PDA

View Full Version : questioning my 7mm

moose hunter
03-24-2006, 01:13 PM
is a 7mm really enough for moose ive seen posts of people saying their moose run all the time with a 7mm, the bullet is rather small and it wont get higher then 175 grains..why? i bought my 7mm for a bigger more powerful rifle but im thinking now it might just be left until deer season?
:( how many guys here use a 7mm and have thjeir moose run alot?

Gateholio
03-24-2006, 01:16 PM
It's abotu shot placement, and good bullets.

If you hit a moose in the rigth place, it will go down just fine. It's probbaly in the top 3 cartridges that guys use on moose in BC every year.

Ozone
03-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Abselutly right Gatehouse. Ive seen my brother kill a moose with a .243 at 100 yrds. 1 shoot= 1 dead moose.

Gus
03-24-2006, 01:35 PM
nothing wrong with a 7mm.

Foxer
03-24-2006, 01:42 PM
My family has been flattening moose with the 7mm since the 70's. The first moose i ever saw my dad shoot was with a 7mm back when i was barely a teen.

With a decent bullet, the 7 is an excellent moose killer, time and again. cheap bullets at close range were the only ones that ever 'failed' in the animal, and it still died within a few yards of where it was shot.

175 grain partitions have been the mainstay for decades, although last year we switched by bro's 7mm (dad's old gun) over to 160 grain xlc's . Haven't shot a moose with it yet, but i am quite confident what the results will be when we do.

The 7mm mag is plenty gun for moose.

Foxer
03-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh - and you'll get plenty of 'bang-flops' with a well loaded 7mm, same as any gun. Like Gatehouse said - put it in a good spot.

todbartell
03-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Ive shot two moose with the 7mm Rem Mag

one with 175 gr. X's and the other with 160 gr. Partition Golds

both instances ended with a rapid death

7mm Rem Mag is a good moose cartridge, when loaded with premium bullets. I prefer 160 or 175 gr. Partitions, but a 140 gr. TSX would work well too I bet.

Phred
03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I've taken 4 moose with my 7mm. All dropped within 20 feet. I used 160 gr.

black 'n blue
03-24-2006, 04:40 PM
One more vote for the 7mm, its been a relible killer for me with 175 gr. winchester powerpoints. I have never recovered a bullet yet, moose have gone no more than a few yards after being hit.

moosecaller
03-24-2006, 08:01 PM
This moose was dropped in its' tracks one shot with a 7mm 175grn. hornady interlocks. My dad took many moose with the same 7mm all were one shot from 100 yards out to 600 yards not one of them went more than a few feet after being hit, (he used the grand slams in 175 grn) most just dropped where they stood.

http://usera.imagecave.com/moosecaller/Andreasfirstmoose.JPG

islandhunter
03-24-2006, 08:10 PM
my buddy shot a mule deer with his 7 mm in the neck and it almost took its head off. im pretty sure it will kill your moose. you could always try a grenade if thats not big enough!

huntwriter
03-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Nothing wrong with a 7mm. It's fast becoming as popular as the .30-06. As it has been said here before, it's about shoot placement and bullet choice.

I have heard that on this forum a few times that someone said "... and it still run for a while." Call me ignorant but do some of you expect animals to drop dead in their tracks after been hit?

It rarely happens, at least not to me, I have had many heartshot animals and they still run for up to 50 yards. They are dead they just don't know it yet. Last fall my friend keept firing at a buck he shot in the lungs and when I asked why he would waist three more bullets on a already dead but still running deer. He replayed "It's not dead yet. It hasn't fallen."

Always have been cuious about this as I only ever hear here in Canada that hunters think the animal has to drop on the spot.

youngfellla
03-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Huntwriter, I agree. I've seen a deer get shot with a 375 H&H from about 25 yards with a 260 Accubond through the chest, and it turned and jumped away like nothing happened. In total it ran about 110 yards before going down. When we gutted it, we found that it's heart was totally destroyed, yet it ran a long ways after being hit. Like you said, it was dead but didn't know it.

