PDA

View Full Version : how do i get my gf into hunting?

moose hunter
03-14-2006, 11:19 AM
my girlfriend is downstairs right now i am wondering how do i get her into this she already has like a 20 pound recurver she loves to shoot and i know as soon as she drops sumthing she will be hooked is it legal for her to get her junior licence and hunt with me and my dad? anyways thanks for any replies cheers moosy

Birddog
03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok Heres my advice, Why on gods green earth would you want your girlfriend to go hunting with you? If she is getting a junoir hunting licence, I can asume your not that old, right. Take it from a older married guy the last thing you want is to be draggen some girl along hunting with you. I know your young and in love, but trust me one day you will enjoy being out hunting with the BOYS no wifes, no girlfriends. Dont get her into hunting son, get her into cooking and cleaning you'll be much happier.

Cheers Birddog
P.S. The only girl you should be taking hunting is a golden retriver!:lol:

bigwhiteys
03-14-2006, 12:03 PM
ROFL!!!

While I have seen some happy husband and wife hunting couples I would NEVER even consider the practice for myself.

When I go hunting/fishing there is a strict no females allowed policy. No Exceptions. They bitch, whine and almost always ruin a trip.

It's like her dragging you off to get your hair & nails done.

You just DON'T DO IT!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

rollingrock
03-14-2006, 12:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I could hardly hold my tears!

sealevel
03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
ROFL! sound advice moose hunter in the morning when you go hunting let sleeping dogs or GF lie. :D :D :D

moose hunter
03-14-2006, 12:38 PM
i want to get my girl friend into hunting so she can spend more time with me in the spring and fall she likes shooting her bow its a 20 pound recurve or somthing like that so maybe i can upgrade her to my 50 lb compound? i know once she drops a deer she will be hooked. i think i will take her to the range and set her up with one of my 303s or maybe my 308 or 280? because i recently inherited a clutter of rifles from my uncle who is in the hospital from cancer:( anyways i would especialy like to hear from guys who got there gfs hunting or fathers who got their daughters into it thanks for any info, cheers moosy

MichelD
03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Only a little advice.

If she wants to start shooting, use a .22.

Don't start off with trying to impress her with how much of a hero you are to be able to withstand the recoil of a heavy calibre rifle and trying to make her do the same thing.

Try to make the shooting experience relaxed and fun.

Don't put any pressure on her to shoot a bigger rifle until SHE wants to try it.

Then use a 243 or 7x57 or 6.5x55 Mauser.

You going spring bear hunting? Bring her along. That way you are doing something together and four eyes are better than two.

My wife often spots bears before I do.

The hunting part depends on your gf's actual interest in learning and doing it.

Foxer
03-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Only a little advice.

If she wants to start shooting, use a .22.

That's actually a LOT of advice. Specifically, a lot of GOOD advice.

And do yourself another favour - get her GOOD hearing protection. She won't be used to the noise, and noise can create flinch and pain as much as recoil can.

Get her out and used to a 22, wearing good hearing. Then break her in on something light - if all you've got is a 303 then get some 150 grain loads. If you happen to have a 30-06, you can get Remington Reduced Recoil loads, they are about the power of a 30-30 and perfect for breaking someone in.

Go slow and you can wind up with a great hunting partner and have a lot of fun. Try to rush it, and you could wind up with a miserable gf.

Oh - and when she tries the 'big guns' for the first time - get her standing freehand. Kicks a bit less i think.

moose hunter
03-14-2006, 01:18 PM
she already hyas a 22 maybe the 22-250 or 223 i inherited 2 of both of those but the 303 will drop a moose and i find has very little recoil. i will only be using a 7mm for my spring bear well i will bve rotating between the 7mm and 300 but is she allowed to come with me and my dad if she gets a juniors and still take somthing?

Jetboater
03-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Good for you moosehunter, I found my hunting time went way up when I found a girl that loved to hunt. you guys are all just jealous, hmmm, curl up with a group of guys in camp:wink: or be sleeping close to my GF! :grin: whatever you guys prefer you guys can have .:?
taking the time to teach someone proper shooting form makes all the difference when it comes to archery or rifle shooting. get her shooting rabbits with the bow or ground hogs from there on her confidence to take a shot goes way up. remeber that she does not have to pull a heavy bow or shot a cannon.
I have attached a pic of My GF on the last hunting trip we took up north bowhunting muleys. that was my deer and she passed on a lot more better than that one.

Schmaus
03-14-2006, 01:29 PM
with a juniors license I think she is allowed her own bag limit of small game (grouse and rabbits) but she has to hunt off her supervisors (your dad) big game tags. She will be allowed to hunt and carry a rifle only under careful supervision of a licensed adult.

moosecaller
03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
This is my girlfiend she started hunting the same fall that we met. As you can see you can share and enjoy the company of someone to hunt with regardless of the relationship. I think it makes the bond between the two of you stronger. Just remember you must share in some of her passions as well, it is a two way street. On a side note moose hunter save yourself for someone you are going to spend more than a puppy love time frame with.

http://usera.imagecave.com/moosecaller/Andreasfirstmoose.JPG

MB_Boy
03-14-2006, 01:53 PM
ALthough I had a good laugh at the earlier posts I would tend to think if you can get anyone out to hunt with you and also introduce a new hunter that is great. I do enjoy my time hunting with the guys, but I have taken a girlfriend out in the past and it was surprisingly enjoyable.

Just remember though.......only show her your secret hunting areas if you are sure it is going to work out. If things end it could be a pain listening to you two argue about who gets what hunting area in the breakup!! :grin: It would scare the animals in the field. :grin:

oldtimer
03-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Moose hunter.. You definitely want her involved !! Take it from somebody who has had 3 generations of females join him on a hunt ( wife, daughter/ daughter in law, and grand daughter ) there is nothing better. And as has been posted earlier it is amazing how easy it is to get that day off to go hunting with your buddies.Plus it helps to have somebody ready to make lunches and such...lol Mike

000buck
03-14-2006, 06:28 PM
dude the only reason to take a woman hunting is if she on her ummm err bait! or if she s got a better truck than you.

sealevel
03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I always had a hard time keeping my mind on hunting after watching a butt wiggle up the trail for a couple hours. Only ever shot one deer when my wife was along. Maybe you can but i can`t hunt and watch women at the same time.:-) :-) :-)

Walksalot
03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Simply ask her if she would like to go hunting and if she says yes take her along.

mtnmax
03-14-2006, 07:04 PM
My girl freind ( soon to be wife ) is just about to take the core course. She wants to hunt with me. When I met her she had never been sledding,fishing,camping,etc. She loves it all and is good at it. And yes it is a two way street. I now visit scrapbook stores.NO I DO NOT SCRAPBOOK!!!!! I just take her there and look at stuff.Honest!

JohnS
03-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Me and My Grlfriend ( Future Wife ) Got a "River Jet Adventure" Planned with Guy Scott this August for Elk And Moose... should be the time of our lives ..... Hehehehehe!.... its really our Honeymoon!

slyfox
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
My advice is take a picture of her and she can go hunting all the time with you and no headaches.

Marc
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
I asked my wife but she opted for going to the Dominican Republic for a week in April. She wins this time. It's our 10th anniversary this year so I guess she deserves it. Looks like I won’t be making it off the Island this fall either, as I’ll still be paying on that trip down south. There is definitely give and take. My wife wont hunt but she loves to eat what I bring home so it all depends on what she wants.

JohnS
03-14-2006, 07:31 PM
ya know when I think about .... my G/F doesn't complian half as much as some the hunting buddies I got ......LOL! :wink:

bsa30-06
03-14-2006, 07:38 PM
I've asked my wife a few times to come with me and she just isn't into it, but thats ok she dont complain when i go either.Tell you the truth its kinda nice just getting away for a while,and hangin with the boys but at the end of my two week trip in oct. its really nice to come home to someone as well.I guess what i'm saying is ,woman cant live with them cant live without them.

