PDA

View Full Version : Triple anchor?

BTFever
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
So I have finaly had a bit of time to shoot my bow today, and noticed something...my normal anchors are knucel to the back of the head and string touching corner of my mouth... but then I noticed that if I made a very slight ajustment to the way I positioned my face I could get my string to touch the tip of my nose. weired I thought but it acualy improved my acuracy/consistency.... I had to tune the bow slightly(Ive become use to tuning it whenever I shoot) but no big deal.. what are your thoughts? is this a no-no.. Im still a noobie to archery you could say, and Im wondering if anyone els lets the string touch your nose? pros? cons?

MRP
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
The nose is a good thing
With good anchor points you can take the peep site off.

Bow Walker
04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
There are actually multiple anchor points that should come into play every time you settle into your form...
1. Index finger knuckle tucked in behind the jawbone and up tight under the ear.

2. The sight housing itself - or actually the sight housing reflective ring - fully visible inside the peep sight circle, when at full draw.

3. The string touching the tip of the nose, but not bending or deforming the nose.

4. The kisser button tucked snuggly into the corner of the mouth.

All of the above points are what are termed anchor points, and should be easily repeatable for you - ever time you draw back and settle into the full draw position.

By doing most of (if not all of) those points in the same manner, every time, you create a stable, reliable shooting form that can be easily duplicated. This, then, is the base position for your shooting form and if done correctly every time will lead to better accuracy in both target and hunting situations.

BTFever
04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
aaahhh the quadfecta of awesome shooting... my peep sight is to small for my sight to fit into it... thinking of maybe drilling it out a bit?? would that help or do I need to adjust the peep lower on the string? right now I have it sothat when I draw my bow with eyes closed and have all my anchors in their propper location and open my eyes im looking right at my pins through the peep but it isnt encircling it.

I have trained myself to shoot in the same peep-to-sight location. that would explain all the tuning... now that I shoot almost everyday I am more consistant.

the biggest improvement that I have noticed with the nose touching the string as an anchor is that I am able to shoot much sooner... sometimes almost a draw 1..2... release as soon as I have that anchors and follow through with way more acurate results....

I have been doing some shooting sitting down. some shots as quick as I can and some 30 sec timed delays for real world training(hunting)... I have really noticed a difference on the quick ones.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-27-2010, 09:34 PM
here are some "Professional" shooters (people that actually make a living from shooting bow

you will notice that all their anchor points are similar but none are identical ...
what they all have in common is that they are consistant and repeating each and every time

http://www.specialtyarch.com/photogallery/photo_352_full.jpg
http://www.specialtyarch.com/photogallery/photo_347_full.jpg
http://www.specialtyarch.com/photogallery/photo_421_full.jpg
http://www.specialtyarch.com/photogallery/photo_350_full.jpg

My point is ... it dont matter where all your anchor points are .. as long as they are consistant and repeatable each time for you.

My personal anchors are dependant upon which release I am using ... my fav is my Target 3 so I will use that one ...the pit between my knuckles of fore and middle finger dug into my jawbone ... string on the side of my nose(thats actually dependant on which bow I use ...any bow under a 32 A2A the string doesnt touch my nose at all)... my head postion ... I when taget shooting I draw away from my body so my hand is 4" away from face and then settle in ... if my head is out of position it wont feel right and I would have to either fight the shot or let down and do it again, peep and sight location ... if something out ... so is that

here is a picture of me a year ago and 20 pounds heavier... So I have had to adjust my anchors since, as my body has changed ..so has the way I draw my bow
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/shootin1.jpg
you can see what I mean by string on side of nose as opposed to tip ... dunno if thats the proper way ... I started doing it cause thats what Dave Cousins does ... I find it comfortable and repeatable now

Bow Walker
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
BTFever - do you shoot up at the Nanaimo F&G Club? If so, try to hook up with "BOWSITTER" (Ron). He's a good one to learn from and so is his buddy "Nobby" (John). Both are members here.

Regarding the peep drilling. Yes, I'd suggest that you drill it out a bit (very carefully) so that you will be able to see as much of the reflective sight-ring as possible. It is an invaluable anchoring/aiming aid.

