PDA

View Full Version : 2wd Vs 4wd Quad

ratherbefishin
03-15-2006, 12:07 PM
I do not have a quad, but am considering it,strictly for hunting.Could someone post the pro's and cons of 2wd vs 4wd, and also comment on optimum cc size for the purposes intended-hunting

bigwhiteys
03-15-2006, 12:13 PM
4WD

Why bother with anything else? My buddy just dumped $10,000 into a new 2WD quad. What's it good for? Going fast thats pretty much it.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gus
03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
No question,4WD. I have hunted off a 2wd and it was a pain in the ass. Pretty hard to haul meat over any kind of terrain, as well as just going through deact.'s and such on way to the hunting spot. They like to spin out a lot. I know guys that do it but it tends to involve alot more work. My 2cents.

30-06
03-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey a 4 wheel drive is it,my dad has the 2004 honda rincon and wow is iy nice hauled half a moose out like nothin.they go anywhere .i hunt wityh a 2 wheel drive and it goes anywere to but i would go by myself anywhere is i were to get royaly ****ed.

heres a pic on the 2006 honda rincon 650.get er in camo red olive green,black soo nice built in GPS http://powersports.honda.com/images/model/model_images/atvs/2006/FourTrax_Rincon_GPScape_Camo.jpg

mark
03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
in my exp. there is no need for a quad over 500 for hunting, but a 4x4 is a must as well a winch, ive used my winch so many times im surprized it still works! kick ass aftermarket tires are a good investment too!

Gus
03-15-2006, 01:17 PM
kick ass aftermarket tires are a good investment too!

Real good point, I'd bet that nearly 75% of a quads potential could be based on its tires.

lapadat
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Anything around 350 - 400 would suit you just fine. We had a 500 Grizzly that kicked serious ass, while drinking gas like a tank and being relatively unstable as it is a top heavy machine. Our two 350 TRX's have been great.

lapadat

todbartell
03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
4wd is the way to go, although 2wd will work *most* of the time in most places

300-400cc is a good compromise of power and fuel economy

000buck
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
i've had both in my time sold the 2wd 350 bought the 4wd 300 it really depends where you hunt and what you hunt. I found that I could go just about every where i needed to get on the 2wd and the 4x rarely gets used on the new one , except to get me stucker further back in the woods. but if you spend the dough get the 4x so that you have if you need it.

Ronforca
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
I have had 4 quads one of which was stolen.You can get by quite well with a 2x4 most of the time but the 4x4 is good to have to fall back on especially in the snow.Get a 4x4 but get one that will also go into 2x4.Most of them do now.Also for hunting the ind.suspension rules.I have had both.As for size 400 C.C. is plenty big enough for most people and quite easy on fuel.

ratherbefishin
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
is the 4wd any harder to steer,or heavier in the front end-and what about repairs and maintenance?
Also,since I won't be putting a lot of time on it-I would be looking for an older model hopefully used by an old guy like myself, who hasn't abused it.What sort of mileage is acceptable for an older machine?What models and what price range?

lapadat
03-15-2006, 03:18 PM
I find that in 4WD it is only slightly more difficult to stear, and even then it is only noticeable at low speed cornering. I would put a vote in for an atv that can be transferred from 2 to 4WD. We run Honda 350's that are AWD and we change out the oil on the front and rear differentials twice a year (a 15 minute job). If you regularly change the rear diff oil than it is not more of a burden to quickly swap out the fronts. The only 'extra' wear that I have noticed is on the front tires because they are constantly biting.

My advice for buying a used quad is to take a good look at the wheels and the undercarriage (ie. skid plate). If some dill-hole has beat the crap out of his machine you will find major damage to these areas from smashing into rocks, logs, etc. Ask him/her how often they changed oil. A friend of mine bought a quad from a guy and while he was inspecting it, he asked where the dipstick was......the seller didn't even know!!! I think i know where the DIPSTICK was......

todbartell
03-15-2006, 04:48 PM
gotta love the 4wd atvs that can be driven in 2wd

I have a 91 Suzuki 250cc that has both 2 & 4wd, just love it.

