PDA

View Full Version : turkey

stever
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM
anyone know of a good MU for a turkey hunt?

Ddog
04-18-2010, 06:54 PM
NOPE,,hmmm said it was too short, so N O P E :)

huntwriter
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Anywhere between Grand Forks and the Alberta Border along the U.S. Border. You are likely to encounter more hunters than turkeys.

Rutger
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Out this past weekend. Saw NOBODY day 1 and 2, Saturday the woods were crawling with road-hunters driving around gobbling out the windows of their trucks!

huntwriter
04-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I was out all of last week. There was so much really bad calling from hunters that the turkeys all shut up the moment they heard a crow or turkey call. I watched a flock in a open field from the distance. When a hunter called the birds scattered as fast as their feet could carry them into the woods.

I predicted four years ago that this will happen when hunters came on here and said that turkeys are stupid and could not tell the difference between a real turkey call and a almost real call. Today the BC turkey, mostly thanks to untrained calling and calling tactics, is one of the most challenging birds to hunt in all of North America. Interestingly enough many hunters that visited my seminars and courses are quite successful at killing toms.

On the last evening of my week long hunt I put a fully mature gobbler to bed. The next morning my partner messed it totally up by moving against my strictest advice. That's what you get when you take out novices that then think they know better than a veteran turkey hunter.

Rutger
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I attended one of Othmar's first seminar's up here. Last year I blundered about the woods trying to apply all the stuff I learned. This year, although I have not bagged one of these wily b@st@rds yet, I have found them. The beauty is that so far all of his advice has rung true. It was like a lightbulb clicked when we found two jakes and a hen walking through a little meadow towards a stream that ended a 1/4 mile from a farmer's field. Too bad my calling needs work. Thanks Othmar!

I was out all of last week. There was so much really bad calling from hunters that the turkeys all shut up the moment they heard a crow or turkey call. I watched a flock in a open field from the distance. When a hunter called the birds scattered as fast as their feet could carry them into the woods.

I predicted four years ago that this will happen when hunters came on here and said that turkeys are stupid and could not tell the difference between a real turkey call and a almost real call. Today the BC turkey, mostly thanks to untrained calling and calling tactics, is one of the most challenging birds to hunt in all of North America. Interestingly enough many hunters that visited my seminars and courses are quite successful at killing toms.

On the last evening of my week long hunt I put a fully mature gobbler to bed. The next morning my partner messed it totally up by moving against my strictest advice. That's what you get when you take out novices that then think they know better than a veteran turkey hunter.

300H&H
04-23-2010, 10:45 AM

YES....I DO !!!

300H&H
04-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Out this past weekend. Saw NOBODY day 1 and 2, Saturday the woods were crawling with road-hunters driving around gobbling out the windows of their trucks!

I find that so funny to watch, but maybe it works for them.
I sit about 18 yards off the road and can see other trucks go by. :-D

Lone Ranger
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Its pretty quiet out there now. Season opening was crazy, within a few days it was dead quiet. Lots of turkeys out there, not hard to find.

Grand Forks and area has TONS of them, lots of empty roads to look on too. They're fairly high up (around 3500'), but they respond to calls fine. Santa Rosa Rd in Christina Lake (9 km) has tons. LR

Mik
04-23-2010, 05:01 PM

On the last evening of my week long hunt I put a fully mature gobbler to bed. The next morning my partner messed it totally u
by moving against my strictest advice. That's what you get when you take out novices that then think they know better than a veteran turkey hunter.
That's why they call it HUNTING! You can teach and watch all the videos you want, but in the end "one individual" who think he/she knows best, will try something that he/she THiNKs is best for the situation at hand! I guessing the end it makes other individuals better hunters, if you can adapt ;)

huntwriter
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
That's why they call it HUNTING! You can teach and watch all the videos you want, but in the end "one individual" who think he/she knows best, will try something that he/she THiNKs is best for the situation at hand! I guessing the end it makes other individuals better hunters, if you can adapt ;)

Oh I can adapt alright. Been doing it for over 16 years.:-D Trouble is when I go hunting, unlike some, I go to kill something not just admire the land and nature,...bla, bla. I can do that at home with my wife and family in the park. I needed a Merriam's to finish my turkey grand slam and thought I will do that in my home province and take a newbie along. Bad decision on my part. Trophy hunting and newbies don't mix well.:-D Well at least my partner had a great time, he heard a tom gobble for the first time in his life.

Lillypuff
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I have seen lots in the fall around Lake Koocunusa and have seen them above the pub in Yahk. It is a turkey fellas not like you are telling the guy where you saw a 6 point bull, or a bachleor heard of big mules. If you are not gonna help the guy out don't reply

300H&H
04-24-2010, 04:37 PM

Sounds like you should be taking me out, not the rookie. :wink:

moosinaround
04-24-2010, 04:41 PM
They are in every MU in BC!! Save On, Superstore, Costco!! lol

300H&H
04-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Trophy hunting and newbies don't mix well.:-D Well at least my partner had a great time, he heard a tom gobble for the first time in his life.

Othmar...you still did a good thing. Its never (well almost never) wrong to take a rookie out. But if you are wanting to do a hunt for yourself then go by yourself. Just my opinion. Ive had to learn the hard way new hunters do mess up. Just like I did when I started hunting. There is a learning curve that can be shortened with the help of experienced hunters.
Just don't take the new guy to your hotspot and expect him not to make it his hot spot. I did that. Now hes there alot. :(

300H&H
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
They are in every MU in BC!! Save On, Superstore, Costco!! lol

The only way to ensure you get your turkey. And it will not cost as much. :wink:

huntwriter
04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Othmar...you still did a good thing.

Yes I did. Just seeing the smile on his face when he saw and heard gobblers cannot be paid with money.

But if you are wanting to do a hunt for yourself then go by yourself. Just my opinion. Well, for ones I thought I can manage a rookie and a boss gobbler at the same time. I guess after that many years of turkey hunting I got a bit to confident. I was proven wrong and will go by my self next season.

Just don't take the new guy to your hotspot and expect him not to make it his hot spot. I did that. Now hes there alot. :( Never done that. I keep the hot spots to myself. Had a hunter follow me once and I took him on a scenic tour then walked into the woods, with camera crew in tow, to the other side where another vehicle was waiting for us.:-D

300H&H
04-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Oh, btw Othmar. Dad & I got our tom opening morning. :-D

huntwriter
04-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Oh, btw Othmar. Dad & I got our tom opening morning. :-D

Great!! Congratulations to the both of you.

SHAKER
04-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Well thanks to you as well Othmar we got our birds too. We walked into the timber with a whole lot more confidence this year, and a couple birds to prove it at the end of it all.

huntwriter
04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Congratulations to you and your dad on getting a turkey this year. This makes my day as I sit here battling a nasty cold with high fever that has pinned me down for almost a week now.:mrgreen: