PDA

View Full Version : How to make targets??

cowboy-up69
04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Ok, well I just got back from the Merritt 3D, and I loved it, had soo much fun! Now I want to make a good target that I can chuck arrows at for hours on end. I heard using hay bales isnt the great idea. And I heard using a burlap (spelling?) bag and filling it up with old grocery bags and paper would work too. Well, can some one give me some ideas on what to use and how to build one...It's not gunna be big, only maybe like 2 feet by 2 feet, and maybe 2 feet deep..
Any suggestions??

Thanks
Cliff

calvin L
04-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Ciff I have two old gunny or potato sacksI have stuffed with plastic bags .I have been shotting them for years . All I do is flaten them out to repack the bag . I have had to replace the sack . I used to shot it at the same spot and the sack material did get shot out . It is the best and cheepest target out there. I always take one with me to camp . We even pack in grain sacks on the horses to use a a target in camp .

cowboy-up69
04-02-2006, 07:25 PM
That sounds easy enough, like someone said to use empty sandbags, it works good I guess. I'll give 'er a try, thanks buddy!

bsa30-06
04-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey cowboy, did you shoot in merritt?how did you do?

cowboy-up69
04-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Ahhhh, well being my first shoot and just gettin a bow and all, I shot 454 outta 800 total for both days, wasnt too bad, but I had lotsa flippin' fun!!!!! Met some pretty cool ppl, every one was helpful and all, it was fun for sure! Definately hooked on bow huntin now!!! ;)

bsa30-06
04-02-2006, 07:39 PM
what are you using as a rest?and arrows?

cowboy-up69
04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Ummm, just a cheap fork rest, and 4560 Terminator carbon arrows..PM me

Iron-Head
04-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey Cliff It can get kind of hard getting all those plastic bags soo I found the easiest way was to go to a IGA or some kind of qrocerystore and ask for there garbage seran(spelling) wrap and other assorted plastics When I asked for it they where more then happy to give me more than I needed So I just made 2 targets.
Worked good for me.
Symon

cowboy-up69
04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks Symon man. I'll see what I can do!

BowSitter
04-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Cliff, I also went to the grocery store and asked for their recycleable plastic and got enough to stuff 5 - 50lb bags! They are better than a target that I paid almost a 100 bucks for!! They will stop an arrow no problem and the arrows pull out with little or no effort....Ron

NightOwl74
04-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Hey now I know what to do with all the safeway bags stuffed under the sink! But where could I find Burlap sacks? I live in Kelowna. Buckerfield's?:?

sealevel
04-03-2006, 05:14 AM
nightowl in vernon theres a vorts coffee they will give you burlap bags there might be one in kelowna.

calvin L
04-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Night owl I too live in kelowna I would would think buckerfields would have them . A grain sack from uni feed will work also and they should have that

bcfarmer
04-03-2006, 07:17 AM
you can also use the 1 ton bulk fertilizer bags...work good for outside of wrapping

doug

Canuck2
04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
While we're on the topic, for those extremely rare :wink: shots that somehow manage to miss the burlap sack, an old hot tub lid (vinyl cover included) makes a great backstop.

bsa30-06
04-03-2006, 06:22 PM
o.k guys this is not the first time i have heard of stuffing a burlap sack with plastic bags, but what i would like to know is how full do you have to stuff the bag.I got a burlap sack from work and a bunch of plastic about the same consistency as grocery store bags, i'm just not sure how full to fill the bag.Anybody got any advice?

oldtimer
04-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Stuff them tight !! very tight !! the best material is like others have said. Old shrink wrap from the local store. Mike

Dayto
04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Card Board compacted and Duct taped works great , Compact about 6" Of Cardboard Tape it real tight are use cardboard ties ,Then use a saran wrap material and wrap the shit out of it to prevent the cardboard from being water logged , these targets worked great for me.

Fred
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
I made a backstop/Target board just like the one in Grand Forks. You cut a bunch of beaverboard(Donacona) in 6 inch strips 4 ft long and layer them one on top of the other(on the flat) and hold them together with a 2x6 framework. This works very well and a 4ft x 4ft backstop is very hard to miss. Fred

cowboy-up69
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I went to the feed store in town and bought 2 burlap sacks for $3!!!!! And my moms boyfriend is comin home from work at 3:30 and Im gunna get him to go back to the mill and pick up some of their old lumber wrapping paper and stuff the bags. You want to make sure u stuff it pretty tight right? Im gunna make one target for the back yard and the other so I can take it anywhere out in the bush and jsut shoot, like when Im camping, or huntin and get bored or usmthing like that.
Thanks guys
Cliff

troutseeker
04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Stuff it real tight, stomp on it with your foot and then do it again! When I started bow hunting seriously I lived on 2 acres in Metchosin outside Victoria. Well I must have had 12 of them tragerts all over the lot, the qwife was real pleased with me and the neighbours would call their pets in everyday when I came home from work and grabbed my bow!

These targets work great with field points, don't try them with broadheads as they' ll go right tru and keep on going...

Troutseeker

cowboy-up69
04-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Well I made one and went out and tried 'er and it was sweet! I stuffed it full of paper and grocery bags and stuff, and then about 3 inches of cardboard at the back, including 2 old telephone books, and none of the arrows went through!!! I was happy, and its small, I can take it anywhere!

rock
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
gunny sacks with plastic shrink wrap packed in works great for a long time