PDA

View Full Version : Bow Only Season's

Onesock
03-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I guess this Region 8 thread is getting a bit tattered. I am just curious to know whether the majority of guys here are for or against bow only seasons and the reason's for your opinion.

Gus
03-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I like it because it gives me a chance to start hunting a 10 days earlier. However, if they were to take away the first week of BOS and give it to the generall season, i wouldnt care because for #1, i'm primarily a gun hunter, and #2, I still hunt with my bow no matter what season it is, is long as its legal. So to sum it up, I'm for it if if it allows me to extend my hunting oportunities, otherwise I feel indifferent either way.

Ozone
03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
While Im not against it after looking the regs over for the YOH I wouldnt mind if they gave some more to the kids.

sealevel
03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I am in favor of a bow only season . 25 years ago most of region 3 didn`t open tell the sat. around the 22nt of sept so give bow hunter sept.or better yet.Bc is so big that a couple mu.s in every region could be bow only for the whole season .

Ron.C
03-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm all for them

huntwriter
03-24-2006, 08:47 PM
I would be in favour of a bow season from September to the end of October and then a late season from the beginning of December to the middle of December.
I am also in favour that suburban parks would be opend for bowhunters only, from October to December.

Am I greedy or what.:biggrin:

houndogger
03-24-2006, 08:52 PM
They are fine but I don't rely on them. I hunt with my bow no matter if it is GOS.

brotherjack
03-24-2006, 10:09 PM
I am 100% in favour of bow only seasons. I'd like to see way more of them, and less of rifle seasons. Though heck, I don't really care what I hunt with, so long as it's legal and effective - hunting is just great, no mater how you do it. But trying to get setup on a critter within that 20-something or closer yardage, broadside, unaware, and in a shooting lane - I confess, that's my favourite kind of hunting.

greybark
03-24-2006, 10:22 PM
:biggrin: I have enjoyed the late archery WT season for a lot of years and it it truly a "quality hunt" . Hey Houndogger come up with me and hunt WT the last week of the GOS in Reg 8 with your bow and you may have a different view .:wink:

Most riflehunters I talk to in the field are happy with bow seasons and have wished me luck , much different then 30 years ago.

One member of the Chilliwack F&G Club fought me tooth and nail against the introduction of archery seasons with the "your no different then me and we should have one season for all" argument. This went on for over 30 years and stories from his friends of the late season WT hunt and the now famous Rendell Ck Dinner finally convinced him to buy a compound bow and he attended this years hunt and dinner . He was using a groung blind had some close encounters , stories to tell and ended up being the sucessfull bidder on a treestand at the Dinner.
Some of us are open to new challenges right away, some comfortable with what they use and will never change and others just take a little more time . Be enthusiastic and true to yourself whatever your choice is .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Gateholio
03-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I am primarily a rifle hunter, bows do not interst me as much, despite kiling my first deer with a bow, and killing a few other animals with arrows.

I have no problems with added seasons for bows, although it seems that most of the animals I know of that get taken with bows are in the GOS, anyway.

Walksalot
03-25-2006, 01:17 PM
I love the archery season :biggrin: and I will love it even more once my Hoyt Powertec arrives. Even in the rifle season, if I can find a good place to hang my treestand I prefer to hunt with my bow.

dave_fras
03-25-2006, 03:42 PM
im all for bow seasons...... i dont hunt very muhc with a rifle.... sooo it just makes sense to have it

Onesock
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Gatehouse: The reason most animals you hear of that are taken with a bow in the GOS is because there are no friggin bow seasons.

ruger#1
03-25-2006, 04:21 PM
can some one tell me , can you bow hunt during gun season. and why, or is there only a bow season a week or two before guns and a week after guns there are also places that you can only hunt with a bow in December. i have both, to me it just sounds like bows want all of the pie. there are places in the OK that you can only hunt with a bow. where in the hunting regs does it say guns only. tell me what page so i can read it. my Buddy's hunt all season with bows they don't have problems.and i dont have a problem with bow only season. as far as im concerned if you have two months of hunting you should have one month for rifles and one for bows.

J_T
03-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Archery only seasons, are critical to the longevity of hunting. I support bow only seasons as a unique hunting experience in addition to rifle hunting. Balance.

Bowhunting is a unique wildlife management tool, often addressing a segment of a wildlife population or a conflict that isn't addressed at other times.

Bowhunting, provides quicker access to the hunt than going through a Gun Registry.