PGKris
03-15-2006, 04:52 PM
gotta love the 4wd atvs that can be driven in 2wd

Amen! It's nice to be able to switch between the two but 4WD is the only way to fly. 350cc should be lots but I drove a 500 Grizzly that was pretty awesome. Go anywhere with that machine. Like was mentioned, it did drink more gas though.
KRIS

30-06
03-15-2006, 05:13 PM
most of the in between quads drink more gas than big ones my mom has a honda trz 350 2x-4x and it drinks WAY more gas in 2wheel than my dads honda rincon 650 in 4 wheel dose.i would just buy a big one nice tires and a really good whinch it is worth it when u get it stuck bad.

Phred
03-19-2006, 01:07 PM
2x4 is better than nothing, a 4x4 is better than a 2x4, a slectable 2x4 or 4x4 is better than 4x4. If you plan on pulling a trailer look for a solid rear axle. I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 350 and make sure it has a winch.

Try to look for a quad up North. My 400 4x4 I bought in Dawson Creek was about $2000 less than almost everything available in the South. I put my own ad in the local paper and got the seller to contact me, rather than me looking for them. It took about 3 months of running the ad, but I eneded up with a 2 year old quad for $4000. I've had it seven years now and the thing still runs great.

youngfellla
03-19-2006, 02:59 PM
660 Grizzly, 27x11'' tires, diff-locks. :twisted:

Point and shoot.:mrgreen:

ex bc guide
03-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I have the same set up as youngfella at it goes everywhere that i need to get.
Mike

30-06
03-19-2006, 04:33 PM
My dad has the same tires and rimes as youngfella but on a honda rincon 650. and my neighbour has the grizz

Vinny
05-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I run an '06 Arctic Cat 650 H1. 27 ' Swamlits on aluminum rims. Awseomse bike but if you check out my avatar you can see the 4wd gets REALLY stuck when you want it to. Took 3 4wd quads, 4 winches and a tree for an anchor to get me out. Other than looking for mudholes and getting stuck on purpose I love this bike and haven't found anywhere it can't go in normal situations.

Shop Lord
05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I've got the same bike as youngfella and ex bc guide. 2003 660 grizzly with dirt devils. 10 000 km's and no trouble. I've ridden almost everything out there and nothing comes close. Would you want to hunt with a two wheel drive truck?

moose hunter
05-05-2006, 02:57 PM
bombadier 800 4wd total thumbs up

ruger#1
05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.bombardier-atv.com/ check this site out. the 800 is a lot of money. a fisherman i met last weekend said he had his up to 78 mph, thats what they told him when they did the computer anilizer on it.

ruger#1
05-06-2006, 04:18 PM
i still have my suzuki king quad i bought in 95 , i did the top end last year , it has in and oiut of 4x4 and front dif lock it is only 300 cc and it has hauled a lot of game out of the woods. we had one that hauled 3/4s of a moose out of the woods. now all it does is sit in the garage and collect dust, unless i use it to haul firewood.

tomigunz
05-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Anything 4wd and around 400cc is perfect, I pulled my whole moose throught thick timber and across two swamps, something id only dream of if it were a 2wd.

30-06
06-01-2006, 07:11 PM
I've got the same bike as youngfella and ex bc guide. 2003 660 grizzly with dirt devils. 10 000 km's and no trouble. I've ridden almost everything out there and nothing comes close. Would you want to hunt with a two wheel drive truck? the bad thing about EVERY quad exept the honda rincon is that there mostly all belt driven.so when u get muddy they will slip and then u wreck a belt ur in the tube for 800-1000$ depending on the dealer. the rincon is a tranny it has a down sized honda civic engine.but it is price and only comes in a 650.but isnt bad on gas.just a flip of a switch and u got 2wd-4wd.and is a auto matic or semi-auto. and is unstoppable. also front and back indepentant

youngfellla
06-01-2006, 08:56 PM
the bad thing about EVERY quad exept the honda rincon is that there mostly all belt driven.so when u get muddy they will slip and then u wreck a belt ur in the tube for 800-1000$ depending on the dealer. the rincon is a tranny it has a down sized honda civic engine.but it is price and only comes in a 650.but isnt bad on gas.just a flip of a switch and u got 2wd-4wd.and is a auto matic or semi-auto. and is unstoppable. also front and back indepentant

First of all, my 660 Grizz has NEVER slipped the belt, they WILL last over 10,000 km before replacement.

