PDA

View Full Version : 12 Ga. surprise

kishman
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I took my new shotgun (Remington Mod.870 Express) out to my local pit to "pattern" it for the coming Turkey season. This is my first shotgun, and for that matter my first Turkey season, so i wanted to go about this the right way. On a friends' advice, the first shots I loaded were 2-3/4 inch No.9 shot, a "light recoil" round, or so I was told. Next up was 2-3/4 inch 2 oz. 000buck, now I'm not a big guy, this one shook my fillings loose and gave me a slight headache. So... next up was the 3 inch fedral No.4 "Turkey Magnum"..."how much worse could it really be?" I thought....SONOFAB*****!!!! I'll never play hockey again!!!
I wonder, is there a slingshot season for these things??:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Having fun, Corey

REPO
03-31-2006, 06:38 AM
Ha Ha Ha, that too funny. :D

mark
03-31-2006, 08:20 AM
while yer gettin brave why not try a 3-1/2 inch mag, rifled slugs maybe!

huntwriter
03-31-2006, 09:20 AM
I took my new shotgun (Remington Mod.870 Express) out to my local pit to "pattern" it for the coming Turkey season. This is my first shotgun, and for that matter my first Turkey season, so i wanted to go about this the right way. On a friends' advice, the first shots I loaded were 2-3/4 inch No.9 shot, a "light recoil" round, or so I was told. Next up was 2-3/4 inch 2 oz. 000buck, now I'm not a big guy, this one shook my fillings loose and gave me a slight headache. So... next up was the 3 inch fedral No.4 "Turkey Magnum"..."how much worse could it really be?" I thought....SONOFAB*****!!!! I'll never play hockey again!!!
I wonder, is there a slingshot season for these things??

Having fun, Corey
That's too funny. But you made a valued point here "magnum" loads are not necessarily better. I know of quit a few friends wose accuracy with rifles and guns has suffered greatly once they switched to magnum loads. The reason. It kicks their shoulders and rocks their jaws and thus they are afraid and shoot only if they have too.

I hope you didn't push that turkey load trough a extra full turkey choke too. That will beat you up something fierce.:shock:

3" shells with shot # 4-5-6 is all I ever used for turkey and I can't say that I am worse off than the "magnum" everything shooters.

But then again, I am also still shooting my 39" inch axle to axle, single cam bow with steel pins and aluminum shafts tipped with 125 grain Magnus broadheads, bow set at 65lb. So what the heck do I know.:-D

Fred
03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Kish, I am a fairly experienced Shotgunner and I will be using Remington Turkey loads in 2 3/4 ounce and a half, #2 shot for turkeys this season. Fred

huntwriter
03-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Fred - I.M.O. The #2 bellets are a little large for a turkey , especially for a 2 3/4 inch shell.

The common theory amongst experienced turkey hunters is, that you want to get as many pellets as possible in the birds noggin. The turkey is one of the thoughest birds to kill with a shotgun. They can take a licking and still keep on ticking.

If you use smaller pellets like # 4, 5 and 6 then you will get more pellets per load. This in turn means more pellets will hit the bird in the head and knock it out. On the other hand if only one or two pellets hit the birds head, even # 2, he will laugh and fly away.

A recommended guide to knock a turkey out is, that the vital area (head and featherless neck, spine) should be hit by no less than 7 to 10 pellets. Only in very rare cases is it possible to kill a turkey outright with a shotgun.

Most turkeys are only knocked out hence, why every turkey hunter quickly gets up after the shot and runs to the bird to step on its head and pull on the birds legs as hard a he can.

Oh while I talk about stretching a turkeys neck. Please be mindful of the wings. There have been cases where hunters fractured their leg bones from the flapping wings hitting them. Also do not bend over the bird until he is done flapping and kicking otherwise you are liable to loose a tooth or worse.

Fred
04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I have a fair bit of confidence in my shooting abilities and when I get a chance(probably for the fall Turkey season) I will be reloading my own shotshells with #4 shot. The No.2's were what was available on a moments notice at my favorite store. Fred