I support a quality rifle hunting season. I believe we have that.

I support respect for bow only seasons.

I find, my opinion/position matters little. What does matter is the position of everyone else. So it seems.

JT

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Archery only seasons, are critical to the longevity of hunting. I support bow only seasons as a unique hunting experience in addition to rifle hunting. Balance.

Bowhunting is a unique wildlife management tool, often addressing a segment of a wildlife population or a conflict that isn't addressed at other times.

Bowhunting, provides quicker access to the hunt than going through a Gun Registry.

I support a quality rifle hunting season. I believe we have that.

I support respect for bow only seasons.

I find, my opinion/position matters little. What does matter is the position of everyone else. So it seems.

JT
I agree with most points you made in this post. I too belive that our bow hunting season should be much longer. In fact when I moved to B.C. I was quit surprised to learn how short our bow season is. Everywhere esle I hunted, bow seasons are one moth and longer some even four month long.

I agree that bow hunting can be vital to survival of hunting and in some cases a better wildlife management tool than rifle hunting, i.e suburban areas.

You do mention that bowhunting is a unique experience and you are right. Although I am a hunter with all weapons I hunt predominatly with the bow. Yet I do not belive, in my experience, that it is something much more special than rifle hunting. More challanging, yes absolutly. In an earlier post I mentioned suburban hunting and you replied that this is not your idea of a quality hunt. Yet to many others it can be.

What I have seen in many discussions all over North America is that mostly bow hunters are very militant when it comes to their "right". Not to mention that many bowhunters feel they are better hunters than all the others. "We are more ethical" and "We are more in tune with nature" are just two slogans bowhunters very readly seen to use to make a point. I also met my fair share of bowhunters who trat bowhunting almost like a religion.

I belive it is this "elite" thinking that puts off a lot of other hunters. They feel talked down to. I am not saying you do that, because you don't do that and it is refreshing to hear.

At the end of you post however, you do seem to be a bit angry and feel that whatever you have to say don't matter. I does matter what you have to say. It matters a great deal.

As hunters we should sit together and work something out that suits all of us without resorting to "I am better than you because I am a bowhunter." That ultimatly will be the downfall of all hunting. There are plenty examples around that rifle hunters and bowhunters can work together to the benefit of all. It would take to lang to list these examples here. Perhaps we should at times have a look how they do it in many American states and learn from it. At least in hunting we can learn something from our neighbours.:D If not much else.

Walksalot
03-26-2006, 07:05 AM
I wonder how the hunting season in British Columbia compares to other provinces Right now, in region 8, the combined bow and rifle season starts on Sept.1 and runs through to Dec.10. To lengthen the bow season is an interesting concept and a topic for an interesting debate.

I would like to see more bow opportunities for game other than deer. Here in the Okanagan,as in other areas, we have elk and moose and to have a bow season for these animals has always ticked my fancy. There are bowhunting opportunities in the Kootenays for elk,I don't know about moose, and it would be nice to see a season here.

Having said that, I think there would be opposition from the rifle only hunters as they will start to feel short changed. I have only sat in on one wildlife meeting where we brought up the the subject of enhanced bowhunting opportunities, a season for elk in the Okanagan, and it was met with stiff opposition from rifle only hunters.

ruger#1
03-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Bow hunting, provides quicker access to the hunt than going through a Gun Registry. yes it would, you don't have to go threw criminal checks or have to register your bow . i know people that hunt with bows, for the simple fact. that they are not to posses firearms.

tmarschall
03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
The part of the equation that is missing and perhaps the most important one is... what is the affect of the current seasons on the animal populations. Without that information, making suggestions on hunting seasons is like suggesting a blind man get a hearing aid!!!

Huntwriter suggests looking south to see how we do it down here. The one big difference that I can see, and it applies mostly to elk, is that the rifle season for elk is moved past the first part of the rut. This change has increased herd populations dramatically is my understanding. I know this is not popular with many folks in BC, but if you look at the long term results, everyone could benefit. I am not aware of any significant differences for other species, but checking them out to see what has worked in other places is always a good idea, wether you look to the east or to the south.

