PDA

View Full Version : Going for a hike....

CanAm500
03-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Well mom wants to take some friends from work on a hike up one of the logging roads. She and her friends are scared of bears so I offered to go, I told her I would bring my rifle....just incase. The area she wants to go has a pretty good bear population, as it is close to town.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has taken a firearm on a hike? Also do I need to bring my PAL or registration papers with me, or is it all against the law?

Iron-Head
03-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Arent you like 13 or 14???

Dragginbait
03-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Take an air horn or bear spray. Less chance of shooting a hysterical woman !!!

Phred
03-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Give the women some bells, a pair of running shoes and send them on their way. As long as your mom can run faster than one of her friends, she should be ok ;)

Dragginbait
03-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Give the women some bells, a pair of running shoes and send them on their way. As long as your mom can run faster than one of her friends, she should be ok ;)Put the fat one in heels:biggrin:

000buck
03-28-2006, 10:52 PM
:lol: Actually Give Them Sturdy Hiking Boots And Pack Runners For Yourself.......... You'll Never Out Run The Bear But You Will Out Run Them. Survival Of The Smartest:biggrin:

Foxer
03-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has taken a firearm on a hike? Also do I need to bring my PAL or registration papers with me, or is it all against the law?

Ok - i'm going to answer your question. But before i do, i'm going to give you some really good advice.

The fact you have to ask this suggests you're too new at this to be taking a firearm into a hostile situation with a bear without a little training. Seriously - firearms are great tools for bear defense, but your head is your number one defense, and unless you've got some experience with bears, or have a lot of experience shooting your gun in a situation similar to what you'll face with a bear, you're probably better off with pepper spray and a big stick.

Get someone to teach you a little before you do it. Seriously. There's ways to train, but if you're not a bit of an old hand at it you can get in over your head real fast.

Ok. Having said that - not only do i take a gun on a hike, really i'm often just hiking to get out in the woods with my guns :)

Any crown land not specifically forbidding guns (like a national park or something) that isn't part of a municipality is generally ok. You can find no-shooting areas and more information in the regular synopsis. Check it out for the area you're thinking of.

You do need your pal of course (c'mon dude - you've got a gun. You need license and certs with you, always. You should know that).

It's also good to take your hunting license with you. If an officer stops you you don't want him to think you're a poacher. Shouldn't be a problem given your circumstance.

Don't do anything crazy like hike around with a bunch of women with one in the chamber or anything.

bcboy
03-28-2006, 11:23 PM
you got your CORE you got a tag then take your rifle, so what!! As long as you are not breakin any laws ..As for bears hey if ya got a decent rifle and a decent cartridge then fine.
The grandma's should have the bear spray,me I hiked for many a yr, it our priveledge

Foxer
03-28-2006, 11:25 PM
me I hiked for many a yr, it our priveledge

Yeah - but the difference is when the bears see you, they start asking if it's legal to carry a gun for BCBOY defense :)

huntwriter
03-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Ok - i'm going to answer your question. But before i do, i'm going to give you some really good advice.

The fact you have to ask this suggests you're too new at this to be taking a firearm into a hostile situation with a bear without a little training. Seriously - firearms are great tools for bear defense, but your head is your number one defense, and unless you've got some experience with bears, or have a lot of experience shooting your gun in a situation similar to what you'll face with a bear, you're probably better off with pepper spray and a big stick.

Get someone to teach you a little before you do it. Seriously. There's ways to train, but if you're not a bit of an old hand at it you can get in over your head real fast.

Ok. Having said that - not only do i take a gun on a hike, really i'm often just hiking to get out in the woods with my guns :)

Any crown land not specifically forbidding guns (like a national park or something) that isn't part of a municipality is generally ok. You can find no-shooting areas and more information in the regular synopsis. Check it out for the area you're thinking of.

You do need your pal of course (c'mon dude - you've got a gun. You need license and certs with you, always. You should know that).

It's also good to take your hunting license with you. If an officer stops you you don't want him to think you're a poacher. Shouldn't be a problem given your circumstance.

Don't do anything crazy like hike around with a bunch of women with one in the chamber or anything.

Good answer Foxer.

