PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS??

BC4Bowhunter
03-29-2006, 10:52 PM
I got to upgrade to a newer gps but looking at what is available I'm totally lost. Right now I have a Magellan Pioneer and has served me well but I want a GPS I can download topo maps onto and will receive and track satellite info quickly. Any recommendations on which brand and model I should look at? Thanks

BlacktailStalker
03-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Garmin 60CS. Love it, no complaints. You can get it all if you want it, marine charts, topo canada and navigation. You'll be laughing.

Steeleco
03-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Garmin 60CS.

That's one the get as far as I'm concerned. Although I went for the E-trex for now till the mapping software that is coming late next year is out.

That and I would avoid the X version the increased memory may not be worth the extra money at this point.

BlacktailStalker
03-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Steeleco, there's new mapping coming out ?

reach
03-30-2006, 02:22 AM
That and I would avoid the X version the increased memory may not be worth the extra money at this point. The X versions (I have a 60Cx) also have a completely different receiver chipset that provides excellent reception even under thick cover. I can get a fix inside my house. I haven't done too much hiking since I got it, but on one trail (Houston trail in Derby Reach park) that's under the trees all the way, it never lost the fix - in fact it never got worse than 7 m accuracy (5-6 m most of the way).

In my opinion that's a much more important improvement than the expandable memory.

Steeleco
03-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Reach we must be neighbours!!! Me and the family walk there all the time, 5 min from home!!
I didn't know about the other stuff on the X but they are also not cheap!!!

Blacktail, I found out there is a European system coming in mid 2007 or so that is supposed to rival GPS, that and the government is redoing their maps digitally and to 1:25,000 scale.

I used a Magellan 2000xl for years so my E-trex is an improvement.
I want mapping capabilities but with the map program I just bought last summer I'm good for a while!!

jethrobuddy
03-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Steeleco, I think you are talking about the Galalio system. It is a privatly controlled not military controlled system. It will have better accuracy but it is user pays for that accuracy. There are levels of accuracy and the free level is the same as we have now. Thisis what I have read, and my take on it.

Steeleco
03-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Yes sir I believe you are correct. I read a site where they claimed the new line of handheld navigation units (GPS!!) will be able to use both systems and get much more accuracy. For me it's about the improved mapping, I'm a guy, I like cool stuff like the rest of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirty
03-30-2006, 09:00 AM
The New Rhino color units are pretty nice, especially if you are hunting with a buddy or two. They have built in radios which also show GPS location of the other unit. In addition, they have the weather radio, and are able to perform turn by turn directions in the city. The new models also have increased range and better memory.

reach
03-30-2006, 11:37 AM
For hunting with a buddy, those Rino units would be great. That's pretty much what they're built for.

The tradeoff vs. the 60 series is that obviously the 60 "x" series doesn't have the radio/position features, but it does have the better receiver and expandable memory. The Rinos are also a bit cheaper.

The colour Rinos or 60 series aren't cheap, it's true. But I'm hoping I won't have to upgrade for quite a few years.

I HIGHLY recommend http://www.gpscentral.ca/ if you're thinking of buying online. Their service for me was outstanding.

Steeleco, I'm just down at 192 & 78, down towards Clayton. If you see a tall blondish guy being towed by his German Shepherd on a black leash with a Halti up at Derby Reach, it might be me. I guess I should get a HuntingBC cap.

sub urban bow hunter
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I use mine hunting and fishing, etrex legend c.
Good little unit! if you go with the etrex series the legend c is the way to go, usb connection instead of serial speeds things up quite a bit and it has more memory and a faster processor than the non color etrex legend
so if your looking to spend a bit less let me recommend the etrex legend C

BC4Bowhunter
03-30-2006, 09:02 PM
The Garmin 60 C looks pretty good little pricey but I might bite the bullet. Anyone have anything to say about Magellan GPS? Good or Bad?

FlyingHigh
03-30-2006, 09:10 PM
if you can afford it, i would go with the new garmin rhino 530. frs/gmrs radio, color screen and lots more. around 500-600 bucks. http://www.garmin.com/products/rino530/

johnes50
03-30-2006, 11:35 PM
The Garmin 60 C looks pretty good little pricey but I might bite the bullet. Anyone have anything to say about Magellan GPS? Good or Bad?

I think Garmin outsells Magellan 2-3 to 1. Magellans maps aren't quite as good and they have a reputation for not upgrading their software frequently enough. Although second party maps are an alternative though and I think they are generally improving their product line lately.

I have an older Garmin GPSII+ and it is good enough for me. I would like to get a new mapping autoroute GPS, but find that most GPS's are way to expensive. If I got a new one it would be a Garmin.

fozzy
03-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Garmin 60CS. Love it, no complaints. You can get it all if you want it, marine charts, topo canada and navigation. You'll be laughing.

Ditto on this one. My first gps was etrex Vista which was pretty good too. It's nice to have the sun/moon- hunt/fish tables built nto the unit as well as electronic compass.

troutseeker
04-03-2006, 04:12 PM
I just bought a Magellan Meridian Colour at some liquidation store.. Refurbished cost $239 with two years of extended warranty. It is like new and so far has worked flawlessly. I'll be putting some topo maps on it soon, it uses SD cards to load them on. I get good reception even in my basement!!!

Troutseeker

BC4Bowhunter
04-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Well I just can't swing the 60C. The wife has other plans for my money. I'm thinking of going with the Etrex Legend Color. I can get one for $279. Anyone use this GPS? Also which is a good mapping software for topo maps? I want to get set up for bear season. Thanks

Ozone
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
I use Oziexplorer and it works great for me. No expereince with the etrex but looking at Ozi it is compatable.

sealevel
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I have a megellan sporttex it was 230 bucks . I use it for laying out timber it works in the tall trees on a overcast day were the german will not work on a clear day. The german might be easyer to use but in poor conditions the magelan is way better.

BlacktailStalker
04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
In all honesty, most things have so many bells and whistles to make them seem so great but in reality you never use half of them. As long as it stores waypoints, works more often than not and gets you home, you'll do just fine. I wouldnt worry too much about it, just make sure it does what you want before the time you can return it comes.

Walksalot
04-16-2006, 07:08 AM
if you can afford it, i would go with the new garmin rhino 530. frs/gmrs radio, color screen and lots more. around 500-600 bucks. http://www.garmin.com/products/rino530/

I understand it chews through batteries when all the fuctions are used.
I have a Garmin 12 and it does all I want. I use it in conjunction with Oziexplorer and then looking at Google Earth one can figure out the cut blocks.

BC4Bowhunter
04-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Well fellas I went and bought the Etrex Legend C and for the money I cannot be happier. I like the fact I can download my trips to my PC and see where I have been on a map. I also found the Legend C very easy to use. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

johnes50
04-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Well fellas I went and bought the Etrex Legend C and for the money I cannot be happier. I like the fact I can download my trips to my PC and see where I have been on a map. I also found the Legend C very easy to use. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

That sounds like a good choice. What kind of mapping programs are you using? John

BC4Bowhunter
04-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Right now I'm using mapsource tracking and waypoint manager and Google earth plus.I'm thinking about getting topocanada from garmin so I can put topo maps right on to my GPS.