tmarschall
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
moose hunter, here is some advice, take it for what it is worth. You say that she loves to shoot and that as soon as she drops something, she will be hooked. Just how do you know this?? Is from your personal experience?? Just because she loves to shoot does not imply she loves to kill something. It seems to me you are reading a lot into the situation. Don't make her take that step before she is ready, the results could be disasterous. My advice would be to let her tell you what she wants to do on her time schedule. Don't lead her down a path she is not ready for. I took my daughter out with me when I would go hunting when she was about 10 years old. Just to sit and watch me. When she was 16, she shot her first deer with a rifle, she shot a couple more, but she was not really bitten with the hunting bug. She tried it, liked it, and now has other priorities... like passing college algebra!!!! Talk it up to your GF as time permits, but look signs for where she wants to go with it and what she is ready for, good luck!!!!

wetcoastwillie
03-14-2006, 08:10 PM
... Dont get her into hunting son, get her into cooking and cleaning you'll be much happier.

ROFLMAO:p:grin::-)

I wish someone had told me that years ago!

johnes50
03-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I asked my wife if she wanted to go bare hunting with me this spring, but she said it would be to cold. So I promised her that if she went with me I would make her bear claw slippers to keep her delicate little feet warm. She didn't sound to interested, so I said I would make her bear claw mitts to keep her lovely hands warm. She was pretty cool to that idea as well. Well, I know a way to a ladies heart, jewlery! I figured a bear tooth necklace for an anniversary present would be something that would warm the heart of any women and make her want to go with me. But no she wasn't the slightest bit interested and told me just go with your buddies and forget about me. Women! It's gonna break my heart to be away from the love of my life while I'm bear hunting, but what's a guy gonna do? Guess I'll have to call my hunting partner and go with him instead. I'm so sad now I guess I'll have to stay out an extra day or two just to get over it. Maybe I'll try and pet some bears so I feel better like that fella in Alaska did. Anyhow I gotta go I'm so depressed.

todbartell
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
I will let my gf come with me if Im gonna just sit in a blind for deer, or lean against some haybales calling crows.

Never would I want her with me if I was actually serious on doing some hunting.

there is plenty of time to spend time with the gf, she dont need to come with me hunting :-| :wink:

ruger#1
03-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm with bird dog on this subject, he sounds like a Wise man. or he has the same wife that i have. i vote leave them nagging at home.

rock
03-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I know my wife would come hunting with me if I asked, and she would be more than willing to help with the kill, but there is a time for them to stay home or take along pending on the conditions. I've taken her a few times either early season or late she never complains no matter the situation I guess I'm lucky that way. But now I have a son getting into hunting so I spend lots of time with him grooming his hunting skills.

mark
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
i got mine into hunting and she loves it, pickin it up pretty quick too, shes very eager to get out! its really nice to share one of my favorite hobbies, and greatest experiences with her, lets us spend alot more time together too. but dont get me wrong she cant come all the time, still got to go with the guys and get out solo too when i have the most luck!

huntwriter
03-14-2006, 10:21 PM
A lot of advice came your way so I am going to throw my two cents into it. Taking you loved one hunting is a very personal choice. I tried for many years to get my wife hunting too. It is not that she dosen't like it but she likes it even more to shoot animals with a camera and I respect that. So we do together as often as we can. While I hunt she goes off to some other place to photograph.

My advice, and what worked for me to get her interested in my sport, is this. Take her out with you in the field to observe animals and scout. Exlain to her how to read sign and what to look for. Be patient and make it fun. Why not make a romantic camping weekend out of it.

At this stage you soon will find out if she likes to hike around. If she does take her on a small weekend hunting trip where she does not have to "work" to hard to get over hill and dale. Or take her small game or upland hunting.

I found most woman are a little upset when they see a large dead animal for the first time. So you have to get them used to it with smaller animals like rabbits, coyotes and such. The most important aspect is to make it fun and do not get angry if she can't keep up or don't get it right away. Let her know how much you apriciate her company and what a good team you two could make. There is nothing worse, for any hunting partner, then the feeling of "tagging" along or being "just about tolerated."

Good Luck.

Rod
03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Been hunting with my wife for 14 years after meeting her while cleaning machineguns. Had many great experiences together and I have always thought that we were going to be together until we were both old and grey.

