PDA

View Full Version : ula 28

moose hunter
04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
i was reading an article in outdoor life mag (subscribed and lovin it) about the ula 28 an aultra light rifle the stock is not to appealing in looks but for over all functionality sounds good heres the article.....

Whit a newly founded company with the catchy name of Ultra Light Arms introduced a bolt action big game riflevweighing only 5,1/4 pounds,scope rings included,it created a sensation in the hunting world. That was nearly 2 decades ago, and other gun makers are still trying to catch up. Manufacturers and custom gun smiths hjave occasionaly found clever ways to reduce the weight of bolt action rifles,but all have struggled to over come the ponderous mass of the bolt actions them selves. To work around this, stocks were wittled to mere splinters, actions milled and drilled to skeletons and barrels turned to suspicious thinness and stubbed off so short velocity, not to mention accuracy and balance was sacraviced. INOVATIVE DESIGN- ULA went into the heart of the problem by manufacturing a steel action of its own design that weighed only 24 ounces, nearly a pound lighter then the actions used by the other makers. . ULA stocks also of the companies own design,weigh in at about 18 ounces brigning total stock and action weight to under 3 pounds,This makes it possiable to add a barrel of respectable length and thickness and still stay under 6 pounds. In 1999 ULA partnered with colt arms , but the union lasted less then a year . maufacturing returned to west virginia under the origional management and the company was renamed new ULA muhc of the current production is special oreder such as the left hand model 28 we tested, with available calibers from rimfires up to a 416 rigby(ouch!!!) VERY ACCURATE- Ammo used in our 100 yard accuracy testing was Federals premier with 165 grain nosler solid base bt. Nosler custom with 180 grain accubon and winchester supreme with 150 grain balistics silver tip (rifle used 300 win mag) , the aggregate size of all 5 shot groups fired with the barrel cool was 1.550 inches, with the smallest group measuring 1.386 inches with the nosler cutom followed by 1.473 inches with the winchester 150 g silver tips . Follow up testing was fired in rapid order so that the barrel became to hot to touch , resulted in groups about half again as larghe but with out shots tending to string as often happens with light weight rifles. other gun makers have had succes with titanium and other super light designs but for over all looks ,handling,and accuracy the new ula sets the pace and is still the one to beat but at a retail of 3,200$$$$$$$$

better read it all i got serious typers cramp now :D

twoSevenO
04-01-2006, 11:18 PM
I read it all :grin: thanks for posting.

Personally i'd be willing to carry a little more weight on my back then dish out 3,200 :grin:

Barracuda
04-02-2006, 12:11 AM
if i am gonna shell out 3200 big ones she better be a red head and cook me breakfast in the morning:roll: If it was for a special one of a kind rifle (Drillings or SxS) i would consider it but to just save a few pounds on a bolt gun i dont think i would throw that kind of cash at it .

bsa30-06
04-02-2006, 09:18 AM
for $3200 that rifle better shoot it , gut it, drag it back to the truck,and butcher it by itself.

moose hunter
04-02-2006, 12:12 PM
thats a great frigin idea i dont think it could possiably be 3,200 it might probably is but ill do a bit more research about this rifle i hate my 30-06 sometimes weighs a ton

moose hunter
04-02-2006, 12:27 PM
well thta particular model is 3,200 but heres a link to the site they got some pretty sweet rifles http://www.newultralight.com/