PDA

View Full Version : bear rifles

moose hunter
03-29-2006, 07:11 PM
well im thinking of using my 22-250 for a bear this spring i have a 30-06 a 7mm and my 22-250 and i know its legal to use the 22-250 so what do you guys think if not the 22-250 then the 7mm or 30-06

ianwuzhere
03-29-2006, 07:26 PM
When are you going to be headin out bear hunting moose hunter? Dont think we will see any for lil while yet- few weeks fo sho prolly- still lots of snow left in the bush...

The 'Hummer'
03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
:rolleyes: I would think the 7mm or '06 would be considerably more appropiate.

islandhunter
03-29-2006, 07:34 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Marc
03-29-2006, 07:35 PM
This is the same guy who thought the 7mm would be undergunned for moose but he wants to use his 22-250 for bears.:confused:

Moose hunter try using google, it's a wonderful tool on the internet. Look up "Black bear hunting rifles" and you'll be surprised what comes up. I'll bet you that the 22-250 doesn't get mentioned as a bear rifle.

Marc.

bigwhiteys
03-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Moosehunter,

I'm still wondering why you put so much thought into what you're gun going to take? If I were you I would take the 30-06 or the 7MM.

Either or really doesn't matter. Pick the rifle you are most comfortable shooting.

I can just see it now... the bear comes out into shooting view and moosehunter says to his buddy "Hey... What kind of shell do you think I should use... I got three kinds here. 150 gr. 165 grn and some 175gr.?"

Buddy replies... "Whatever Just SHOOT THAT F#$^#ING BEAR!"

lol... just buggin ya. Seriously though. Take the gun you feel most comfortable shooting. Although I don't know if you are allowed to take big game with a 22-250? Can You?

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Marc
03-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's legal but I wouldn't recommend it for anything bigger then one of the Island deer. I would never consider it for a black bear.

plumbob
03-29-2006, 07:46 PM
To me the 22-250 is not even an option,like marc said do some researchare your looking for trouble.

huntwriter
03-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Moosehunter,

I'm still wondering why you put so much thought into what you're gun going to take? If I were you I would take the 30-06 or the 7MM.

Either or really doesn't matter. Pick the rifle you are most comfortable shooting.

I can just see it now... the bear comes out into shooting view and moosehunter says to his buddy "Hey... What kind of shell do you think I should use... I got three kinds here. 150 gr. 165 grn and some 175gr.?"

Buddy replies... "Whatever Just SHOOT THAT F#$^#ING BEAR!"

lol... just buggin ya. Seriously though. Take the gun you feel most comfortable shooting. Although I don't know if you are allowed to take big game with a 22-250? Can You?

Happy Hunting!
Carl
What bigwhiteys said, any of the guns you mentioned but not the 22-250. You do make me laugh though for the same reason what Marc said in his first post.

Dirty
03-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Is there a special cub season this year? :-D

Steeleco
03-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I've always said "There's no such thing as a stupid question" BUT this is about as close as I've seen in a long time.:eek:;):eek: Still it was better you asked than to find out after you shot a bear and UPSET him so with that pea shooter!!!

Bison
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
22-250, great for Gophers and Coyotes on the Prairies! Can't imagine a Bear though.

cowboy-up69
03-29-2006, 08:34 PM
To be perfectly honest, ( in my opinion ) Thats just stupid, plain and simple...Thats just my opinion.

PGKris
03-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Are you stupid?

Dragginbait
03-29-2006, 11:40 PM
I thought you were supposed to shoot an animal and have it either die really really fast or very shortly after. Not shoot it, piss it off and have it run away and give it a really bad attitude from then on. BANG FLOP not "ping, oh SHIT" Always use enough gun, have respect for the game...

KMH
03-30-2006, 12:21 AM
I have a 30-06... ploughs threw black bear:-D.... speaking of black bear the season is starting pretty soon:eek: :twisted::twisted:

Foxer
03-31-2006, 12:30 AM
If you use the 22-250, be sure to remove any iron sights from the front of the barrel. That way it won't hurt so much when the bear sticks it up your behind after you cheeze him off shooting it at him :)

(old joke - but a goodie :) )

the 30-06 or 7 would be perfect. Pick one gun and shoot it this year if you can. Switching back and forth is a mistake if you can avoid it. Whichever feels more comfortable - these days there's little to split between them for what you're hunting.

todbartell
03-31-2006, 01:21 AM
my buddy has used the 22-250 on black bear in one instance with one dead bear on impact.

he is a very skilled shooter, and was able to put a 55 gr. sierra into the neck from 150-200 yards

it certainly is not a good choice, especially for a rookie hunter who has never shot a black bear before ;)

Kirby
03-31-2006, 01:55 AM
22-250 is a damn fine coyote, or gopher round. NOT a bear round. Do some searches on google, yahoo, or even this site. 22-250 shouldn't even be considered for bears.

Kirby

moose hunter
03-31-2006, 11:01 AM
mind changed i thot the ammo companies might make somthing bigger then 55, but i will be using a 243 hopefully and i do think that is a great idea, nvm 7mm for sure if i do run into a big bear (not likely if i have a tag thansk to murphys law) "rolls eyes" then ill have the 7mm wanted to try it onm somthing anyways, i just always use a 30-06 or 300 usualy wanted to try somthing smaller

Kirby
03-31-2006, 11:24 AM
but i will be using a 243 hopefully and i do think that is a great idea, nvm 7mm for sure if i do run into a big bear

If your going to have the 7mm use it! I own, and love my .243, I've taken bears, and lots deer with it, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again, however for a first time bear hunter, I would never recomend this round. You got a 7mm, 300, 3006 any one of these is a WAY better round.