Second, if you get the clutch housing wet, all you do is drain the water and keep going. If you know you've got water in it, stop, winch it out, and drain the housing. You do not need to replace the belt!

Third, the Honda Rincon is an overrated piece of sh*t. Over $13,000 base and it has NO DIFF-LOCK, NO WINCH, and NO LOW RANGE. Try putting 27'' tires on a Rincon and they do not have enough power to turn the tires in thick mud. I've seen it a number of times!!

Fourth, in cold weather, the Hondas will get stuck in reverse sometimes. I've now pulled 3 of them out of the bush because they couldn't hack it in the cold.

And Fifth, the Honda Rincon is an overrated piece of sh*t. Unstoppable, my ass! I'm sick of riding with guys who have them because I'm always pulling them through the mud.:-x

30-06
06-01-2006, 09:23 PM
mine has never got stuck it has a winch and it has built in diff lock actually so u dont have to waste more time putting it in unlike the grizzlys,and why would u want 27" tires on a quad anyways,never got stuck in reverse and had it up in minus 50 degrees last winter in manitoba.neighbour has on hunk got stuck in half a foot on mud.oh and i won the off-road race 4 years running and on the 5th year it hit a stump so fast the wheel came off and it still crossed the line in 2nd, an dur belt maybe hasnt slipped cuz u dont ride it hard ,iv seen many ppls belts slip even at are swamp here which isnt even deep i took my other 2 wheel drive quad thorugh it easy yet a grizzly got stuck in 4wd not even in the deepest spot.high low range built in to them,gears are better that just drive,and in four wheel drive magazine the rincon is called the best quad of the year 5 years running.even the yamaha dealer ship in vancouver said the rincon was better than the grizzly,he also said polaris quads were beter to,and iv actually seen a rincon with 27" tires at the Welcome To Da Swamp mud bog comp and geuss who won and lost Rincon won grizzly LAST to the bambarider 800,polaris 800,and kawasaki 800,and a rincon 650 wooped them all. ANd the batteries on the grizzlys are right behind the wheels i dont know the IDIOT who came up with that bu tif u get even a little water or mud in there which iv seen ur F**ked.

000buck
06-01-2006, 09:24 PM
And Fifth, the Honda Rincon is an overrated piece of sh*t. Unstoppable, my ass! I'm sick of riding with guys who have them because I'm always pulling them through the mud.:-x

no kidding got a buddy with a honda always broke (both him and the machine ) yamaha or suzuki (arctic cat suzuki power plants) are the way to go

youngfellla
06-01-2006, 09:35 PM
mine has has built in diff lock actually so u dont have to waste more time putting it in unlike the grizzlys,and why would u want 27" tires on a quad anyways, an dur belt maybe hasnt slipped cuz u dont ride it hard , ANd the batteries on the grizzlys are right behind the wheels i dont know the IDIOT who came up with that bu tif u get even a little water or mud in there which iv seen ur F**ked.

No kid, the Rincon's DONT have a selectable Diff-Lock in the front, and if it had a constant diff-lock you wouldn't be able to steer.:roll:

Bigger tires are better if you have the power, a simple known fact.

My belt hasn't slipped because it is a GOOD system, and I ride my quad as hard as anyone.

Also, the battery on a Grizzly is under the seat, not behind the wheels, get your sh*t straight before you write it.

Phred
06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
woo, the fur is flying now eh?
Arguing about which quad is better is like arguing which truck is better. It comes down to what you like and don't like. Some guys actually like Dodge pickups.:confused:
The fact is, Hondas hold their value better than most (just like a Toyota Pickup and a Honda car) and their has to be a reason for this. I'd say it's customer satisfaction (just like their cars).

Oh, I have a quad, and it's not a Honda.:roll:

.....if you get the clutch housing wet, all you do is drain the water and keep going. If you know you've got water in it, stop, winch it out, and drain the housing. You do not need to replace the belt! You have to winch your quad out and then drain your diff after you go through a puddle? What happens if you don't realize you got it wet?

You do not need to replace the belt!

...they WILL last over 10,000 km before replacement. I thought you said you didn't need to replace the belt??

Triggerman
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
It comes down to this for me...