One thing they have recently implemented here in Texas on private lands is something like private game management units. The landowner agrees to separate management regulations for his land. There are separate seasons set up for each private landowner. The season is not as critical as the harvest. Each unit has a set harvest, how the landowner reaches that harvest is up to him. The state gives the landowner a broad range of days for hunting, like from September thru February. Something like this might be useful on ranches where crop depredation is a problem. The landowner can charge fees for "tresspass" to hunt, but at the same time he could be fined if he does not meet his harvest quota..More food for thought.... Tom

Onesock
03-26-2006, 06:00 PM
T Marshall; I like some of what you had to say up until the pay to hunt part. These animals are not owned by the landowner and to have to pay to hunt OUR game is not an option. I do agree about the elk and not having rifle season during the rut. This would greatly enhance the elk herds.

Deerwhacker
03-26-2006, 07:20 PM
in my opinion the bow season is a way to save some of the stupid animals. in my first bow season last fall i came within 60 yards of countless animals and if the first season of the year allowed rifles everyone would fill out any tags they wanted to . there is a huge diference in animal awarness from the start of early bow season to the end.

ARC
03-26-2006, 07:52 PM
I primarily hunt with a bow, but will sometimes take a rifle out. I personally think there are enough bow only opportunities in the province. Up here in Fort St John for example, the bow only deer season is just as long as the rifle season. Not to mention, the bow season is in September when the days are long and you can still go out after work. The rifle season is in November when it is dark by 5:00, so you basically only have the weekends, unless you take time off work. We also get the prime time for moose during the rut. In the East Kootenays, not only is there a bow only season, but it is open for any elk....seeing as rifle hunters can only take 6 point or better bulls, that is a huge opportunity. So, you can't just look at the number of weeks bow hunters get compared to rifle hunters, but the opportunities within those times also.

Also, BC covers alot of area, with a relatively small number of hunters. Combine that with the recent mild winters and the fact is BC can support a reasonably long rifle season on alot of species. So, its not that easy to compare us with many other areas in North America, which are in someways forced into long bow only seasons to sustain high wildlife numbers, while at the same time providing a sufficient number of hunter days.

Just my opinion.

huntwriter
03-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Tmarshall - I agree with most you have to say. But I never will agree that a hunter has to pay for walking on someone's land. I know in America this has become a huge money maker, especially in trophy deer areas.I know of a guy in Idaho who paid a farmer the asking price of US$500.00 just to walk across his land and hunt whitetail deer in a river bottom. Yet that famer didn't do any QDM, he just happen to have some large bucks on his land. In Kentuky I know of duck hunters who are prepared to pay a seasonal trespass fee of US$ 20.000.00, also no duck management. it's considered "normal".

I understand that a farmer or racher who practices QDM and leases the land can ask for any price a hunter is willing to pay. But just to step on the land. No. Never. The animals belong to all the people of a state or province and to ask money without doing anything for it is not only not fair but the total commercialization of hunting European style where only the well-to-do can afford to be a hunter. While the rest hunts rats on the local garbage dump. Not my idea of hunting.

Gateholio
03-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I primarily hunt with a bow, but will sometimes take a rifle out. I personally think there are enough bow only opportunities in the province. Up here in Fort St John for example, the bow only deer season is just as long as the rifle season. Not to mention, the bow season is in September when the days are long and you can still go out after work. The rifle season is in November when it is dark by 5:00, so you basically only have the weekends, unless you take time off work. We also get the prime time for moose during the rut. In the East Kootenays, not only is there a bow only season, but it is open for any elk....seeing as rifle hunters can only take 6 point or better bulls, that is a huge opportunity. So, you can't just look at the number of weeks bow hunters get compared to rifle hunters, but the opportunities within those times also.

Also, BC covers alot of area, with a relatively small number of hunters. Combine that with the recent mild winters and the fact is BC can support a reasonably long rifle season on alot of species. So, its not that easy to compare us with many other areas in North America, which are in someways forced into long bow only seasons to sustain high wildlife numbers, while at the same time providing a sufficient number of hunter days.

Just my opinion.

Good points, and welcome to HBC!:D

oldtimer
03-27-2006, 06:52 AM
I really enjoy the bow only season , short as they are , nice quiet time in the bush without fear.
someone asked about other areas, I was at a 3D shoot last year and a group from Edmonton said they could take 4 deer in bow only seasons and areas around edmonton, some right on the outskirts of the city. Not sure if this was accurate or trying to make me jealous.
I also hunt with my bow in the GOS or in a LEH if lucky enough to get drawn. Only when it comes down to crunch time for my freezer will I use a rifle. Mike

sealevel
03-27-2006, 09:00 AM
With a provence that you could stick texas in each corner and 80.000 hunters could we not bowhunters have some bow hunting only. Deer are easy there every where a bow hunter can get aways a never see another hunter for a week. But go down to the bull river and try bowhunting elk in the general season . I am not in favor of shutting down the provence for sept. and give it to the bowhunters . But it would make sence to me to give us say 4-15 in oo6 and 4-22 in 007 to bow only. nobody would miss out on any hunting oppertunaties.