The rest of you, common now please. Marc made this thread so that young hunters have a chance to ask questions and these questions deserve a proper answer and not been laughed at or turned into a joke.

There is surley nothing wrong with having fun but if we want to help the young hunters to get better then we have to take them seriously.

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

lcpaintballer - take Foxer's advice to hearth please. Shooting a firearm under stress is a whole different kettle of fish than shooting it on a relaxed range.

Stress shooting situations have to be practiced first. In the case of an attack there are so many things flying trough you head that you barely will have time to think or act if you are not use to it. In such situations you have to act almost instinctive like a perfectly tuned robot otherwise you could be in more trouble than you ever dreamed of.

I have worked around and with wild animals at very close range and can tell you that such stress situation handling can be learned very easy but it needs to be learned first, it is vital.

bcboy
03-29-2006, 02:13 AM
Well mom wants to take some friends from work on a hike up one of the logging roads. She and her friends are scared of bears so I offered to go, I told her I would bring my rifle....just incase. The area she wants to go has a pretty good bear population, as it is close to town.

It aint in a park it aint against the law!!! FSR are generally crown land.

And ya some of these guys here are pretty freakin archaic in my book!!

I learned like most youth of my day, a little from dad and most form yours

truly, I prefer experience to book knowledge. I have hunted black bears

and can tell you this if you have a gun you are better off than not having

one! I hike alot without a rifle so what!! I aint alone in my opion, I dont

believe some of the BS coming here.. as long as you are not a freakin

idiot and I hope a responsible person why not carry a rifle, its open season

on black bears buy a tag.

I carried a 99sav. 308 when I was 14 cuzz me and my cousins all 7 of

us where pickin berrys and we had a wolf scare. I was more scared of

my parents than i was of any animal, as to what to do well some

might figure you should be 30 before you can decide.It aint rockect

science. If ya cant shoot , learn/

CanAm500
03-29-2006, 08:52 AM
And how to you practice shooting under stressful situations? I have been hunting, and I do know how to use my rifle/shotgun.Another thing. It is a waste of my time and other's time to half to scroll all the way down the page just to find a answer to my questions.

CanAm500
03-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Arent you like 13 or 14???

This hike is going to be planned when im 16. And what does this have to do with anything?

johnes50
03-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I haven't heard of a bear attack on the Island Lcpaintballer, so you should be OK without a gun. Everyone I've encountered on the Island has run away when I saw them. Bells and whistle should be good enough. And those women will be chattering so loud you'll be lucky to see anything.

Kirby
03-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Frist off, Sorry about all the BS you got on your way to the answer. Yes you need your PAL and reg cert to carry the rifle/shotgun. Also I would add support for foxers answer, before worring about dealing with a charging bear it would be good to get some trainning, and spend alot of time at the range.

Secondly.

This hike is going to be planned when im 16. And what does this have to do with anything?

You have to be 18 to posses and carry a firearm, unless in the presence of an adult with a PAL or POL.

Kirby

reach
03-29-2006, 10:20 AM
You have to be 18 to posses and carry a firearm, unless in the presence of an adult with a PAL or POL.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseignement/factsheets/minor_e.asp

Sounds like there's a "Minor's License" that may allow you to use firearms unsupervised. It looks like you would have an interview with the firearms officer and your family present and they would decide from there.

Iron-Head
03-29-2006, 10:28 AM
This hike is going to be planned when im 16. And what does this have to do with anything?Because if your that age you may not carry a fire arm without a license holder so only if your mom or one of her friends had her PAL would you legaly be allowed to carry a fire arm,It states in the reg's that if your under 19 you need to be accompanied and under the close supervision of a licence holder.
Im 14 to buddy I know the restrictions.
Symon

Foxer
03-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Sounds like there's a "Minor's License" that may allow you to use firearms unsupervised.

It is possible, if your parents agree, to be allowed to use 'em unsupervised by a license holder.

But it's at the sole discretion of the firearms officer, and he's going to want a reason. "bear defense" may not entirely be a good one. (maybe it is, i don't really know, but at a guess i'm thinking 'not so much')

This would be a different story if you had your adult firearms licesnse - and my reply was based on the assumption you were a licensed firearms owner.
You MIGHT also get the Firearms officer to agree to 'use with parental supervision' - which means you can use a gun without a license holder with you provided one of your parents are. That would mean you could carry even tho your mom isn't a license holder.

