PDA

View Full Version : A different stupid question

sgt.maj
03-21-2006, 04:37 PM
I am also new to hunting and will be new to owning a hunting dog. I grew up with dogs, my first being a golden retriever so am familiar with actually having one as a pet. But I would like to find out what the best dog for my needs will be. First it needs to be a family dog. Second I would like to hunt bird. Third, I would like a dog that I can take deer and moose hunting. Is there a dog that will fit all those requirements? I gather a retriever will do the first couple, but can you train them to track and point? Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I would ideally like to get another Golden for sentimental reasons i quess but am open to anthing. Also is there any web sites that offer training advice?

Thanks

Fred
03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Not that I am any sort of authority on dorgs but I think you might be wanting a GSP. Oh and welcome to Marc's place! ;) Fred

Islandeer
03-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the site, try goggling Mike Lardy training tips, or goggle up national retreiver club.

sgt.maj
03-22-2006, 06:27 PM
The German Pointer looks interesting fred. Do you own one? If any one here owns one I would like to hear more about them. I would rather here from a current owner than info from web sites that are trying to sell them.

bsa30-06
03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
sgt.maj, try ruger#1 he has a couple i think he might have pics of them in his gallery.

ruger#1
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/dogs_002.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1830&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=699)Sgt. these are both gsps and they both like the water. the liver colored one has treed two bears and the other one is still learning. they have short hair and not to much of a smell. they are also fun to watch in the field. the liver wont back down from bears and she is built like a rock. good with kids and they both sleep with a cat. they will stand in front of the fish aquarium, and watch the fish. i like them and they are a mid size dog, liver is 55lbs,and the other is 47lbs, but every dog is different , and its what you want,not what every one else wants you to have. if you get a dog get one that is already trained, or is a puppy and can be trained. the one that has flecks was a year old when i got here, and i had to break her of alot of bad habits, these dogs like to run, so i recommend a shock collar if they get to far away, after a while all you have to do is tone them and they come back. Mark

ruger#1
03-23-2006, 10:00 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/pals_003.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2059&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=699)heres what i meen about cat and dog

DieselDog
03-23-2006, 11:10 PM
I have two german shorthairs . They are exellent hunters and great family pets. They are good with kids. Like ruger#1 says gsp's run and run, and run...

lip_ripper00
03-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I have a gsp crossed with a dalmation. No black, looks like a liver and white dalmy, hates water loves my kids, cats questionable probley my fault. NOTHING moves around my neibourhood with out him knowing:biggrin:

Sasquatch
03-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I have a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Great dog with a lot of hunt in him. He points, retrieves, loves the water and is a wonderful pet. I'm going to start his tracking lessons this spring.

I don't think you can go wrong with a GSP though and I've met more than a couple of Lab owners who think the world of their dogs, with good reason.

My feeling is that finding a breeder who hunts his dogs and understands what you are looking for is very helpful in getting started correctly, regardless of what breed you choose.

Good luck!

Fred
03-24-2006, 12:40 AM
I am more of a cat person Sgt. but I have read what others think and have met Ruger and Lip-rippers GSP's. They don't fib, these are nice well behaved dorgs! :biggrin: Fred

sgt.maj
03-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys. I have been looking into the GSP's and am starting to really get interested in them. It will be a toss up between one of them or a Golded Ret. I was having trouble actually finding a place to buy GSP in the lower mainland, so if any one know where I can go to take a look, please pass along info.

Thanks again.

bsa30-06
03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
i have a golden ret. and she is a great family pet she is very protective of the kids , and they can do what ever they want to her she is very good natured.She has never been used for hunting or trained for hunting but has a real hate for any bird that lands in her yard, and she seems to like skunks (she ain't very smart).I have also met rugers two gsp and they are very friendly and yes they do get along with the cat (i have seen this).I would think the one advantage that the gsp's have is the short hair my ret. makes a hell of a mess of everything she comes in contact with.As a family pet and with kids you cant beat the good nature of the golden ret. but for a hunting dog i think i would want something with short hair it would just be easier to take care of, but i dont think you would have a problem with either one of these two breeds.

Mooseman
03-29-2006, 10:44 AM
I am also new to hunting and will be new to owning a hunting dog. I grew up with dogs, my first being a golden retriever so am familiar with actually having one as a pet. But I would like to find out what the best dog for my needs will be. First it needs to be a family dog. Second I would like to hunt bird. Third, I would like a dog that I can take deer and moose hunting. Is there a dog that will fit all those requirements? I gather a retriever will do the first couple, but can you train them to track and point? Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I would ideally like to get another Golden for sentimental reasons i quess but am open to anthing. Also is there any web sites that offer training advice?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to this site.
I had German Shorthairs for 24 years now. I still have one 12 year old male but since I needed a more specialized tracking dog I went to another breed.
The German Shorthair Pointer (GSP) sounds like what you are looking for and is a breed that you can get here. There are several other breeds you could look at but you would have to get one from Germany. If that is an option for you I can tell you about a couple of other breeds and get you in touch with their Breed Clubs in Germany.

If you decide to get a GSP look around and see if you can get a calm one. Most of the once I have seen here including the one I own right now, are very hyper and fast and those are trades that will hinder the leashed tracking work you might be planning to do.

The two females I had before had been very calm and easy to train without any force. The male I have now makes a battle out of every command I give him. That can give you gray hair in a hurry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/MoosemanBC/Deucenbear.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to mail me.

ruger#1
03-31-2006, 06:49 PM
sgt, maj. in the chilliwack times today there was a germanshort hair cross with a lab, for $300. male