Rainwater
03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Bow Only Means Bow Only. How Much Do You Want The Government To Have To Pay To The Family Of The Guy Whacked During A Bow Only Season Cause He Didn't Read Up On The Youth Season, Why Would He, He's A Bowhunter Not A Kid.

Rainwater
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
All in favour of Bow only seasons. Worked hard to get im and wanna save em for all ages.

Onesock
03-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Rainy: Maybe they will change the wording. Juniors and Bows Season. No more bow only. Just took a step back in time. Ya know, anyone can hunt with a bow in Bow only, they just have to buy a bow.

huntwriter
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
With a provence that you could stick texas in each corner and 80.000 hunters could we not bowhunters have some bow hunting only. Deer are easy there every where a bow hunter can get aways a never see another hunter for a week. But go down to the bull river and try bowhunting elk in the general season . I am not in favor of shutting down the provence for sept. and give it to the bowhunters . But it would make sence to me to give us say 4-15 in oo6 and 4-22 in 007 to bow only. nobody would miss out on any hunting oppertunaties.

That is what I have been suggesting all the time here. That bow hunting and rifle hunting can very well coexist together in that we reserve some areas for bowhunters and others for rifle hunters. Especially areas where the wildlife needs more protection the low impact bow hunting would be a good choice as management tool. But there are also other areas with more game. Such areas could be annualy rotated so that nobody feels left out. For example one year the bowhunters get the early season and rifle hunter the late season and the next year the other way around. All that is needed is a bit of good will from both sides. It works on other places where they have to content with twice or three times the hunter numbers than we do. Why should we not be able to find a suitable solution it here in B.C. too.

Canuck2
03-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I've been following this interesting thread for a few days and actually wrote a lengthy response, which I lost when I tried to send it without being logged in. Grrrr.

So, a brief version. I like encouraging youth to hunt; I teach high school students CORE and run the high school archery club. It's important.

BUT - I don't like having a youth firearms season at the same time as early archery. I think it's dangerous and it certainly ruins an otherwise nice quiet time frame in the woods. Twice last year I had groups of quite close bucks spooked because of gunshots nearby.

At any rate, we have nearly 3 1/2 months of deer hunting, at least here in region 8. About 2 1/2 of that is for firearms. There simply isn't a logical reason why a week+ of youth time (include 2 weekends) can't be scheduled into that without difficulty.

Sure, I hunt with rifle too. There's no room for elitist attitudes regardless of the type of hunting you do. But there certainly are valid reasons for keeping the seasons from interferring with each other.

Rainwater
03-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Thank you!

tmarschall
03-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Onesock
T Marshall; I like some of what you had to say up until the pay to hunt part. These animals are not owned by the landowner and to have to pay to hunt OUR game is not an option.

By all means don't get the idea that I like that part either... its just a fact of hunting life here in Tx. There are a few patches of government land where you can still hunt without paying, but they are few and far between. And yes, legally the game belongs to all residents, but that carries very little weight where tresspass rights are concerned. At the same time, there are many landowners who will let you hunt for free, if you know them well enough.

Huntwriter
I understand that a farmer or racher who practices QDM and leases the land can ask for any price a hunter is willing to pay. But just to step on the land. No. Never. The animals belong to all the people of a state or province and to ask money without doing anything for it is not only not fair but the total commercialization of hunting European style where only the well-to-do can afford to be a hunter. While the rest hunts rats on the local garbage dump. Not my idea of hunting.

I couldn't agree with you more. Maybe you can understand my interest in the forum, having lived with the aforementioned conditions all my life. Then hunter1947 invites me up to walk along beside him when he is elk hunting. Walking miles and miles up and down mountains (anyone who knows hunter1947 knows he puts in many miles per day when elk hunting) without even seeing a fence. I was in hog heaven as we say down here. I shot more game(with my camera of course) than I ever thought was possible. Two hours after hitting the camp sight the first day we took off for the bush, he called in a bull elk within 30 minutes. It don't get any better than that!!!!!