PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Pads

Seth
03-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Has anyone got any suggestions on a good recoil pad? It's to go on a Model 70 .338 Win Mag. I don't mind the way it is for hunting when you don't notice recoil but I like shooting it at the range and after seven or eight it starts to add up. Any first hand suggestions? Also has anyone tried those Limsaver slip over the barrel, recoil reducers?

Bow Walker
03-25-2006, 06:23 PM
YES to Limbsaver recoil pads!!

BUT don't bother with the "slip-over" variety of any manufacturer. Get the pad fitted to your gun........you won't regret it.

Brambles
03-25-2006, 06:24 PM
No question, get a limbsaver.

Marc
03-25-2006, 06:58 PM
There is a limbsaver on my 45/70, got it off of Gnarly that way. I'd hate to see what it's like without one with some of the hotter loads.:eek:

I put a Pachmyr Decelorator on my 300 mag and I can fire a box off at the range in a T-shirt and not get bruised.

Like everyone has said so far get a fitted pad you wont regret it.

Marc.

Dragginbait
03-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I just had a pad put on my 30/06 made from "zorbathane" ,now it feels like shooting a .243 I've seen a guy on tv wear a suit made of this stuff get hit by a car, thrown through the air and walk away. Real space aged stuff, it was $90 installed. My 7mm is getting one next.

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Pachmayr (http://www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/fieldpads.htm) is a reputable company that makes recoil pads just about for every firearm stock on the market. If you want a brand pad then all the rifle manufacturers make them too but you pay quit a bit more money for a brand pad.

As has been said don't bother with the cheap slip on pads they are useless.

todbartell
03-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Pachmayr Decelerator or Limbsaver R3, both work great

Decelerator looks nicer

elkster
03-26-2006, 03:38 AM
Another vote for limbsaver. I've got one on my 300wsm, and it the cats meow.:D

REPO
03-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I've got the decelerator on 2 of my guns. I think they work great! (custom fit)

Steeleco
03-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I've got a declerator on my Ruger #1 in .338 it's very good, better than the Stock POS!!!

iiijbird
04-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I got a couple of limb savers, They are exellent!! BUT dont get Any Butches Bore shine on it !! Makes them soft and sticky:oops: , Its bin over a year,I thought it might harden up a bit, but not yet....

Tarp Man
06-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Well I finally broke down and bought a Limbsaver pad for my Tikka T3 Hunter. It is a 30/06 and a fairly light rifle at 6 3/4 lbs. So after sending 12 boxes of 180gr ammo down range, I learned to pad the butt a bit :frown: . So my first trip to the range with the Limbsaver, I shot in a T-Shirt. 16 rounds and no bruise, no tenderness. What a difference. It also lengthened the pull a bit which helps with the fit. I highly recommend these pads to anyone. The Tikka is a whole new breed of cat now, let me tell you:grin:
-Tarp Man

elkster
06-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Has anyone got any suggestions on a good recoil pad? It's to go on a Model 70 .338 Win Mag. I don't mind the way it is for hunting when you don't notice recoil but I like shooting it at the range and after seven or eight it starts to add up. Any first hand suggestions? Also has anyone tried those Limsaver slip over the barrel, recoil reducers?
Seth,
When you say slip over the barrel are you talking about the deresinator. This doesn't help with recoil, its made to reduce barrel jump and vibration. For recoil you need the limb saver recoil pad that fits on the butt of your rifle.