'd advise a cheaper one - one with a plastic body - they're a lot lighter than metal ones.

It's going to take a lot of practice to get good enough to hunt with the bow, but it can be done. You've got to be sure that you can put your arrow into the vitals - from a variety of distances and positions, not just the standing/relaxed shooting position.

Another word of advice - make sure that your broadheads are really, really sharp. The hide/hair/fur on a bear is quite thick and heavy, so your arrow will need to be tipped with a lethal broadhead to be sure of a kill.

Good luck with your venture and think about having a back-up plan.

ghost
05-30-2010, 05:08 PM
thanks for the info. The bow comes sight mounting holes,I will try a three pin sight.Have been shooting it without a sight and am quite pleased with the results.I will be using it in september for deer so I have lots of time to practice.