Well i'm getting a little grey and I guess she wanted someone with a little more party spirit so she walked last summer. Now I would love to take her hunting again... I think I might call her up and ask if she wants to go out this spring.... anyone know where I can pick up a bearskin coat cheap :-)

Red Foreman
03-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I tried taking my G/F out hunting,she wouldn't get out to hike so we road hunted with her driving.She wouldn't go below 50 kmh or go on any roads that "looked" too rough.She spent the whole time yakking about some pretty dress she seen on sale,cooking ect.I gave up put the gun away and broke out the beer turned it into a booney cruise.I wouldn't have needed a gun if we'd seen a deer,it would have committed suicide after listening to ramble on endlessly about sewing patterns.Man I really don't miss her.

Foxer
03-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Been hunting with my wife for 14 years after meeting her while cleaning machineguns.

Jeez dude.

What the heck were you hunting?!? :)

moosecaller
03-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Actually Moose you are too young to be thinking of a girlfriend, you should spend your time on your studies so you can afford a girlfiend at a later date after you graduate and get a good job. Does Auntie Barb know about this ask her what she thinks?

JohnS
03-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Hahahaha! I always get lucky :-P but ya the solo thing is good too... as for the Nagging its ever where ya go.....

CanuckShooter
03-15-2006, 07:16 AM
On a side note moose hunter save yourself for someone you are going to spend more than a puppy love time frame with.

LOL>>>coming from a married man??<<<>>>there is enough time for abstinence after the wedding!!<<<

moose hunter
03-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Actually Moose you are too young to be thinking of a girlfriend, you should spend your time on your studies so you can afford a girlfiend at a later date after you graduate and get a good job. Does Auntie Barb know about this ask her what she thinks?

im on the principals list no problems at school my parents let me take a week off to go hunting out of school when my grades r good very happy

Foxer
03-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Quit giving the guy a hard time about wanting to hunt with is lady, guys! Times are changing - the womenfolk are getting into the sport and that's a GOOD thing.

If he want's to hunt with her, that's his funeral.

(did i say that out loud? I mean, of course, his choice.)

mark
03-15-2006, 11:56 AM
WOW, alot of negative responses from some here, all i can say is getting the GF into it has been great! someone to pass all my knowledge to, and seeing her get her first kills is more exciting than getting it myself. also reminds me of my first times! ironic though, shes got a spring grizz draw now, i never thought shed outdo me so soon!

Jetboater
03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Like Mark says!!!. boys my GF will out pack most of the people I hunt with any time we go. not only that, she does not complain because she does not want special treatment from anyone. I ll bet if some of you guys actually picked up the slack around the house and were not the lazi sacks like most guys are you would get less complaining then you could enjoy each others company while hunting.you guys that believe your wifes soul purpose on this earth is to cook and clean for you should reavaluate you relationships.
go hunting to enjoy hunting not to evade your wife and the daily chores that should be done by both parts.

johnes50
03-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Please don't start your GF with a large bore rifle. Let her shoot something that won't dislocate her shoulder like a .223, .243 or anything in that range with a light recoil. Once she's used to that then she can work her way up to something larger if she wants.

I've taken my daughter hunting with me since she was 12 years old. She's 17 now and has gone out hunting with me more times than her older brother. She started off carriying a .22 or .410 to shoot any grouse that we might see. Now she's comfortable carrying my .243 and has shot my 30-30. She's a good shoot with a rifle and isn't afraid of the recoil.

She knows when it's OK to talk and when she should be quite and never complains about being cold or that we're too far from the truck and isn't afraid of walking in the bush even if there is bear or cougar sign. Actually, she does complain, that I don't take her hunting enough. She even encourages me during off season to go camping so we can scout different areas.

I can't think of a better person to take hunting then a family member, especially if you take your time and let them grow into the sport and get to enjoy it as much as you do.

woodscamper
03-16-2006, 01:59 PM
I have a boyfriend (270WIN) who hunts religiously. He really wants me to get into it as well. Still undecided on the topic so I joined here to read up on it a bunch after sitting beside him while he is on here all the time. I have been an avid flyfisher for 12 years or so now and alot of the time in the past have done it on my own as I tended to meet men who said they were into those types of things, but then you take them into the bush and they cry and moan like babies!!!

"It's too cold! When will it stop raining?!" and on and on...

