PDA

View Full Version : Crows ?

bogtrotter
04-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Anyone here shoot crows ? I use a Foxpro caller and have had some good times. Are crows returning to the Interior now? Hope to make a trip to Okanagan area shortly.

kyleklassen
09-02-2013, 10:54 PM
yes I shoot crows...whenever the chance presents its self.

Drillbit
09-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Spring, during calving season, is the THE best for crow action, ravens too for that matter.

Lots of shooting and action. Have tried decoys and calling a bit, but still have more fun shooting ADHD freestyle throughout the farm. And what better attractant than fresh calves and grain!?

180grainer
11-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Personal score this year is well north of 500. But I have access to land where there's a good food source. One day I took 68. Could have fried an egg on my barrel at one point. Use a Foxpro, manual call, and decoys.

Sofa King
11-14-2013, 11:08 PM
is it legal to shoot ravens?
I always thought it wasn't.

Kudu
11-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Anyone here shoot crows ? I use a Foxpro caller and have had some good times. Are crows returning to the Interior now? Hope to make a trip to Okanagan area shortly.

No need for fancy Foxpro caller, my goose decoys pull them in every time - 3" #2 smoke them solidly.:mrgreen:

KB90
11-14-2013, 11:13 PM
is it legal to shoot ravens?
I always thought it wasn't.

Private land and your good to go

Cpl_Punishment
11-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an "anti", but other than target practice, what is he purpose of shooting crows and ravens. I'm assuming there is a need to control the population due to some negative effect, just wondering what that is.

Do the cause problems with any livestock or crops?

180grainer
11-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Not sure with ravens but crows have a devastating impact on song birds in the spring when their chicks are hatching. They're not a schedule C animal for nothing.

Sofa King
11-14-2013, 11:30 PM
the ravens in Kelowna devastate the ducklings in the spring.
it's pretty gross, they are savages.

Jagermeister
11-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Not sure with ravens but crows have a devastating impact on song birds in the spring when their chicks are hatching. They're not a schedule C animal for nothing.
Not to mention the magpies, starlings and cowbirds. I try to whack them when the opportunity presents itself.

limit time
11-15-2013, 06:38 AM
I kill them all year round! Kill them all!!

Gateholio
11-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Similar to wolves on baby ungulates.

BiG Boar
11-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Do you have any proof of this? Or are you just making this up? I mean, why do you think of them as savages? And gross?

You need to start loving the ravens bro. They play a vital role in our cycle. There can never be enough ravens.

B-rad
11-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Love huntin crows,,,,,,,,I buy case of the cheap # 6 Winchester ammo and I made 19 silhouette crow decoys,,,lots of fun and good practice for wing shooting,,went out on wed and got half way to settin decoys up and was gettin bombarded by em,,,,,shot 9 in little over an hour,,,missed quite a few also

B-rad
11-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Just on a side note though,,,,I do keep the feathers off the crows for fly tying

B-rad
11-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Page 14 in huntin regs,,,,,schedule C,,,,I have hunting licence so I hunt em on public land

HIGHRPM
11-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Target practice !

Fella
11-15-2013, 09:13 AM
They say crows can recognize individual humans. So if you shoot one crow make sure you take out the whole family or they'll hunt you down Hitchcock style.

ruger#1
11-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Do you have any proof of this? Or are you just making this up? I mean, why do you think of them as savages? And gross?

You need to start loving the ravens bro. They play a vital role in our cycle. There can never be enough ravens.
Ravens are bad. I once seen one fly away with a baby donkey. And then they started kissing. It was totaly cool. And a complete bullshit story. Sorry for leading you on Dave. LMAO

180grainer
11-15-2013, 06:49 PM

I make a bit of a distinction between ravens and crows. I don't mind ravens although I know they can be a pest during calving or lambing season. Their call always reminds me of being in the bush or alpine and there just isn't the plague of them like there are crows. When it comes to crows, I'm with "limit time", kill em.

Sofa King
11-15-2013, 06:57 PM

why would you assume i'm lying?
we've watched it while working in a condo complex on Gordon.
they have a pond and grassy area where the ducks love it and have tons of babies in there.
then the ravens swoop in and attack.
I called them savages and gross because that describes the scene we witnessed.

jonnytutu
02-02-2014, 12:09 AM
1st post and all.....but...just 'cause ravens were killing ducklings shouldn't make them bad. Otherwise you would do the same to all birds of prey if you could...and i'm guessing you wouldn't.

Drillbit
02-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Personal score this year is well north of 500. But I have access to land where there's a good food source. One day I took 68. Could have fried an egg on my barrel at one point. Use a Foxpro, manual call, and decoys.

Wow, that's awesome!

Good food source....=the dump?lol, McD's dumpster? lol

Sounds like you have a great spot! Enjoy it!!

Drillbit
02-03-2014, 12:34 AM
1st post and all.....but...just 'cause ravens were killing ducklings shouldn't make them bad. Otherwise you would do the same to all birds of prey if you could...and i'm guessing you wouldn't.

They're parasites.

Some reasons to hunt:
-Food source (meat hunting)
-Competition of food source (predator hunting)
-Preserve Livelyhood

Most people only hunt for food, also, non-hunters can understand hunting (justify it) if people eat what they kill. But in reality, there are many more reasons to hunt and kill things other than to eat them.

