PDA

View Full Version : Crows

bogtrotter
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't like crows and am looking for places where I can shoot them. I have a Foxpro call that works well. Willing to work all day. I am based in the Lower Mainland.

Cheers,

RBH
04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Sorry but not on the same page. I like crows. Smart and sociable critters that get my respect for outwitting me and my pellet gun throughout my youth. However, if you were going to eat crow that might be a different matter....

3kills
04-08-2010, 12:17 AM
come here there are to many of the dam things around now! i hate them and i get pissed cuz so many feed them around here. they are smart and tough lil buggers. we had one loose in our grocery store and when we couldnt catch it with nets and stuff we went to plan 2 ;)

thunderheart
04-09-2010, 03:58 PM
i like crows ... dont shoot my black brothers

Gateholio
04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Crows are Schedule C animals- Blast away.

Ddog
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
you can shoot crows, legally.
but i will not shoot them..bad mojo if ya kill a crow.
i had one as a pet and they are real smart birds. I like those birds.
remember,,bad mojo

Surrey Boy
04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Crows are the Coyotes of the Skies, and therefore very satisfying to shoot. Anyone who does so is saving the public from West Nile Virus and Avian Flu and also keeping chicken bones out of my gutters.

greasysidedown
04-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Chicken bones out of the rain gutters. That's too funny. I have the same problem, plus they kill a lot of song bird chicks.

Ddog
04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
baaadddd mojoooo

thunderheart
04-10-2010, 11:11 AM
save the crows !!!!

Ambush
04-10-2010, 12:27 PM
The best bait I've found so far is Ichiban noodles tossed on the snow. Just as good is a Macdonalds paper bag and a few french fries. Scatter a few fries around and leave some in the bag, so they have to stick their head in. Put a good sized rock in the bag so they can't dump it out.

digger dogger
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
baaadddd mojoooo

yup x2 on that. i've shot two crows and within hours bad shit happend.
do whatcha gotta do, but karma may get ya!

pmj
04-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Crows have wiped out all the song birds in my yard. I have 8 nesting boxes for song birds. Last year was the first time not one of them was used. The crows hang out and wait for the chicks to take their first flight an pick them off.

I saved a mother squirrell and her baby last year from them. The crows busted up the squirrles nest. The mother escaped with a baby hanging under its neck. When I interrupted the noise, she was running on top of the fence with crows trying to knock it off.

Show no mercy.

500grhollowpoint
04-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Yup. Love shooting crows.

solanderdog
04-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Chicken bones out of the rain gutters. That's too funny. I have the same problem, plus they kill a lot of song bird chicks.

From time to time, I find chicken bones they've dropped in the backyard. It worries me as my lab is often out there on his own and not shy at all about eating things he finds.

Lillypuff
04-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I thought it was only bad luck to shoot a raven? I use to go to the driving range at the local golf course to shoot them as they use to steal the golf balls. Kinda of funny driving around in a golf cart with a 12 gauge trying to whack ravens

gutpile
04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I used have crow for a pet and we had a raspberry patch and the pickers would some times take their rings and watches off and put them on top of a post as they were picking the berries.Well my crow came flying along and sees the jewelry and would steal it. Then months later we would be cleaning out the gutters on the roof and find the jewelry.All so one time a picker came to our door to pick up her cheque and out of the blue my crow landed on her head and her wig fell off as she was freaking out.

bogtrotter
04-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Yesterday I was looking out my office window - 20 stories up in downtown Vancouver. A peregrine falcon - the first one I've ever seen around here - swoops by with a small bird - wren or sparrow - in its talons. The falcon lands on a rooftop patio across the street and begins to feast on its prey. Wait a minute - who's this? Four black bandits land nearby and and begin a process of intimidation - trying to steal the little bird. The falcon was not impressed. A couple of times a crow pushed in too far causing the falcon to raise its head and fix its gold, noble eye on the ragged little punk. The gangster backed off in a hurry - knowing full well he was out of his depth. This went on for about 45 minutes - I was surprised at how long the falcon took to eat the bird. Somewhere I read that falcons eat only the organs - brain, heart, liver - but I no longer think that. He (she?) had a good feast. The falcon finally left and the crows settled in squabbling over the scraps.