Those men who want their women there hunting at their sides... kudos to you. Nice to see some men out there want to share their passions with their loved ones, not run away from them for the guys' weekends all the time.

All I can say is I'm glad I have a bf like I do who enjoys my company and that I will not ever be thought of as a whiner...

I'm not the type to give up my passions for someone cause they want to hang with the guys. I'm glad that I am one of the "guys". I wouldn't have it any other way!! He'd be long gone, if he had the horrible attitude some of you have about your gf's!!! Hehe...

Anyways... each to their own. Glad I spend more time in the bush getting dirty than I do baking pies... (if only I knew how to bake one)...

moose hunter
03-16-2006, 02:56 PM
thanks and let me be the first to welcome u to hbc, my gf just prefers not to kill animals she has done grouse and rabbits before

Foxer
03-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Glad I spend more time in the bush getting dirty than I do baking pies... (if only I knew how to bake one)...

Try making a pie in the bush. They won't know WHAT to think of you :)

Hey, lets not kid ourselves here. Women can be every bit as tough as men, and can shoot every bit as well. Think women aren't tough? Watch a birth video.

But old habits and customs die hard. The older folk around here are still warming up to the idea that women in camp isn't one of the signs of the apocolypse.

Me, personally, i have a simple rule - dont' argue with a woman holding a gun, they can go wherever they darn well like :)

moose hunter
03-16-2006, 04:16 PM
i made muffins in the bush before:)

bcboy
03-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Try making a pie in the bush. They won't know WHAT to think of you :)

Hey, lets not kid ourselves here. Women can be every bit as tough as men, and can shoot every bit as well. Think women aren't tough? Watch a birth video.

But old habits and customs die hard. The older folk around here are still warming up to the idea that women in camp isn't one of the signs of the apocolypse.

Me, personally, i have a simple rule - dont' argue with a woman holding a gun, they can go wherever they darn well like :)

I hunt not socialise, however as an older folk I have been praised by women for my understanding and patience still leave them at home if the hunt is more than the 2 of you.

If a women holds a gun to me she better be carefull she might get what she really wants.

I hunt with people I like ....pretty much it, if it aint fun stay home.

Fact is some women say I am a natural lesbian:-?

huntwriter
03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Woman are coming to hunting big time and I think it is great.

In America a study has shown that woman hunters make out to be the biggest new segment joining the ranks of hunters, more so than young hunters. The latest estimate is that there are more than 1.5 million woman joining the hunters in the woods and the number is steadily climbing.

There are hunting magaziens "The Lady Hunter" and others cattering to the woman hunters needs. Plus several camouflage companies bringing out a Lady line of camouflage clothing. More recently even firearm and bow manufacturers begin to make special weapons for woman.

Like it or not, some of you, the woman are here to stay and that is very good so. We need more hunters, a lot more, if we are to keep our heritage and way of life. Numbers impress politicans and the more hunters, male and female, we have the less likely politicans are going to mess with us.

On another note woman are much better with children than man and thus woman are more likely to recruit young hunters than man. This is a fact, studies have shown that woman hunting instructors are much more sucessful and fewer of their students fail than by male examiners.

moose hunter
03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
hw how do u always know a good thing to say u sound like a real smartie pardon my english :) that makes total sense and its all in perspective

Foxer
03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
On another note woman are much better with children than man and thus woman are more likely to recruit young hunters than man. This is a fact, studies have shown that woman hunting instructors are much more sucessful and fewer of their students fail than by male examiners.

Now that i did NOT know.

I've seen some studies that show they tend to shoot better than men.

woodscamper
03-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome moose hunter. It is much appreciated.

As for the women instructors... on the other end I taught flycasting lessons for a bit. The women tended to learn easier from me I think maybe due to the not being intimidated by me factor. The look of relief on their faces to see a young female teaching them was pretty funny. However, the older gent who was in the class didn't show up for the second night. Too funny. The look on his face and his reaction of "YOU'RE the instructor?!" when I introduced myself to him before the class started was priceless.

I had my money on his not showing up the second night anyways. The other man that brought his wife did very well though and I assume him and his wife are out thoroughly enjoying flyfishing now.