If you are going to see snow, mud, hills or hauling:

a 2WD will not get you there and back PERIOD

Seth
06-01-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm with youngfella on this one. Go with a Yamaha. I bought a 2005 Kodiak 400 4x4 last year and don't have a single complaint. Honda's, in my opinion, are overprized for what you get.

youngfellla
06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
You have to winch your quad out and then drain your diff after you go through a puddle? What happens if you don't realize you got it wet?

You don't drain the diff, moron. If you totally swamp the quad you will get water in the clutch housing, and you will know it. Then you drain it and keep riding.:roll: And the only time you can get the clutch housing wet is if the quad is submerged up to the top of the racks, which is a little more than a 'puddle'. If you don't realize you got water in it, you're an idiot.

I thought you said you didn't need to replace the belt??

I said you don't need to replace the belt IF you get it wet! Read the post more thoroughly. The belts will last 10000 k before they become close to the maximum wear limit, and then it may be time for a replacement.

Phred
06-01-2006, 11:20 PM
You don't drain the diff, moron. If you totally swamp the quad you will get water in the clutch housing, and you will know it. Then you drain it and keep riding.:roll: And the only time you can get the clutch housing wet is if the quad is submerged up to the top of the racks, which is a little more than a 'puddle'. If you don't realize you got water in it, you're an idiot.

I said you don't need to replace the belt IF you get it wet! Read the post more thoroughly. The belts will last 10000 k before they become close to the maximum wear limit, and then it may be time for a replacement.
Lol, take a pill dude and lay off the insults, it only makes you look like a hothead idiot.

I can see you like your quad and you think it's the shit, fair enough. Thanks for your well thought out response however :roll:

Now remember...relax :tongue:

30-06
06-04-2006, 08:20 PM
i just have to say i have seen way more grizzlys stuck and/or broken down or people thinking there invisible on them and trying to climb stuff way outta there league,iv had the rincon "BURIED"to just the handle bar's where showing in 2wd slappeder into 4wd and she came right out,...we where up at are swamp and a person on a 2005 grizzly 660 broke down just going in a inch of mud...BELT BROKE i had to haul it down from there on my little 225 cc bear tracker yamaha.pretty sad i do have to say ..so i think that grizzlys are peices of sh*t Cough Cough ..

ruger#1
06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
now comeon guys , you should be buying canadian made like can- am , formerly bombardier. i would get the 500cc with fuel injection, and it would be a 4x4. sure 2x4s are lighter and smaller for the trails, its all about what your going to use it for. http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-CA/ check this site out . it will make you wet your pants.

30-06
06-04-2006, 08:29 PM
No kid, the Rincon's DONT have a selectable Diff-Lock in the front, and if it had a constant diff-lock you wouldn't be able to steer.:roll:

Bigger tires are better if you have the power, a simple known fact.

My belt hasn't slipped because it is a GOOD system, and I ride my quad as hard as anyone.

Also, the battery on a Grizzly is under the seat, not behind the wheels, get your sh*t straight before you write it yah maybe on some of them. and as soon as u put it in 4wd it goes it .ask any smart dealer. if you were to have road as hard as any other person something is bound to go wrondg say a belt slipping are a shock breakin or a wheel popping..but u got the perfect system eh..and bigger tires arent always better bud.hill climbs id rather have a smaller tire but fatter more tracktion also a known fact.but u probably got all stock stuff or ur pile of garbage eh .see i dont i got after market winch it came with a 3000pound winch but i need bigger,got after market rimes wheels seat,front and back bunpers,carberator kit,hand warmers so the quad is worth about 20,000$ ,,but see the thing is that a rincon dosent start at a base price of 13,000$ like u said it did it is 10,000$..id say a steal of a deal that is the new rincon 680.named the best quad of the year for 4 years straight but u know why it was becuase it simplely is """BETTER""" than the hunk of crazy grizzly ................oh and on some liek my friends the battery is by the tires get ur stuff straight before i write it if u want i will get a picture for u if u wanna argue more big man..