The people that only hunt to eat what they kill, have to start realizing that they are going to have to start hunting and killing for other reasons if they want to be able to hunt for food in the future.

tuffteddyb
02-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Ravens are nasty on baby birds..have had them come in and kill chicks and turkey poults,
Usually jut rip heads off,first time around then might come back for the bodies.
Netting overtop doesnt even slow them down.12 guage sure does.
Also,friggin crows are hard on my orchard!!

limit time
02-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Good thing your first post is a joke! (Made me laugh).
Try researching crows...and I don't mean watching David suckzuki...

elena
02-03-2014, 09:39 AM
what do you do with the dead crows/ravens, just shoot them and leave them wherever they land? sounds like fun and good practice :-)

Kudu
02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
what do you do with the dead crows/ravens, just shoot them and leave them wherever they land? sounds like fun and good practice :-)

Not much left - "feet and beaks" - 3"-#4's smoke them.....

elena
02-03-2014, 09:46 AM
do you have to shoot them with a shotgun or a .22 would do?

Kudu
02-03-2014, 09:56 AM
do you have to shoot them with a shotgun or a .22 would do?

I'm normally in my layout blind, and the stupid things are dive-bombing my goose deeks - shotgun works for me!

pin_head
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, sounds like it could be practice for my pointer to get on some birds

finngun
02-16-2014, 11:48 PM
on van-island ravens learned to kill calfes,,and not only just born.older too.....they attaced calf eye hitting it with they big peak,,eye is connected with brain and calf went down,,this is proven thing,,some farmers lost more than 1or two for them.
maybe they do same thing with deer bambi:confused:

Foxton Gundogs
02-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an "anti", but other than target practice, what is he purpose of shooting crows and ravens. I'm assuming there is a need to control the population due to some negative effect, just wondering what that is.

C_P here you go, not my cup of meat BUT
http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/threecrows.htm

BB I have seen ravens fly off with ducklings and goslings, When I was in Williams Lake I was driving along neside a marsh and bang something bounced off my hood. I got out and a lill gosling scurried under my truck a raven was circling about 20 yds up I guess he lost his grip and was waiting to r4ecover his prize. I caught up the lil fella and returned him to the marsh. He swam away, that was 1 tuff lil bird

Foxton Gundogs
02-17-2014, 04:04 PM

Hmmm, sounds like it could be practice for my pointer to get on some birds

Very bad idea, a wounded crow will go straight for a dogs eyes when it tries to retrieve it.

field marshal
02-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Big Boar, all the mythology surrounding ravens is just B.S. They are revolting murderers of new hatchlings of the year!! Way too many of them in our area now!! Very few of them in Cowichan when I was a kid. We shot them on sight!! Stupid law now in place to only gun them on private land??
Watch them in hatching season some Spring and then tell me if you still hold them in such high regard????---Cheers---Field Marshal.

happyhunter
02-17-2014, 04:55 PM
I came across an injured doe which was spinning in circles in this meadow. She was being dived bombed by ravens and crows and they had already pecked out her eyes. Nasty little buggers. I'm sure a few fawns and calves are taken each spring this way too.

Crows are schedule C so you can hunt them anytime/anywhere (bylaws notwithstanding) and ravens have no closed season in most MU's here in region 4 and the bag limit is 5. I try and shoot either species at every opportunity.
You can even hunt crows without a hunting licence if they are on your property or damaging your property. But why anyone wouldn't want a hunting licence is beyond me

finngun
02-17-2014, 05:25 PM
why we can't shoot ravens everywere.on.crown land- what is reason behind it? no shortage of those for sure..
does anyone knows? yee yee regs,,but why?

Everett
02-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Never shot any in BC but back in Ireland I used to get paid by my boss to shoot grey crows, magpies and the odd raven. Boss didn't like me shooting ravens as they are rare in Ireland but they killed baby lambs just as much as the other two so bang!!.
It was actualy a lot of fun the Boss's shotgun was a 12 bore SxS Westley Richards given to his father by Eamon De Valera it was probably worth over 20,000 pounds.
It ruined me for shotguns every shotgun I have ever shot since has felt like a piece of crap.

Oh by the way bag limit for Raven in the EK is 5 no closed season.

finngun
02-17-2014, 09:15 PM
holy smoly..some those SxS Westley Richards shotguns cost up to 30000$..cadillac of shotguns i guess?
must be really beauty experience[near sex] :mrgreen: to shoot that baby..

Everett
02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
holy smoly..some those SxS Westley Richards shotguns cost up to 30000$..cadillac of shotguns i guess?
must be really beauty experience[near sex] :mrgreen: to shoot that baby..

Pretty hilarious was the fact it was a farm gun. I had been whacking birds left and right with it for a month before I actually looked at it while cleaning it first time probably in 10 years. When I realized what it was I mentioned it to Myles sort like "are you freaking nuts using this as a farm gun". That's when he drops it on me that it was given to his old man by Irelands first President.
It swung like no gun I ever handled since and I have shot some nice guns in my life.

finngun
02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
how smart is crow---unbelivable... http://www.wimp.com/crowsolves/:mrgreen:

Steelwheels
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
how smart is crow---unbelivable... http://www.wimp.com/crowsolves/:mrgreen:

http://www.wimp.com/crowsolves/

jeff341
02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
What do you do with the crows after they hit the ground?? Just leave em out there? Or do you pack em out with you?

I am just curious what or if there is any protocol?

Fella
02-23-2014, 08:11 PM
If it's public land I wouldn't leave a dead animal laying around (gut piles in the bush not withstanding). It doesn't reflect well on hunters. Also, if you have permission to hunt someone's land, don't leave your garbage (dead crows) laying around unless they say otherwise.