PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

Adam.c
03-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Hey guys last season was my first season out hunting but have been going with my dad for a couple years now. I live on the island and i dont know how early or late in the season the deer are up high or down low and when you say up high like how high do you mean?

Marc
03-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Adam I'm still trying to figure that out myself.I was out hunting this past December and saw tracks in the snow the night I got there. It snowed and I didn't see any fresh tracks up there for 2 straight days. I guess it all depends what the weather is like will depend if they come down or not.

03-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Your questions are influenced by a lot of factors.....time of the year, the breeding seasons, the weather, and even hunting pressures.
Pre-rut, the males tend to be in bachelor groups and more often then not l have found them at higher elevations then does.
l have seen both mulies and whities at or above tree line. The breeding season will bring everyone together and is probably the best time to see bucks on the move, although pre-scouting and checking out areas may be very successfull in getting a shot at a nice animal, earlier in the season.
Personally l find the rut the most productive time to be out hunting....find good numbers of does and sooner or later the bucks will be around, its just a matter of putting in the time.
Snow in the late season will start animals down to lower elevations where food isn't as hard to dig up, although by that time access to those places are limited for the same reason the deer are on the move.
All being said and done, its all hunting and nothing is written in stone, l have seen animals in places that l would bet money there were none, and other times gone home without a sighting in areas that pre-scouting always turned up bucks.......

sealevel
03-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Adam in lite snow areas deer will stay up high as long as they can till they run out of feed or the snow gets to deep. In heavy snow areas deer will start moving from the high country when the first snow flake flys so it really depends where you are at.