My biggest thing I keep telling my bf about getting me into hunting is the fact I have this mental block about eating game. Kinda weird. I keep telling him why would I shoot one when I don't eat it (even though he would be more than happy too!)...

Although I keep saying a big moose rack got by me would like mighty good over the fireplace....

Hmmmm... maybe this will be the year....

bcboy
03-16-2006, 10:01 PM
On another note woman are much better with children than man and thus woman are more likely to recruit young hunters than man. This is a fact, studies have shown that woman hunting instructors are much more sucessful and fewer of their students fail than by male examiners.[/quote]

One of the main reasons our new society sucks.!!! Young men are told by mothers to do this, then they start school and for another 12 yrs. lectured to by women.
Sorry I am equal rights but I aint no panty waste either, I hunt like a man and I dont mind the odd woman hunting but hey! dont paint them as a savior to the continued well being of hunting.:roll:
And no I dont like being lectured to by women..I look at some of the young people today and am amazed they dont freakin wear dresses after being harassed by women for the first 18 yrs of thier lives.
Stick to the bloody subject BUD!

bcboy
03-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Now that i did NOT know.

I've seen some studies that show they tend to shoot better than men.

Not any I've met, and it does not look like the military is advertising for

female gunners or Artillerymen..

If the kid wants to hunt with his girlfriend then ok..personally I think he

should spend more time in school perfecting his writing skills.!!!

moose hunter
03-16-2006, 11:26 PM
woods camper i think u and i r guna be pals,  i have a lot of frends in abby do u know christine kutt? anyhoo my gf lives in hixon i don’t get to c her often cuz shes an hour drive away and if she has time to c me in the fall i want her to come hunting with me cuz that’s all i do in my spare time  take ur good grammar and shove it it says no where that i need to use that at least u understand

Silent Wolf
03-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Moose Hunter,

IHMO the G/F is safer in the Camp making the meals for the boys:wink:. From what I have read through the posts here it is you that wants her to get into hunting. Now if in fact it is she that wants to do it, she should be signing up on the fourms getting a real feel for hunting, as really how much hunting have ya done? since ya only what 13??

Lucky for my hunting parteners it is more of a get away from the wifes:wink: Whats the matter with that one, why not shoot it, its cold I want to go back to camp. I'm hungry, I am board get my point.

I am with BcBoy on this one:wink:

SW

Silent Wolf
03-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Dude you call that your G/F??? What does your dad take the two of you to the drive in movies??? Tell her to watch out for the Popcorn Monster:twisted: :shock:

My G/F lives in Buttswana I don't see her much as it is too far to drive:shock:

bcboy
03-16-2006, 11:39 PM
woods camper i think u and i r guna be pals,  i have a lot of frends in abby do u know christine kutt? anyhoo my gf lives in hixon i don’t get to c her often cuz shes an hour drive away and if she has time to c me in the fall i want her to come hunting with me cuz that’s all i do in my spare time  take ur good grammar and shove it it says no where that i need to use that at least u understand

Whatever your name is I do not even understand you. Is this the sorry state of our education system??

I am kinda of offended by your posts and your attempt at English language, I can offer help if you ask but I am begining to believe you are only here to cause trouble.

I am not here to belittle you or make fun of you I am just wondering if you really are 14 yrs old, and if why are you trying to act so much older.

The moderators make allowances for age and such, moderators!! why are you not editing some of these posts into English. I think you are doing him and us a diservice by allowing him to pigeon english us.

Anyway best of luck to you Moose Hunter whoever you may be:confused:

bcboy
03-16-2006, 11:46 PM
[quote=huntwriter]Woman are coming to hunting big time and I think it is great.

Like it or not, some of you, the woman are here to stay and that is very good so. We need more hunters, a lot more, if we are to keep our heritage and way of life. Numbers impress politicans and the more hunters, male and female, we have the less likely politicans are going to mess with us.

Thats your opinion..hunting will survive regardless.

Foxer
03-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Not any I've met, and it does not look like the military is advertising for

female gunners or Artillerymen..

Ahh - how wrong you are my friend... there's a female squad leader in afghanistan right now leading combat patrols and she's the crack shot of the unit (one of the reasons she got the job). You can see her in the picture the paper had of harper with 'the troops'.

