PDA

View Full Version : gobble gobble

boscheefish
04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
first year for me to hunt turkey, and today, first real day out, had the chance to run into a gobbler, he caught me off guard cause i thought it was just some other hunters calling, but as it got closer it sounded too good to be fake. so i wanted to put up a decoy but had no time so i hit the ground right by a nice big stump, saw 2 hens in the clear cut first followed by a big fluff of feathers doing what they do best to impress the ladies. every time i called he would gobble back, eventually he ditched the 2 quiet hens and made a b line for me, so shaky and excited got the shottie ready, he entertained me for 20 mins, and than it all fell apart ,,,,,a truck came into the picture,far off, but it was enough to end my chance, so to the turkey that got away, i know where you live,,, ill be there tomorrow.

amazing experience for a first timer, i think i got spoiled a little

300H&H
04-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Way to go. Turkeys are so much fun.

Dad & I went out today for a quick hunt. Very few toms gobbling but I did call in a hen to 22 yards then it went behind Dad about 10 yards from him. It then fed around him for 10 mins before leaving. Could not got the tom closer than 100 yards (best guess). The hen did not even let out a cluck. Things are picking up. I think next week will be very good hunting.

Next time don't worry about the decoy if the tom is getting close. Better to spend your time setting yourself up & be ready. You learn something every time. Now go get him & post losts of pics.

huntwriter
04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Great story. I hope you get him. If the tom is not disturbed he will keep his daily routine like clockwork. Be back at the same spot and same time the next day and he will be there too.

It's something to see and hear a gobbler work his way into a set up. After over 16 years of hunting turkeys the hair on my neck still stands up when I hear the thunderous gobble of a big tom. I guess it is the same for elk hunters when they hear a bull bugle.:)

OutWest
05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Great story. I hope you get him. If the tom is not disturbed he will keep his daily routine like clockwork. Be back at the same spot and same time the next day and he will be there too.

It's something to see and hear a gobbler work his way into a set up. After over 16 years of hunting turkeys the hair on my neck still stands up when I hear the thunderous gobble of a big tom. I guess it is the same for elk hunters when they hear a bull bugle.:)

Indeed it is. But I have found turkey hunting to be equally as exciting!

huntwriter
05-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Indeed it is. But I have found turkey hunting to be equally as exciting!

Never hunted elk but it's on my "to do" list. However, I hunt turkeys and guide turkey hunters all over North America for the last 16 years and I am still addicted to it.

OutWest
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Never hunted elk but it's on my "to do" list. However, I hunt turkeys and guide turkey hunters all over North America for the last 16 years and I am still addicted to it.

I agree with you. I've only been hunting turkey for 7 years now but I keep learning and improving my skills and each year is more exciting than the last.

Elk hunting is an absolute blast I hope you get the chance to do it next season!