On my bows I don't see the entire sight-ring, as a portion of it is hidden by the bow riser - but I see enough of it (almost all) so that I don't have to move around while I select which pin to put on the target, or to check the sight level to be sure I'm not canting the bow.

Seeing the sight-ring centered in your peep sight is probably as important as tucking your knuckle in the "hole" just under your ear and just behind your jawbone.

Seeing the sight-ring means that you are not moving either your release hand or you bow hand during the aiming process. Moving either of those hands up or down (to acquire the target and pin) while aiming will move your P.O.I. up or down as well. Very inconsistent.

BTFever
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
yah your right it has been inconsistant especialy if I dont shoot often and forget where to hold..:oops:

I am planning on joining the NFGC again in a month or so. I will deffinitly be on the lookout for Ron and John... thanks for the heads up.

Im gonna drill the sight and try it tomorrow. cant wait..I think were onto something..

thanks for all the insights.

BTFever
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
So I drilled it as much as I can. the peep still covers the sight at least its easier to see the level now. I still dont have the sight inside the peep sight when I shoot. Is there a Peep upgrade. right now Im just shooting a 4 dollar special.. any recomendations?? dont wanna buy a new sight, that could get expensive in a hurry.

groups have been tighter since I drilled it.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-02-2010, 09:17 AM
it depends on what you wanna spend ...

I suspect though you have a standard peep that has tubing ... like this one
http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/images/products/27233hunterpeepbohning.jpg
what size is it ... 1/8????? 3/16??? you may need to go into a 1/4"

I would look into a shurz a peep (large or XL)
http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/images/products/1860_61_62_63_64_65_1879.jpg

or if you wanted to to gett deeper into it I would get a Specialty archery peep kit with differant sized removable orafices
http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/images/products/20386-spcarchpeepkit.jpg
the top orafice is what is served into the string, the bottom 5 screw into the housing to make the size that you want ... also Clarifiers are availible if you use a scope and magnification lenses
the thing with these is you have to tune these to the string ... either make sure you staring doesnt twist when drawn or set it up to turn properly to you ... most people add a couple twists to the string so it it doesnt turn when drawn ... witch is a good thing in my opinion anyway

Bow Walker
05-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I've tried many different types and styles of peeps. I've tried all of the ones that BZM has pictured above, in fact my target bow has the Specialty Archery Super Ball on it right now. I am in the midst of putting a verifier in the 'super ball' to clear up the pins for my tired old eyes.

I've just gone back to the Shurz-a-peep that mike's got pictures in the middle shot. Its larger aperture allows me to get the sight's glo-ring into view at full draw.

The tri-split string on the Shurz-a-peeps takes a bit of getting used to though. Every time you're at full draw and you're sighting through it the third strand of your bow string is "ghosting" in the sight picture. It takes a bit of practice for your eye to ignore this "ghostly shade" of the strand and to go ahead and sight normally.

Pretty soon though, you don't even notice the ''ghostly shade" at all. I use this type of peep because my hunting sight (a Spot Hogg Real Deal) won't extend far enough so that I can see the sight's glow-ring when I'm at full draw.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Real_Deal_Sight.JPG http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Spot-Hogg_Real_Deal.jpg

The peep that I had on there was a Jim Fletcher Tru-peep in the largest size. It worked very well - until my string started to stretch a bit and the peep wouldn't rotate enough to give me a clear view. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/lg_trupeep.jpg
The large has a 1/16" hole. The Super Hunter has a 3/16" hole. The Max Hunter has a 1/4" hole.

At that point I put a Rad Peep Aligner on top of the peep sight and then attached the rubber tubing to the riser of the bow.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/RAD_Peep_Aligner.jpg

This corrected the alignment of the peep sight when I was at full draw. I didn't have to worry at all about the peep over rotating or under rotating. It always was square to my eye. Only thing - I hated having the rubber tubing on the bow and on the string. It did break on me once, during a practice session. Surprised the hell out of me.

Now, with the larger Shurz-a-peep, I don't worry about anything.