So which bird do you identify with - the noble hunter swooping down on its prey in the skies or the bandit that would be just as happy eating McDonald's french fries out of a dumpster ?

I'm with the falcon.

kyleklassen
04-16-2010, 10:35 PM
crows saved me a fish one time. hooked a double header on cowichan lake . i was bringing in one fish and an eagle spotted the other one splashing , so it dove after it then some crows attacked it and drove the eagle off, saved my fish.... but yes i've also shot a bunch of crows too. in port renfrew a faulks duck call blown like a crow call works good.....reeeeeeal good

sparkes3
04-17-2010, 06:12 AM
try setting up near the dump in hope or boston bar or any landfill where its legal to shoot of coarse

Mr. Dean
04-19-2010, 12:59 AM
I whacked 7 today --------> Felt GOOOOOOOD!

I hate 'em and see it as a Hunters DUTY to get the population in check. There's reasons for schedule C.

Hopefully a private land-owner will permit ya to do some cleansing.

Angel
04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
back in the late 80's and early 90's a guy we know used to go to his local gold club in west van and would go out every year on the same day and shoot like 100 of those little black buggers. they are a super pest on golf courses and it helped to scare them off. service well provided.

Benelli FanBoy
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I have heard of crows pecking a young Black Bears eyes out so it would not have the ability to follow its mother, when the mother gets fed up and abandons the cub the crows will literally eat the young bear alive. Crows are evil birds, they kill way too many song birds.

What would you rather hear in the morning a crow or a song bird?

Kirby
04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I was surprised at how long the falcon took to eat the bird. Somewhere I read that falcons eat only the organs - brain, heart, liver - but I no longer think that. He (she?) had a good feast.

Depends on the hunting, if they are doing well eat nothing but organs(higher calories/weight) but if they haven't killed for awhile they will eat the entire thing.

My Parents have a pigmy owl that leaves lots of song bird bodies sans guts lying around the yard, just picks them off the feeder.

Angel
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
CAW!!!!! CAW!!!! that sound drives me nuts. lol

squirrely
04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
This reminds me of a story I read last year about a guy wanting to bring back the "Annual Abbotsford Crow Shoot" Apparently in days gone Abbotsford had a competition: bring in the most dead crows AND WIN!

The thought brings a smile to my face.

I'm fairly new to the lower mainland. I'm also in my 30s so I suspect this would have been before my time anyway.. anyone here remember this?

Surrey Boy
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
I hate 'em and see it as a Hunters DUTY to get the population in check. There's reasons for schedule C.

Hopefully a private land-owner will permit ya to do some cleansing.

With ability comes responsibility. Do your part, kill a crow.

kastles
06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Delta or DU came out with a number of 20 million ducks killed a year by crows. Hunters only take ten million.
What do you call a bunch of dead crows?

A murder

sorry

Chuck
06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Years ago our R&G club wired the roost trees with TNT and the crows took almost thirty years to eventually return. Lol! no word of a lie.

Highbeta
07-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Every morning that I am woken up by these incredibly evil black birds I fantasize about ways to cleanse my area of them completely.

They are smart, no doubt about that.. which is why it's that much more satisfying to eliminate them.

Mr. Dean
07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Hunting for these things was my 1st introduction to using calls.... What a TRIP! Who'd thunk that you can make a crow fly circles???

Surrey Boy
07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Every morning that I am woken up by these incredibly evil black birds I fantasize about ways to cleanse my area of them completely.

They are smart, no doubt about that.. which is why it's that much more satisfying to eliminate them.

There's no unsportsmanlike way to kill a crow.

BlacktailStalker
07-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I watched a lady 'scooting' a baby crow under the bush with a broom on the side of her driveway yesterday while holding an umbrella to keep the other crows from dive bombing her head :lol: