PDA

View Full Version : turkey call

mrdoog
03-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Bought my first turkey call, a Lohman psycho.
The bottom push rod call is easy enough but,
I'm having no luck getting any sound out of the glass pot part of the call.
It came with a piece of emory paper, I've read it is used to rough up the glass.
How rough does it have to be?

What is the best type of call?

kishman
03-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I've got a Lohman box call that I like, as far as the glass goes I don't think it need be very rough at all. PM huntwriter, he would know for sure8-)

CanAm500
03-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Man, I wish I could go turkey hunting.

huntwriter
03-20-2006, 02:43 PM
mrdoog - That's right all slate calls, class, aluminum and slate need to be conditioned first.

In your case, you have to codition the class surface with the emory paper. There should be two pices that came with the call, one fine and one a bit rougher. Use the rough first and then the fine.

Important:
Move the emory paper only in one direction in a streight line, not in circles or diagonal. Condition the class surface until it turns white. Then use the finer paper and repeat the same procedure in the same direction. Never touch the surface of the class or the striking part of the striker rod with your bare hands or finger. The oil on your hands and fingers will render the strike surface useless. After each calling session clean the class surface by blowing on it. Before each calling session codition the call lightly with the emory paper. And the sticker as needed.

To produce sound:
Hold the stricker like you would a pencil and tilt it slightly away from you. With the other hand hold the call lightly in you cuped hand, making sure your thumb, forefinger and middle finger do not touch the class surface. Strike the striker lightly against the conditioned grain and this will produce the sound. The emphasis here is on "lightly". If you apply to much pressure you will get no sound and the surfase of the call will go flat again.

Yelp:
Move the striker in a 1/4 " circle over the glass surface. Solw movement will produce a soft yelp. Faster movement a cackle. As you move the stricker make sure it never leaves the glass surface.

Cluck:
A short (1/4") streight strike with the striker toward your body. Apply a little more pressure and at the end flick the the striker of off the surface. A little bit like you would flick off a pice of dirt with the striker.

Purr:
Gently push the striker toward your body in a streight line without appleing any pressure on the stricker. Push the stricker about half way across the class surface.

These are the basic calls you need and are easy to learn. Very often this three calls will bring in a tom very fast.

Hope this info is of help to you, please feel free to contact me if you need more detailed info and advice.

huntwriter
03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I've got a Lohman box call that I like, as far as the glass goes I don't think it need be very rough at all. PM huntwriter, he would know for sure8-)

Thanks for the flowers kishman.:-D

Like I said if anyone wants a "free" personal lesson and is close to Langley, just let me know. I am glad if I can help.

mrdoog
03-21-2006, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the detailed info huntwriter.
Your instructions are far superior to those included with the call.

huntwriter
03-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks mrdoog, I am flatterd. I am glad my advice is of use to you and saves you disapointment.

Now when you manage to get a few decent sounds out from your call. Your next step will be to find the "sweet spot" on you call. Every friction turkey call, including the box call, have a sweet spot. This is an area where the call sounds just perfect like a turkey. It is not possible to manufacture a call that evenly sounds the same thoughout the surface.

Once you have that spot on your call mark it with a dot or little circle with a waterproof marker. Now you have a double call and can sound like two different turkey hens. One sound will be just perfect and the other a little coarse.

On a box call the sweet spot can be on two places. Either on the lip of the box or somewhere along the paddle. Usually on box calls with two striking lips, one lip will sound different from the other lip.

This year it is not important to be able to sound like two or more turkeys. But trust me. In one or two season the B.C. turkeys will have become hunter smart and thus will turn in one of the thoughest critters to hunt there is, thougher even than coyotes .