PDA

View Full Version : 2 3/4" For geese???

Matty_ola
05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Is a shotgun chambered in 2 3/4 going to be sufficient in hunting geese and duck? What should I have to consider if hunting waterfoul with this size cartridge. Thanks in advance for your info:)

yamadirt 426
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
NO !!! Only a 3.5" chamber with black cloud shells will work. Anything else will bounce off.

J/k if they are in range they will drop with the right choke and shot #.

05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
2-3/4" BB's and find the fastest ones you can. 3" and 3.5" are 1550fps i am sure the same is with 2-3/4". BUT pattern your gun with a few shells and whatever your gun patterns best with use that. BB's and 2's I wouldnt go any smaller.

Easy awnser is yes your gun will do fine shoot 30yds and under and pattern your gun...........And above all post pictures and location to all your geese

PressurePoint
05-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I hunt with a guy who only uses an old O/U chambered 2-3/4. He knocks em out of the sky all the time. Something to be said about shot placement. Think of it as a 300winmag to a mooses gut isnt going to drop him. But a .243 to a moose neck will make him fold.

trapperRick
05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I come from Sask and have shot a lot of geese etc...and all my birds have been shot with a old 12 gauge Ithaca feather light 2 3/4 inch payed $50 from some guy in a yard sale but that was with lead shot, steel may be differant but back in the day I shot more geese with the that old gun than the guys with 3 inch and even one guy that had a 10 gauge that came with us one day so shot placement is more important than anything. Like some say its not the size of the stick it's the stick handler

SHACK
05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Absolutely, its just the size of the payload your sending. I never spend the money for 3 or 3.5 inch shells when I go waterfowling, 2 3/4 knocks em just as dead as 3.5 inch. Get em backwinging, and bust em up!!

Gunner
05-12-2010, 03:25 PM
My wife and I have shot piles of Saskachewan geese with 2 3/4" steel in a couple of old Model 12s,but we are shooting out of layout blinds over good decoys.I usually don't pull the trigger until I can actually see the goose's eye!That's close but the result is a dead bird and no cripples.We don't pass shoot. Gunner

Matty_ola
05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks to all for input it's always appreciated. I'm trying to decide which OU to buy and I've narrowed it down to the browning cynergy classic field in a 3" chamber, but I'm not fond of the grade 2 wood. or the cynergy euro sporting which has the grade 4 stock I like but is chambered in 2.75. So it looks like You've help me make my decision. Euro sport it is:) Thanks everyone and happy hunting:)

Cheers, Matt

Gilmore
05-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I agree with all the above Matt, and have taken many geese myself with a Rem 1100 chambered in 2.75 over the years.

That being said if I was buying new, or even a new to me gun, I would buy at least someting chambered in 3 inch. I personally feel since we went to steel shot the 2.75 has lost a little thump. At least with a 3 inch you have some options.

Just my 2 cents.

Chad

Schutzen
05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Yep
I guess Gilly has the right idea, get the 3".
Personally I have no problem with the 2 3/4" I always hunt over Dekes and watch my range tho.
The added versatility of the 3" is prolly a good idea.

Matty_ola
05-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Now you've done it.... I've got to reconsider again;) I think the only way the 2.75 will be a viable option is if I spend the money on the non toxic shot that has the same punch as lead. However that could break the bank pretty quickly and cause some dirty words to leave my mouth everytime I miss:( Thanks gilly for the advice you're probably right. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Thanks to all once again. always great advice to be had by fellow hunters.

Cheers, Matt

05-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Matty,
Here is your solution...... Buy your nice browning chambered in 2.75 only.
Then shop for a cheap pump gun :)

Gilmore is right though, If you are buying new there are a bunch of shot guns out there and to limit yourself with a 2-3/4 in a new gun?
It is best to hunt ducks with at least a 3" IMO but your thread did not read 2-3/4 vs 3".

Go for option 1 though buy two guns!

bearhunter338-06
05-13-2010, 07:46 AM
No one has mentioned that if you do get a shotgun in 23/4 make shure the chokes will work for steal.

That being said I have never used anything bigger then 23/4 shells for geese and ducks. I found the the key to using steal shot is speed, get the fastest steel shot you can find. I beleave that Kent has a 23/4 inch shell that will do 1450 fps or more.