I've also drilled a few peeps to get a decent sight picture. Only thing was, though, I was never truly satisfied with the results. I'd advise you to try the Shurz-a-peep before doing anything drastic. They only cost between $7 and $10.

hardnocks
05-03-2010, 06:57 AM
I have a little different way of doing this. All that good advise you just got is good if all you are going to do is shoot where it`s flat and level. My most important anchor is my peep. so it really important for me to see my whole sight housing . Sometimes in a hunting situation you have to twist and shoot at odd angels and all your good anchors points on your face are meaningless.

Bow Walker
05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
That's what we're talking about, hardnocks. He's trying to get to where he can see the whole sight picture through his peep. Or - at least the reflective sight tape.

Being able to see either the whole sight housing or the sight tape inside the peep aperture allows the shooter to consistently position the sight pins in exactly the same place each time you shoot.

Bending and/or twisting from the waist (not the head/neck area) keeps this stable sight picture and makes accuracy all that much more do-able.

By keeping the release hand firmly anchored (and bending from the waist) the bow won't be tilted by trying to put a particular sight pin on the target - thus throwing your aim either high or low.

hardnocks
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Bending and twisting from the waste is a good theory. But in real life and hunting it don`t always happen .

BTFever
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I feel pretty confident that I need a different Peep. Shurz-a-peep might just be the way to go. never knew the name but ive seen them on other peoples bows. thanks for the help guyz im sure this is going to take me to a whole new level of consistancy and joy when I shoot.

i'll be on the look out for a shurz. thanks again:-D

Bow Walker
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Stop in at Wholesale Sports to see if they've got them.

Failing that - give Richard a call in Duncan - 800 667 7270

Or you could always order one from these guys. Order two. One Large and one Extra Large.
http://www.grouseriver.com/Eastman_Outfitters_Sure_Vision_Peep_p/arc-000215.htm

Ambush
05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I prefer the G5 MetaPeep to all the others I've tried. I'm using a 1/4" hole peep and it's about right for the Spot Hogg seven pin sight with a 2 3/8" sight ring.

BW: let me know how that verifier works out for you, as I'm considering trying one to.

Bow Walker
05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Well Ambush, at the risk of hi-jacking this thread, I had a chance to look through a #6 verifier and was surprised/pleased at the way it cleaned up and sharpened the pin for me.

I've had scope sights with 4X lenses in the scopes and they brought the target into greater detail but the pins always remained fuzzy and blurred. I tried putting clarifiers into the peep (Super Ball peep) and they worked a bit better, but the pins were still fuzzy.

I was resigned to having either the target fuzzy or the pins blurred. Cuts into accuracy and points big time.

Then my brother bought a verifier kit with the #6 verifier lens in it. Turns out he didn't like it and was returning it - so I got to look through it before it went back. I'd have bought it off him but it wouldn't have fir into my peep.

I like it so much that I've ordered just the #6 lens to fit into my peep and am waiting on it arriving in the mail. If it works out as I hope it will, I'm going to put the same thing on my hunting bow.

Sorry for the hi-jack, BTfever.

BTFever
05-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Im from south africa hi-jack is a daily there... still doesnt mean its right:-D

thanks for the link, I looked online at wholesale but i'll have to go talk to doug behind the desk to see what he really has.

yah for $5 you cant go wrong buying both makes sence, one shipping charge.

my wife wont let me go into wholesale for a while because it makes her nervous:mrgreen: doesnt mean its right..

Rectifier
05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I just improved my shooting a ton with the tip here about the reflective ring! My sight ring happens to be exactly the size of the peep ring, so when it disappears completely, that's the anchor point. Any movement and I see the green ring. Good? Seems to be working for me.

Coming from only ever doing traditional archery I had a good physical anchor but never used a bow sight, so I didn't know about the ring->peep alignment. I was just trying to center the pin in the peep orifice, thought it was kind of a dumb system and wanted to buy a rifle sight style rear sight.

So last week I was shooting 2" groups @ 20yds with occasional outliers, and now, lining up the sight ring, I'm hitting golf tees almost every time @ 20yds and most of the time @ 30yds... can shoot kneeling and hit the same spots... wow, what a change! Feel ready to go shoot some critters!

Also for some reason the 'invisible ring' helps overcome my left dominance so I can shoot with both eyes open now. Don't know why that is, but I guess it makes it easier to ignore the sight picture that has the green ring on it, and shoot the pins that are floating in the air.