PDA

View Full Version : Flyfishing line weights

dirtyharry
03-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I have a 9' #6 weight fly rod that I have been using for fishing lakes for trout for several years. I am going to try river fishing this year for the first time. Several people have told me to get #8 line as it will cast better. Is this okay on a #6 rod? I thought the rod was best with the line it was matched for.

I will be fishing out here in NL for AT Salmon (steelhead size) and trout in the rivers. But when we move to the Island this year I would like to try fishing the cowichan. Will this be enough rod or should I maybe think about a different weight. It is a really good trout rod G-Loomis and I don't want to break it.

Rob

03-23-2006, 04:55 PM
The fact that you have a nice loomis rod would be reason enough not to try it.:wink: It might work, but if it didn't you would certainly be the looser.
Lines are matched to rods for a combination that gives the best performance of the two. Mixing them up will probably work but not as good a a matched combo.
http://www.flycraftangling.com/ These guys are BC gurus, so they may have something on their site

Steeleco
03-23-2006, 05:53 PM
I recall it being accepted to go up or down one weight but two is a little heavy. Try getting a weight forward or some kind of shooting head line in 6 weight. I fished for pinks in the indian river with my 5 weight sage rod and it was a little taxed to say the least. You might be expecting a lot but it is a loomis so if it breaks you can alwasy get it replaced!!!

ruger#1
03-23-2006, 08:41 PM
if its a #6 rod then you could do a #7 or #5 , a #8 would be hard on the rod , i have a #3 st croix and i use a #4 line on it, that rod of yours should be good for sockey. ive caught rainbows up to 26 inches on my #3 weight and it was fun. i use it more then my #6.

kishman
03-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Your Loomis rod will work perfectly with the line it was wieghted for, also; the rivers you'll be fishing back there will not require the huge double haul cast so you should be in range of plenty of fish with a #6. A couple of my "distance freak" buddies use 1 wight heavier on thier dry lines but matching the rod to the line has always caught me just as many fish:D

PGKris
03-24-2006, 10:59 AM
6 weight for atlantics and trout should be fine. Just go with what you have and don't play them too agressively. 8 weight line on a 6 weight Loomis will cast like a wet noodle.
KRIS

steel_ram
03-28-2006, 02:49 PM
For fishing Island rivers like the Cowichan in the winter for Steelhead or Salmon you'd be better off with a heavier rod. A big steely or even a big Chum will be hard to turn in heavier fall thru spring water.

On the other hand, in low water for Cowichan browns or fishing summer run steelhead in some smaller VI streams a 6 weight is great.

dirtyharry
03-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Nothing is available here besides what is at walmart and canadian tire. So I called the Fishing Hole back in edmonton. They recomended that I stay with a #6 line since my martin VFR reel is a 5/6. They said I would not get enough backing on if I went to a heavier line. I will try it for now in the next few weeks. If I like river fishing as much as lake then when we move to duncan this summer I will by a #8 Rod and for salmon and steelhead. Better than trying to make the rod do something it wasn't designed for. (casting #8).

Rob

Johnnybear
03-29-2006, 07:35 PM
9' #8 all the way for river fishing and beach fishing on the island.