PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Data Requested - What Elevation did you find turkeys at?

Rutger
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
If you could complete the poll, it would be appreciated. I'm collecting data based on your experiences observing Turkey in South Eastern BC.

What Elevations did you find your turkey's at?

The Dawg
04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Usually about 3ft down, about -18c. Usually shrink wrapped too.

OutWest
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Where we hunted they were all over the place. High and low. Gotta learn to call 'em or you're in for a much tougher hunt than need be :)

mark
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
The elevation changes with snow melt.... there is always valley bottom, private land type birds.
The bush turkeys follow the melting snow, chasing the very small shoots of green grass!
I found them at much higher elevations than ever before this year, and all the yahoos were hunting down at the valley bottoms! :-D

Lone Ranger
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Started low and moved high as hunting season wore on. We're seeing them up well over 3000' right now. LR

igojuone
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Just wondering if your next poll is what region did you see turkeys in and the one after that is what time of day did you see turkeys and ..........?

Rutger
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Nope. I know where they are. I can find them. I'm just curious to find out if they have a preference up here or if they migrate vertically. Next poll will be on directions that the "turkey tree" face. I would have guessed southern-exposure, but actually only saw them on northern-exposure hills this year.

Just wondering if your next poll is what region did you see turkeys in and the one after that is what time of day did you see turkeys and ..........?

J_T
04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't think southeastern BC has an elevation below about 700 metres? Or are you not asking about elevation but height above the valley bottom? For the most part in the EK, the turkey season demands that we hunt the bottoms. Last year I think we had snow patches through the season. With much elevation gain there isn't much feed during the spring hunting season.

Rutger
04-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Oliver - 300m
Grand Forks - 507m
Rock Creek - 597m

There may be others below that, which is why I included it in the survey. I intended to be above sea level. Since any other reference would be useless not knowing the "valley floor" that was used as a datum.

Although I did do a piss-poor job of clarifying this in the poll. Thanks for pointing it out.

I don't think southeastern BC has an elevation below about 700 metres? Or are you not asking about elevation but height above the valley bottom? For the most part in the EK, the turkey season demands that we hunt the bottoms. Last year I think we had snow patches through the season. With much elevation gain there isn't much feed during the spring hunting season.

huntwriter
04-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Turkeys usually are where they can fulfill their needs with a minimum on effort. Having said that I spoke to a hunter who killed a bird at about 9,000 ft. above see level.

Especially the Merriam's, the ones we have here in BC, are known to stay at quite high elevation if it suits their needs or if the hunting pressure in the valley bottoms forces them to relocate.

However, most turkeys, the Merriam,s included, prefer to stay in the lowlands where food, water, shelter and cover are more readily accessible within a short distance. While turkeys are excellent flyers the do not like it and prefer to walk wherever and whenever possible.

gamehunter6o
04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
On a dark night, we find them 4 foot above ground level sitting on a fence. You shine a torch in their eyes and whack them in the head with a stick. Saves a lot of ammo.:-D

Rutger
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
On a dark night, we find them 4 foot above ground level sitting on a fence. You shine a torch in their eyes and whack them in the head with a stick. Saves a lot of ammo.:-D

:D Yah, but you Kiwis could blast them quietly, with your LEGAL silencers... so I'm double jealous.