30-06
06-04-2006, 08:35 PM
now comeon guys , you should be buying canadian made like can- am , formerly bombardier. i would get the 500cc with fuel injection, and it would be a 4x4. sure 2x4s are lighter and smaller for the trails, its all about what your going to use it for. http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-CA/ check this site out . it will make you wet your pants.
they those can-ams are nice .the got a new rally 200 can-am edition not on the market yet but i am related to the owners of the bombadier dealer ship and i got to take one out for a ride i think they would dummy the grizzlys

ruger#1
06-04-2006, 08:37 PM
3006 why are you so angry.be cool its what you like, its not what everyone else whants you to like. hey i have a 95 kingquad 300 ive haulled lots of bears and deer with that machine, ask me if i would buy another one . no im interested in the can-am atvs.

ruger#1
06-04-2006, 08:40 PM
i have a buddy that has a 800 v twin can-am atv. he opened up the throttle on it. he had to get it serviced at the shop on day they told him he was going 78 mph, it was still on the on board computer. as they are fuel injected.

30-06
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
iv had a rincon going 90 on a straight stretch brand new just brought her home

ruger#1
06-05-2006, 06:41 PM
is that 90 kms or mph.

30-06
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
thats 90 kms

BOOMSTICK
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Well I bought a couple Hondas last summer, a 650 for me and a 500 for the old lady. I was not impressed to say the least. I had 26'' tires put on my 650, and it didn't have enough jam to turn them in thick mud, just lugged it down. That quad definetly needed a low range, and a front diff lock. The 500 would get stuck in reverse when riding in cold weather, and I had it in the dealer twice for transmission warranty work.

I recently traded the two Hondas in on a 660 Grizzly and a 450 Kodiak and am pretty happy so far. I had 26'' tires and aluminum wheels put on the 660, as well as a clutch kit, and with the front diff-lock in it seems to go anywhere I need it to. Not as smooth as the Hondas but a little more practical it seems. I was convinced after seeing a friends 660 with 13,400 km on it and still going strong. It still has the original belt, and the engine has never been touched except for oil changes.

I was disappointed in the Hondas, because I use to run them all the time. The old Fourtrax and the 400 & 450 Foreman gear-jammers are some of the best quads ever produced, they would never let you down.

30-06
06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
13,400km sorry to say but isnt alot of miles for me i can do that easily in 6 months but then again i ride everyday.the rincons have auto front diff as soon as u flip them into 4x4, and on the 500 getting stuck in reverse maybe u just got a bad quad.my rincon has 28's and it goes anyhwere,there made to go at high rpm's not just going really fast hitting a hill and crossing fingers. i seen a rincon in an up hill mud bog comp, look down in louisiana at there quad bogs all they run is hondas thats saying somthing right there,and all hondas are number # 1 selling quads best on the markets... took mine across a 2 fot deep mud bog with the 28's in 2wd made it across, my neighbour put is hunk grizzly in 4wd diff lock got stuck.

Phred
06-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey, If you get your quad stick in puddles, or a lake for that matter, you may need one of these quads. ;)
Check out the Quadski (http://www.gizmag.com/go/5682/)

http://www.gizmag.com/watermark.php?p=5682_310506115516.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/watermark.php?p=5682_310506115537.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/watermark.php?p=5682_310506115600.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/watermark.php?p=5682_310506115648.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/watermark.php?p=5682_310506115742.jpg

BOOMSTICK
06-07-2006, 11:43 PM
and why would u want 27" tires on a quad anyways,.

30-06, I noticed in an earlier post that you scoff at the idea of having big tires on a quad, and then -

my rincon has 28's and it goes anyhwere,

You now say that you have 28'' tires on your Rincon. Which is it?

And in order to put 13,400km on a quad in 6 months you would need to ride 74 km every day for 6 months. You must have plenty of spare time.

30-06
06-10-2006, 11:43 AM
ohh i do
just got the 28's and a carberator kit makes it a 700 istead of a 650, or a 730 instead of a 680 depending on what one you buy. i dont see yamaha coming out with no carb kits

Iron-Head
06-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Holy crap you are all over the place on this one...... Take a freakin chill pill man your post's are obnoxios and half of them I cant even read. Just because You like somthing doesnt meen you have to impose your views on everyone elses. Gim'me a break there is no way you can put over 13,000Miles on in six months, But here let me guess in all those riding hours you will have no problems with your machine just straight through *flawless* riding, am I right?
Mabey people would take you more seriosly if you were not such a hothead and portrayed your views in a more orderly fashion.
Symon:shock:

Triggerman
06-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Just for reference, I own an 8x8 Argo and I've NEVER been stuck and I've had two Muleys in the back with 3 people in it.

