PDA

View Full Version : A real bugger.

Iron-Head
03-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Well i was talking to my buddy from the vedder today and he said that the natives have decided to start gill netting the steelhead again,After the short lived idea that they would not gillnet steelhead and inturn get more of another spieces of salmon in the fall. I find this to absolutely suck considering the water levels are already soooo low that any of the fish that do make it can hardly even get past lickman. I heard of a couple farmers who have dumped old straw bails to wipe out the nets in previos years,It seemed to work pretty good.......Mabey they could come to the rescue again.

BlacktailStalker
03-21-2006, 11:46 PM
That would really F$@!in' piss me off if that were my home river. When I lived in North Van the natives lined the lower Capilano with shopping carts and the salmon were trapped. The little kids would "practice" spearing the coho. It was sick.

huntwriter
03-22-2006, 12:17 AM
But we can't blame the natives for it. They just do what the government grants them. If we would get the same deal, such as no bag limits in hunting or fishing and are not "obliged" to live up to any ethical standards, what ever they might be, then we would do the same thing as the natives do.

So we really need to blame the government for this disaster. Which happens not only on the rivers but on land with hunting too.

Fred
03-22-2006, 10:26 AM
But we can't blame the natives for it. They just do what the government grants them. If we would get the same deal, such as no bag limits in hunting or fishing and are not "obliged" to live up to any ethical standards, what ever they might be, then we would do the same thing as the natives do.

So we really need to blame the government for this disaster. Which happens not only on the rivers but on land with hunting too.

I very much doubt that most of the people who post here would abuse the wildlife like the people that we just read about.
I do however agree that the various levels of Govt. are to blame for the abuses and the playing field really needs "plowing and leveling". Fred

sealevel
03-22-2006, 11:04 AM
I kinda agree with huntwriter the more you are given the more you ask for.I think very few of us would be differant if everything was free.

PGKris
03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Well that just seems f***ing stupid now doesn't it!? I hear on the news all the time about how the natives are trying to conserve their resources and they go around tooting their conservation horn but in actual fact they are out there NETTING steelhead? I'm sorry but that's bull-youknowhat. They shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Iron-Head
03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
I still cant help but have a problem with it......Like if they are saying that they need all those special harvesting rights because thats what they where able to do before "white man came" Then by all means hunt and fish to your hearts content but dont use high power rifles and monofilament nets,Use your traditional ways a sharp stick or a piece of bone.:mad:
Symon

Iron-Head
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Another interesting piece of information that was just brought to my attention,2 natives from the lower mainland have just had there charges dropped after they held 2 Game Warden's in there boat hostage with assault rifles for over 24 hours.....There one comment that they made was that they where upset that they wherent going to be able to party during there house arrest.But that doesnt matter now BECAUSE THEY HAVE HAD THERE FRIGGEN CHARGES DROPPED!!. Now just think if that was you or I who had done that what would we be facing.....probably 25 to life for recless endangerment and many more charges.Its just like the case where this young guy was walking along a river fishing and by accident started fishing on the band land.....Two young native guys from the tribe got so angry that someone would dare to fish on there land that they beat the sh!t out of him until he was a vegetable.
I see a big problem with this how is it that they can use and abuse the law soo much and get away with it.:confused:

kishman
03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
They also netted Tunkwa lake last year, A lake! Trout don't freeze worth a darn so I don't know what they could've done with all those (muddy tasting) trout. And I think the reason we don't see more of them go to jail is something like 60% of the prison population in Canada is native.

huntwriter
03-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I very much doubt that most of the people who post here would abuse the wildlife like the people that we just read about.
I do however agree that the various levels of Govt. are to blame for the abuses and the playing field really needs "plowing and leveling". Fred
With all due respect Fred, the only reason we do not do this anymore is because we have been preached to about conservation and that we should feel humble and what else for well over a generation now. Before then it was us, the white man, who exterminated the elk, turkey, ducks and gees. In other words we have been "shaped" but not because we wanted it.;-)

The natives on the other hand have been very much left to do what they dam well please. In fact if a native hunts the way they do than that is called "cultural heritage". If you and I do that then we are called "unethical slobs". Therein is the difference. Double standards by the government and how regulations are applied.

.270boy
03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
It really pisses me off that the firstnations can net fish the whole river. Im not much of a fisherman and dont salmon fish the river to often.. but how is it there right to net the whole place? Im sure people have seen it not only on the vedder but the fraser etc too... nets across the river in low spots it seems liek theres hardly a chance for the fish to continue up the river. Yes they we're here first, yes they have the *right* to do this.. But I'd love to see some regulations imposed on them since we have them.. in our day and age when everyone should have "equaty" since we are all equal why should anyone be treated differently then anyone else.. Plus how is this a sacred way to fish or anything along those lines. It cant be good for the fish stocks and out in here in chilliwack it seems most of those salmon get sold to non firstnations people for 10-15$ I see it quite often:rolleyes:

I think I strayed from my point a little, but my point is, The firstnations should have regulations imposed apon their fishing activities to so its not so much of a "free for all"...

bigwhiteys
03-22-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't agree with the rights granted to first nations in these regards either. I even have my Metis status!

If the hunt/fish is for sustinence, they should have to apply and provide proof that is what it is for and be granted special permits not a free for all license. And if that was the case I think non-native families should have the ability as well.

They abuse the resources and I have seen it many times in several areas around our province.

Sustinence, my ass when they are selling the fish out of their trunk on the side of the highway.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

lip_ripper00
03-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Well i was talking to my buddy from the vedder today and he said that the natives have decided to start gill netting the steelhead again,After the short lived idea that they would not gillnet steelhead and inturn get more of another spieces of salmon in the fall. I find this to absolutely suck considering the water levels are already soooo low that any of the fish that do make it can hardly even get past lickman. I heard of a couple farmers who have dumped old straw bails to wipe out the nets in previos years,It seemed to work pretty good.......Mabey they could come to the rescue again.I can't find anything on the local fishing pages about this happening I would ask your buddy where he has his information from and post it on www.fishbc.com (http://www.fishbc.com) or www.angleingbc.com (http://www.angleingbc.com) and get the local fish commuity aware of this

PGKris
03-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Sustinence, my ass when they are selling the fish out of their trunk on the side of the highway.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

This is what REALLY gets to me!!! Sustenance my ass is right!! Since when is selling salmon I could have had a chance to catch sustenance? That is definitely bullshit.
Netting steelhead......as if steelhead stocks don't have enough problems.....you can be damn sure that if I get the job I applied for with the Steelhead Recovery Team I'll be cutting nets....off the books.