By the way, 7mm is way too small, you need a .600 Nitro Express for moose.:lol:

And an iron shoulder.

brotherjack
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
It's about two things:

Bullet placement

Bullet design

You need to properly place a bullet in the vitals, that is designed for big critters. Grain size of bullet doesn't really matter (bigger will tend to be better, but not necessiarly), it's if the bullet was designed to perform properly on a critter of the size you intend to shoot with it.

Look at the boxes on the bullets you buy. Winchester at least (and probably most others) will state on the box what size of game the bullet/load in question was designed for. Buy accordingly, and you should have no problems whatsoever.

ruger#1
03-25-2006, 12:41 AM
moose are you talking 7mil mauser or 7mil mag, they are both good for moose, handloads work very well for the 7 mil mauser. place your shots in the kill zone. and youll be okay.

03-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Call me ignorant but do some of you expect animals to drop dead in their tracks after been hit?

Of course!!! First shot every time. No running in the thick stuff aloud and most definitely, no running down steep hills to die 100 yards away STRAIGHT down!!!:eek: :x :-D

The 7mm is more then big enough to do task if your good enough to put the bullet in the right place for a clean kill. Most hunter who have been around a few years will have their own ideas of what constitutes a good rifle/cartridge combo they consider ideal for moose (or other critters) but the reality is just about all center fires except the smallest would be sufficient to knock a moose down, if you do your part. The 7mm ballistics are more then adaquate to tip over anything in north america......

johnes50
03-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Nothing wrong with a 7mm. It's fast becoming as Always have been cuious about this as I only ever hear here in Canada that hunters think the animal has to drop on the spot.
I think there's a few of reasons for that.1. We're overachievers.2. Canada's so big we don't want to chase animals clear to Saskatchewan3. We don't want to spill our drinks.

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I think there's a few of reasons for that.1. We're overachievers.2. Canada's so big we don't want to chase animals clear to Saskatchewan3. We don't want to spill our drinks.

Good one. :biggrin:

moose hunter
03-25-2006, 11:27 AM
its a 7mm mag, well gave her a test run and boy did she cook and the pad that camwe on the gun absorbed most of the recoil,jammed once just cuz i accidently picked up 2 shells but no biggy, i am a very good shot under pressure so i think ill be able to put it in a good spot, thanks for the input guys i feel much more confident now

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 02:48 PM
its a 7mm mag, well gave her a test run and boy did she cook and the pad that camwe on the gun absorbed most of the recoil,jammed once just cuz i accidently picked up 2 shells but no biggy, i am a very good shot under pressure so i think ill be able to put it in a good spot, thanks for the input guys i feel much more confident now
Wasn't sure when you wrote "7mm" but assumed that is what you meant. For once my assumption was right. :) I stay by what I have said, a 7mm mag is plenty gun for every North American game including bison and grizzly. Heck you even can go to Africa for some plains game too.

death-junky
03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
7mm is good for anything in NA - the biggest of bears.
like others have said shot placement is were its at.
ttyal
Riley

Ltbullken
04-01-2006, 08:23 AM
is a 7mm really enough for moose ive seen posts of people saying their moose run all the time with a 7mm, the bullet is rather small and it wont get higher then 175 grains..why? i bought my 7mm for a bigger more powerful rifle but im thinking now it might just be left until deer season?
:( how many guys here use a 7mm and have thjeir moose run alot?
7mm is good. As with everything hunting related in the discussion of effectiveness of different calibres, shot placement is important. I've shot moose with a 7mm Rem Mag and it did no more running - stumbling actually - than any other animal then dropped. Shoulder or neck/spine/shoulder junction or heart will drop a moose real quick. Lung shots are lethal but I've seen big animals run for a while on high and back placed lung shots with bigger calibres. Aim just above the front leg joint and just below the shoulder and you shouldn't go wrong. Have a close look at the anatomy of a moose to get an idea where to shoot. I try for the boiler room around the heart - you'll hit the heart or the major arteries in that area - nighty nite!