BOOMSTICK
06-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Just for reference, I own an 8x8 Argo and I've NEVER been stuck and I've had two Muleys in the back with 3 people in it.

An outfitter I worked for a few years back had one at his camp. Talk about an All Terrain Vehicle! Those things will go anywhere:grin:

youngfellla
06-10-2006, 06:35 PM
ohh i do
just got the 28's and a carberator kit makes it a 700 istead of a 650, or a 730 instead of a 680 depending on what one you buy. i dont see yamaha coming out with no carb kits

I don't know if you are aware, but a carb upgrade does not add displacement (cc's) to your engine. Carb kits, or otherwise known as jetting kits, increase the volume of fuel flow into the engine. The only way to add displacement is to increase the bore & stroke of the engine.

Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, etc all have jet kits available for their engines. They give you a little power gain, but not much.

Stresd
06-13-2006, 06:38 PM
I also have an eight wheel argo. Not fast,but boy does it get you where you have to go. Don't have to worry about locking the diff as all eight are always locked in. Tough to get any water on the belts unless you are sinking. 2 Horse honda 4 stroke on the back an she scoots across the water real good. Even with half a Moose and 2 guys in her. Had her for five years and wouldn't trade her for nothing.:-D
Mines older so I am sure that the newer models would have a bigger load capacity
Recommended max on land 1000 Lbs
on water 750 Lbs

30-06
06-13-2006, 07:27 PM
those argos go anywhere i like them becuase they can go in water the 8x8's are awsome

30-06
06-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't know if you are aware, but a carb upgrade does not add displacement (cc's) to your engine. Carb kits, or otherwise known as jetting kits, increase the volume of fuel flow into the engine. The only way to add displacement is to increase the bore & stroke of the engine.

Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, etc all have jet kits available for their engines. They give you a little power gain, but not much.actualy it dose it makes a really big diffrence ,,why do u have one..maybe yours isnt the best..also i have a racing cam in it so it keeps the valves open longer for more air gas mix so more to compress which then again means more power. and also when i was buying my quad,,,i had honda,yamaha,suzuki,polaris,bombardier,kawasaki all tell me that the rincon was the best...i got all the sales peoples names if you would like them, just todouble check

sealevel
06-13-2006, 07:48 PM
30-06 did you get the one true roller timing set and the roller rockers and the bullgear that jumped the heffer shaft.

ruger#1
06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
maybe you should twin turbo that quad,3006

bruno
06-13-2006, 08:25 PM
ohh i do

30-06 If you've found away to increase the ccs of your engine without changing the bore "or" stroke you better patend it, you will be rich!!
Also just by adding more fuel without adding more air I can't see where the power gain is unless it was running lean to start with. Just a thought.

Stresd
06-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Racing air in the tires. New muffler bearings help performance and make sure that the headlight fluid is topped up in order to see better:-D

palmer
06-13-2006, 09:31 PM
I have a Honda 400..its been ok so far....but the type of money you guys are talking about $15000 to 20000. Go get yourselves a used Toyota 4 X 4 it will get you way more use and value for your money than any quad...and you can drive it on the street....and it carries a moose and four people.....

youngfellla
06-14-2006, 02:45 AM
Also just by adding more fuel without adding more air I can't see where the power gain is unless it was running lean to start with. Just a thought.

Exactly. Too much fuel without enough air = choked to death. The only way to capitialize on more adding fuel is forced air, ie. turbocharged, supercharged, high-flow intake, etc.

actualy it dose it makes a really big diffrence ,,why do u have one..maybe yours isnt the best.

Doesn't matter how you look at it, a carb kit can't add displacement to your engine. And whether Honda, Yami, Suzuki, etc., they don't design and build the carbs, it is a standard design that they all use, and the carb kits are all the same. There is no such thing as a 'Honda Carburetor'. Just like Ford and Dodge, both came stock with Holley carbs on certain models.

And no, I don't have a carb kit on my Yamaha. The 2005 models were jetted as much as they can go.