PDA

View Full Version : Do you need more than one?????

Sitkaspruce
03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi

New to the site and just getting back into archery. I see lots of names that I recognize from other forums.

I have been reading up a lot on all the new tech stuff out there and I keep seeing hunters that refer to their main bow and back up bow. Do you really need a back up? How many people have a back up bow? And if you do is it relatively the same as your main bow?

I have a Hoyt Vtec as my main bow and I have an older (98) Browning Summit II that was my bow up until this year. I have been thinking about selling it but keep see reference to a back up bow.
Just want to know what other think about a back up bow.

Thanks

Kirby
03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
I've never had a back up bow till now, and so far never needed it*nock on wood* . I have come very close to needing it, or at least the spare parts. I've always had a spare sight, rest, release, peep. And all my specs are measured, and I have needed them.:cool:
Depending on how strapped for cash ya are, and how much you can get for your bow, I'd keep it as a back up. Even if its just there to get a friend into archery, once or twice a year.;)

Kirby

dave_fras
03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
ive got a the vtec also..... but i do keep a blank pse just incase anything does go wrong... i got a really good price on it so i just has to haha

huntwriter
03-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Most achers who hunt and compete on 3-D archery tournaments have two bows. One for hunting and one for the competition shooting because the two styles vary vastly from the requirements of the equipment.

Some hunters have a backup bow, which pasically is nothing more than an older bow. In your case your Hoyt would be the primary hunting bow while the Browning would be the backup bow or the other way around, depending with which one you feel more confident.

My main hunting bow is a 39" axle to axle Buckmasters bow. I like it for hunting because it is deadly quiet and so well balanced that I do not need a stabilizer. Neither do I need noise dampening on the risers. All I have are string silencers. This bow is very forgiving and I trust it to do the job well.

The Mathew bow I have is very good but not as quiet and a bit finicky to shoot if my stance is not perfect, which it never is in a hunting situation. But that is only me, other I know are very happy with that bow. Therefore it is my backup bow, because I do not take it with me hunting every trip.

I agree with Kirby, if I where you and you do not need money badly I would keep the Browning, it is a good bow.

BlacktailStalker
03-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah I've heard about back up bows a lot as well. I always felt that if I had an extra 2 g's to blow on another bow, I could find far better things to spend that money on. I can see the reasoning between the 3d comp bows and hunting bows though. To each their own as long as they're having fun right

huntwriter
03-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah I've heard about back up bows a lot as well. I always felt that if I had an extra 2 g's to blow on another bow, I could find far better things to spend that money on. I can see the reasoning between the 3d comp bows and hunting bows though. To each their own as long as they're having fun right

You do not need to spend big bucks on a backup bow. The Mathew bow was given to me, otherwise I would never have got one. Nothing wrong with that bow but I am a cheapskate. Neither have I ever felt that I need to show of my gear in the woods. I am a hunter not a fashion carrier.

If you need, or want, a backup bow look in an archery store. Most have trade-in bows that are still very good but not fashionable anymore. You can pick up such bows for very little money and still kill a lot of game with it.;)

It's not the bow or the brand of the bow that dispatches an animal it is the person pulling the string.

sealevel
03-22-2006, 07:11 AM
I have two bows one for 3d and one for hunting but now they are are both set up the same. I am planning on a trip north they both will be coming. Its nice to have two .

Walksalot
03-22-2006, 07:29 AM
I own a Browning Midas Hunter as my only bow right now and am curently looking to buy another bow. I have decided on Hoyt with the cam and a half. I think I will keep my Browning as I don't think I will get much for it. Also, I think your bow is a similar one to mine and it is an excellent bow for treestand hunting.

FullDraw
03-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Back-up Bow! I have a diffrent bow for every day of the week!:D
I have 2 recurves and a long bow, My wife has 2 bow's as well. We just collect them. I shoot my long bow a lot but will be using the new TD2 Chekmate I just bought, Gotta get her tuned in for hunting season!

FullDraw

J_T
03-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Bows are a nice addition to the living room wall and a nice conversation piece. Particularly to visitors that may not feel as passionate about hunting. It can lead to all sorts of enthusiastic conversation.

I have but one bow that I shoot. Until I can shoot it perfect everytime, I don't feel like playing with much else. I have a longbow, that my son shoots.

I am getting older however and I must admit a lighter poundage bow for those cold days in the treestand would be a nice addition.

JT

Sitkaspruce
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys.

I am going to keep the browning. My better half has been on me to get rid of some stuff that I have doubles of and one of those is a bow. Thank god she doesn't know about all my guns!!!!:eek: :biggrin:

Cheers

huntwriter
03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys.

I am going to keep the browning. My better half has been on me to get rid of some stuff that I have doubles of and one of those is a bow. Thank god she doesn't know about all my guns!!!!:eek: :biggrin:

Cheers

You never can have to many gadgets and doubles are always good, just in case something fails then you have a backup. That's the excuse I use.:biggrin:

Walksalot
03-24-2006, 06:34 AM
In my youger days I sold a couple of firearms because I wasn't using them and in no time my family was grown up, my son was into hunting and I was sorry I had sold them.

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 09:50 PM
In my youger days I sold a couple of firearms because I wasn't using them and in no time my family was grown up, my son was into hunting and I was sorry I had sold them.

Hindside is 20/20 as the saying goes.:biggrin:

BC4Bowhunter
03-26-2006, 08:27 PM
What about the excuse "more is better":tongue:

Fred
03-26-2006, 10:09 PM
And just how many bows doe's Don have??:wink: Fred

The 'Hummer'
03-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I think it is like firearms, the more the 'merrier'. My wife wouldn't necessarily agree, however, you can never have too many,;) but you can have too few. My friend @ Archery Lanes in Sherwood Park AB. got me started with a mid range package. A Darton Maverick, XX75 2413 arrows and all the required trimmings. Then, as a gift to myself when I quit smoking, I got a Hoyt UltraTec, & trimmings for target shooting. Comp. Pro 300's for outdoors & CXL 150's primarily for indoors. T h e n, as a retirement gift, I chose a Hoyt CyberTec, & the required trimmings, for hunting & 3D. Again, Comp. Pro 300's. After having said,"you can't have too many" I have weakened decided to 'thin' things out a little. I've taken the Darton, about 4 doz. + arrows & trimmings to a local Sporting Goods store for sale on consignment. The quietest seems to be the Darton with XX75 & XX78 aluminum arrows.My hunting partner suggested I should keep it & use it just for shooting with fingers.:idea: I may still need it!!:!:

Canuck2
03-30-2006, 11:09 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif Re: Do you need more than one?????

Absolutely!:mrgreen: