PDA

View Full Version : D-loop on a Longbow?

Bow Walker
04-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Anyone else need to (or want to) put one on? I've had a couple injuries to my release hand/wrist in the past and now there is arthritis in the knuckles.:evil:

So - if I want to keep shooting my new longbow I've got to add a D-loop to the string. So far I've notice nothing different about arrow flight and/or accuracy....and yeah, I'm not that accurate to begin with.

The P.O.I. at short range (10 - 15 yards) is still the same, my form hasn't altered too much, and it doesn't feel all that uncomfortable. I think I like it.:-D

Bowzone_Mikey
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Anyone else need to (or want to) put one on? I've had a couple injuries to my release hand/wrist in the past and now there is arthritis in the knuckles.:evil:

So - if I want to keep shooting my new longbow I've got to add a D-loop to the string. So far I've notice nothing different about arrow flight and/or accuracy....and yeah, I'm not that accurate to begin with.

The P.O.I. at short range (10 - 15 yards) is still the same, my form hasn't altered too much, and it doesn't feel all that uncomfortable. I think I like it.:-D

If anything ...you accuracy will improve as you are taking out the human factor in releasing the string and making the release more consistant with the mechanical release aid

Bigbear
04-24-2010, 08:46 AM
The Only Thing that would be a Factor would be, is if you shoot Competitively, you Now would be in a Compound Class.

OOBuck
04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I have seen it done before Dan
I don't know what the deal was
with the individual if an injury
or something else. What ever works
for you is what it comes down to..

I could imagine it would only increase
accuracy as Mike mentioned.. I shot
fingers for years and don't know why
(now) I ever did!!!

Bowzone_Mikey
04-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I cant say I have seen it on a longbow ... but seen many on recurves ... competitive wise they were already in the recurve aided class as they had rests and sights ...

Bow Walker
04-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Well, I've no intention of adding sights or a rest to this bow. It's just a stick-n-string and I like it that way.

The few arrows that I shot were on target enough that I'm pleased. The lack of pain and resulting soreness (for a week or so) from shooting are a welcome thing - which was my intention all along.

Now I've just got to get used to the strangeness of it all. One thing that I did notice though was that the arrows that did shoot (six all together) still had a tendency to want to come off the shelf on the draw.

I was looking for that to have disappeared since, with the d-loop, I'd now not be twisting the string as I drew. I think that the d-loop needs to be straightened a bit or I'm stil imparting some torque when I draw.

I've only had a chance to try this once so far as it's been pee-ing rain for the last few days. I refuse to take it out and shoot in the rain - yet. I've waxed the bow itself and the string has plenty of wax on it but I still haven't taken it out in the rain. It's to new and good looking.

Kody94
04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
What kind of release are you using?

Bow Walker
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I use a Fletcher release called the Fletch Hook.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Fletcher_Fletch_Hook_.jpg

Here's a shot of the bow.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Nov_20_2009_008.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16335&ppuser=529)

Kody94
04-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks.

I use a Fletcher Flat Head on my compound, but hadn't given much thought to trying a release on any of my recurves. I have had a problem with my shoulder though, and shooting the compound with the release seems to make it a bit worse (pulls on a slightly different spot on my shoulder because my hand and forearm are rotated a little compared to finger shooting...more rotator cuff, less bicep). I've contemplated switching to a different release to see it it helps.

Bow Walker
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I went to this one (I used to use the Fletch Hunter Shorty) because it is easier to load in a hunting situation. I don't even have to look down to get the release on the string/loop, I can do it just by the "braille" method.

I feel that I get a cleaner release with this type. This release is more like using a single finger to shoot with, rather than a double finger pinch-type release (caliper), which could release the string a bit un-evenly. Probably just my imagination, but it makes me feel better anyway.

I also have a Flathead release, which I keep in my pack as a back up. I've actually got five releases that I can use - 2 Fletch Hooks, 2 Fletch Hunter Shortys, and 1 Flathead. I think I'll "retire" the Flathead as my back up and just go with the two Hooks.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
4ster ...if you dont mind.... Post up a pic of you at full draw ... preferabbly from directly behind you looking downrange and one from beside you getting an image of your anchor point.

Both of your recurve and compound bow ....

I have found that on recurve and trad bows (or finger shooter for that matter) one hooks his fingers into his mouth whaeras with a coupound bow with release aid ones hand is turned 90 degrees up to 180 degrees to lock their knuckle behind their jaw bone as an anchor ...

you problem might be that your draw just might be a little off lenth (long or short) on the compound bow

The Hermit
04-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd like to try your rig one day Dan... sounds interesting.

Bow Walker
04-27-2010, 07:11 PM
No problem Bill.