Call the CFO and see what they have to say.

Kirby
03-29-2006, 02:04 PM
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseignement/factsheets/minor_e.asp

Sounds like there's a "Minor's License" that may allow you to use firearms unsupervised. It looks like you would have an interview with the firearms officer and your family present and they would decide from there.

That exists, but the chance of the firearms officer giving you one for bear protection is little to none. I use to spend alot of time with biatholon guys, one kid was 17, and tried to get one for carrying his .22 when on the course, he was denied as it wasn't a good enough reason, he was competing nationally, and trained 4-5 days a week, but could only shoot 1-2 when his parents were around:evil: . I think this are pretty much limited to inuit, or other substinance hunters. But worth a shot.

Kirby

CanAm500
03-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes there would be a licenced adult with us, and yes i do have my minors fire licence.

Who knows, I may just end up taking the bear spray and my hunting knife with me.

CanAm500
03-29-2006, 02:25 PM
For all youth wondering:

A minor’s licence will permit you to borrow non-restricted firearms (ordinary rifles and shotguns) for the following activities:

target practice;
hunting;
instruction in the use of firearms; and
taking part in organized shooting competitions.A minor's licence will also permit you to acquire ammunition unless there are age restrictions under provincial law.
As a general rule, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a minor's licence:

You must be at least 12 years old. If you are younger than 12, you may obtain a minor's licence only if you are a Canadian resident and your provincial Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines that you need to hunt or trap to sustain yourself or your family.
As a general rule, you must take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the tests before you apply for a licence. However, an exception may be made if you are a Canadian resident and you need to hunt or trap in order to sustain yourself or your family.All from the CFC.

So if I have my minors licence (which I do), could I carry a non-restricted firearm without an adult?

Foxer
03-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Yes there would be a licenced adult with us, and yes i do have my minors fire licence.

If you have a licensed adult with you - your license is irrelevent. You don't even need a license to use a gun with a licensed adult there. Your license alone is not sufficient tho.

Who knows, I may just end up taking the bear spray and my hunting knife with me.

In black bear country that's all most people need most of the time.

Just remember - black bears have a habit of re-engaging after they break off once sprayed. They'll back off for a few mins, flank you or get behind you, and try again. Pepper spray isn't quite as effective on black bears for some reason as it is on grizzlies based on tests and real world experiences.

So - take a big can, and more than one if possible (get someone else to carry a second can). A single big can is only good for about 3 or so doses - and if it's a long walk back you may need more.

Also remember with blacks that you fight like hell - none of this 'curl up in a ball' stuff. A good hiking stick is valuable - whop 'em upside the head with that if needed.

So if I have my minors licence (which I do), could I carry a non-restricted firearm without an adult?

Not usually.

As mentioned - usually they place some restrictions on it to the effect that your parent has to be 'with' you. Not necessarily supervising you like they would if you had NO license, but out there with you.

Check with the CFO to make sure you know your restrictions. I doubt you can use a firearm all by yourself - but double check. No one here can tell you for sure what your license is restricted to, only the CFO's can do that.

CanAm500
03-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks Foxer. Thats some real good info.

When I was getting interviewed by the CFO, he asked my mom if and what restrictions she would like to have on my licence, she said none...so I dont know, Ill get someone to phone them when im at school.

death-junky
04-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Check with the CFO to make sure you know your restrictions. I doubt you can use a firearm all by yourself - but double check. No one here can tell you for sure what your license is restricted to, only the CFO's can do that.

ya right you do that the CFO is never there i have phoned already 5 times and every time he is out of office till a later date now it is the 10th when he was gone till the 30th.
ttyal
Riley

Foxer
04-04-2006, 07:42 PM
ya right you do that the CFO is never there i have phoned already 5 times and every time he is out of office till a later date now it is the 10th when he was gone till the 30th.

Hmm - i've rarely had a problem getting hold of 'em.

Tell 'em you just smoked a violent grizzlie in downtown vancouver, and what should you do with the body? You'll probably get a call back fairly quickly. :)