Trying to see how small of a rifle will kill a bear is disrespecting the animal.

Kirby

death-junky
03-31-2006, 01:09 PM
I can see it now.... First shot the bear laughs at you 2nd shot the bear snickers 3 shot the bear is getting annoyed 4 shot the bear starts to get pissed 5 shot now the bear is mad 6 shot bear has had enough and charges and you drop your varmint gun and run LOL just kidding man take your 06 or 7mm personally I’m using a 300 win mag this year. bears are tuff animals never underestimate them.
Ttyal
Riley

Schmaus
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Don't listen to all those other guys moosey:grin: Just sign all those new guns over to me before you go become bear poop with your 22-250.:twisted:

Iron-Head
04-01-2006, 05:09 PM
mind changed i thot the ammo companies might make somthing bigger then 55, but i will be using a 243 hopefully and i do think that is a great idea, nvm 7mm for sure if i do run into a big bear (not likely if i have a tag thansk to murphys law) "rolls eyes" then ill have the 7mm wanted to try it onm somthing anyways, i just always use a 30-06 or 300 usualy wanted to try somthing smaller
Moose Hunter what happend to your agreement with bcboy that you would start to spell a little better.Sorry if I am the only one who cant make sence of your typing.
Symon

ratherbefishin
04-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I'll stick with my 6.5x55 swede,if I do my job[holding it straight], it'll do its job just fine.We've shot a few black bears with that cartridge, a nice broadside shot right on the shoulder and brer' bear is going down

BlacktailStalker
04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
You must be road hunting if you are packing two rifles. The big ones are over the hill you're looking at from the road muwahahaha

moose hunter
04-03-2006, 09:42 PM
using my 7mm 175 hornady:wink: u can all shut up any time now:biggrin:

todbartell
04-03-2006, 11:28 PM
you asked for opinions on a public forum, you cant tell us to shaddup :neutral:

Foxer
04-03-2006, 11:34 PM
u can all shut up any time now

ROFL - you won't be using ANYTHING if we get it in our heads we need a new 'bait boy' for bear this spring... :)

Iron-Head
04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah well Its the last time i ever post to one of moose hunters threads........Its kind of wierd how you would so blatently tell a bunch of people you dont even know to shut up wether you are joking or not.If you ask for opinion's for a absolutely ridiculos question then you better believe people are going to reply with mixed results,,,,,,,You claim to know soo much about hunting and rifle ect. yet you cant even figure out that a 22-250 is much to small for a large game animal of almost anytype (not saying people dont use it for island deer ect but..) for bear in any situation is just ridiculos.So before you go around Running your mouth to people think about what they are actually trying to do,,,,,And that is save your ass because lets say you didnt post that question here you would have been mister great white hunter in the woods with a 22-250 chasin after blackies I wander how long it would have been till he became the first real protiens and fats in one of those PG bears diet.:rolleyes: :confused:
Please dont mouth me off.
Symon

ex bc guide
04-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Just look back at all of this little boys posts and threads and then realize what we are dealing with.
Mike

Elkhound
04-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Wow, what a response Symon, and you are so easy going:lol:
You afraid Moose hunter is going to give teen hunters a bad image?

johnes50
04-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I think you pretty well summed it up Symon.

Schmaus
04-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Whoooaa there, easy fellas remember this is hunting, hunting is fun

Iron-Head
04-04-2006, 01:27 PM
He just rubs me the wrong way,and I dont appreciate being mouthed off and I think I speak for allot of fellow hunter's out there that have had negative experiences with moose hunter,I am not the kind of person to speak ill about some one untill I really know him but I am just fed up with his attitude.
As for giving teen hunters a bad name all I can say is I hope one kids actions wont influence the views on other teens on this sight or just in general,I am done now Happy Hunting.!
Symon

BlacktailStalker
04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
I can usually tell the maturity level of each post and guess the age of the guy/girl who posted the thread without looking. There's been a lot of threads covered a billion times by the lower end of the age "spectrum" recently and its kinda annoying sorting through them all to find the actual threads of interest, but, I guess we were all there at one point and it's good to see up and comers. Just keep in mind if you look back far enough on previous threads, you might find more answers than you'd get asking a quetion all ready asked as usually everyone on here is pretty damn good at helping out as much as they can but if it requires much detail, they might be less eager to post if it's been done before.
In the meantime I need to find someone with a 22-250 to back me up on my bear bow hunt LOL !!!!

Marc
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
that's whay I started the youth section so that if people see where the questions are comming from they'll understand it's someone new to hunting with little experience.

Marc.

ruger#1
04-04-2006, 06:49 PM
wow, i almost peed myself reading this thread.

PGKris
04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
As for giving teen hunters a bad name all I can say is I hope one kids actions wont influence the views on other teens on this sight or just in general

I sure hope so. I'm all for getting kids involved in hunting but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. You said you're done so I won't be offended if you don't respond to this ;-)

moose hunter
04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
:oops: :-(

Foxer
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I guess we were all there at one point and it's good to see up and comers.

You bet. I think back to when i was a little kid, and suddenly all those 'sighs' i heard the adults let out make a lot more sense now :)

We've all likely had the gift of pateince spend on us at one point or another.. think of it as payback :)