PDA

View Full Version : Bow Building

270WIN
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
was thinking of getting into the art of building a recurve bow was just woundering if any one does it. If so were do you get your supplies from and any pointers be great.

M@B
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
3riversarchery.com
wrightarchery.com (Canadian)
bowstick.com (not the greatest but, check out their "bowyers den")

Hope this helps.

Regards, Matt

swamper
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
If you are interested, I have a complete set of VHS tapes on bow building that I would be happy to pass along if you are interested.
Chris H.

M@B
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
also check out www.rudderbows.com
they have bow building kits, and u-finish bows bows that are great for first timers. Good luck, and welcome to the addiction!

regards, Matt.

Grantmac
04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
You might find building a primitive longbow would be a good exercise before you head into anything more complicated.
Just go down to the building supply at get a 1x2" piece of red oak as long as you are with as few grain run-outs as possible. Tim Baker made a winning flightbow out of kiln dried red oak so it's good stuff.
Shouldn't cost more than $15 if you've got the tools and string material.

-Grant

M@B
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I agree fully with what Grant said aswell. Red Oak makes a fine bow if it has a good backing material. as it's great in compression but not great in tension.
I Like Hickory as a backing for Red Oak Myself. Hickory is great in tension and the contrast between the dark Oak and Light Hickory Kind of gives it the look of a bow made of Yew wood.

And it will cost you about 15 bux in Material! So if things go sideways(as the tend to on many a first attempt)on you, it won't break the bank.

OOBuck
04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't know if you've seen this post but, I'm getting ready to attempt it again and plan on adding the fiberglass lamb..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21585

I can tell you I learned a lot during this build. Make sure
you buy the right epoxy!!!

greybark
04-12-2010, 09:52 PM
:-D Hey 270 , look up Bingham Bow Suppies (add in Trad Bowhunt Mag) . A friend of mine did that with great results .
Cheers

P.S. they even provide tapered laminates .

petew
05-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Have you considered a bow blank?
Marc at Chek-Mate is now offering his new Beaver Creek longbow as a blank. Most of the hard part is done for you. I have more information in the Trad Review section at www.peteward.com (http://www.peteward.com) where I just finished a review on these blanks.
The blank is a good place to try your hand without needing a ton of equipment.
Self bows are also a goodplace to cut your teeth and learn to tiller and shape handles.

Pete

Bowzone_Mikey
05-08-2010, 09:55 PM
hey Pete .. Good to see ya on the good side of the rocks ... wheres yer joke ...

I might hafta check out one of them blanks

been wanting to build one for a while ... just chikken of messing it up I guess

petew
05-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Hi Mikey,
It was quite easy to do , and didn't take long.I might do a 50# one for myself. Those new Beaver Creeks are a sweet shooting bow, and totaly diferent from all the other Chek-Mates. Marc has a few new models coming out that are going to surprise people.

J_T
05-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Greybark, isn't Lorne still making bows in Abbotsford/Mission? There are some good bowyers on the island, however most make longbows.

greybark
05-09-2010, 05:03 PM
:-D Hi J-T , Lorne ensured that each of his family and their families were fitted with his Special Self and laminated Bows . He also provided TBBC with several of his fine Bows . He has now backed off bow building but is still heavly (as is his extended family) involved in helping his Club.
Cheers