And our friend the russian princess seems to hit what she's shooting at. It's getting her to stop shooting it that's the problem... :)

bcboy
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Ahh - how wrong you are my friend... there's a female squad leader in afghanistan right now leading combat patrols and she's the crack shot of the unit (one of the reasons she got the job). You can see her in the picture the paper had of harper with 'the troops'.

And our friend the russian princess seems to hit what she's shooting at. It's getting her to stop shooting it that's the problem... :)

I still have not met any of them..and btw the Canadian army probably has a policy for advancment by minorities.
Yes foxer woman can shoot..Russian snipers in WW2 had some fantastic female snipers.
Women want this they want that..sorry I am being overly sarcastic because everyone here is trying to be politically correct.Me I dont care, women are not the saviour for this mans sport but they can join just dont take over.
And for the record even the best woman marksman have not compared to men, its easy to pull a trigger but a full combat rig snipers are to carry far exceed what a smaller stature person can handle.

And if it came to life or death in a military situation where the person involved had to kill or be killed I would pick guess what!! Same goes for pickin a partner to back me up hunting.

Honestly Foxer is this guy for real,,, I feel like if i dont kiss his a#$ or agree or play papa to him he gets a hissy fit..
You know me Foxer I am a honest guy I mean him no harm but I got my limits too, I cant out write you or out type you but I am experienced enough to know when we are gewttin duped

Steeleco
03-17-2006, 01:40 AM
why are you not editing some of these posts into English. I think you are doing him and us a diservice by allowing him to pigeon english us.

Well unlike some of our younger members, some of us have careers and families. ;-) ;-) I see typing like this on some other sites, I find it just plain lazy.

The more popular this site becomes the more work we mods are having to do to keep the peace. A few members have been banned for their actions, I'm sure there'll be more.

Foxer
03-17-2006, 01:45 AM
why are you not editing some of these posts into English. I think you are doing him and us a diservice by allowing him to pigeon english us.

You're right - in fact, being so lazy makes me feel real guilty about not cashing my paycheck from this place.

Oh... wait a minute... :grin:

Moose - try to use less nettalk and Leetspeak, and make our lives a little easier would ya? :) Thanks guy.

huntwriter
03-17-2006, 02:58 AM
One of the main reasons our new society sucks.!!! Young men are told by mothers to do this, then they start school and for another 12 yrs. lectured to by women.
Sorry I am equal rights but I aint no panty waste either, I hunt like a man and I dont mind the odd woman hunting but hey! dont paint them as a savior to the continued well being of hunting.:roll:
And no I dont like being lectured to by women..I look at some of the young people today and am amazed they dont freakin wear dresses after being harassed by women for the first 18 yrs of thier lives.
Stick to the bloody subject BUD!
Reading your contributions to this discussion makes me wonder what went wrong in your life that you come across as a woman hater. Why do you come down on everybody speaking favourable of women?

In one aspect you speak of equal rights and then contradict youself by saying you are not a "panty waist".

The reason why society "sucks" has nothing to do with woman but a whole lot with liberal politicans and displaced resposiblity. When you say "lectured" and "harrased" by woman then you must have had real bad experiences in your life that you feel like that about woman. Most of our childhood and young adulthood we are taught by woman, like our mothers and school teachers (most of them woman). This has worked well for thousands of years so where do you get this idea from that it is all the women's fault today -scratches his head in wonderment-.

Seeing a woman, including a wife or girlfriend, as equal partner and not as a cheap housecleaners and personal servants has nothing to with political correctness but a lot more with manners and common respect for others.

I am not painting woman as saviors of our sport but rather as a very welcome addition to our sport and an important asset for the hunting industry. These two aspects, numbers and money, combined give us more strength as as a whole. Besides many hunters enjoy sharing their time afield with someone they love - by far not all woman complain -. I personally know many woman hunters which not only look very attractive but would also kick so many man's butt when it comes to hunting. Here is one as representative for many, Brenda Valentine a noted outdoor writer who has more entries in the trophy books than many, if any including me, on this forum. But not only is she an outstanding hunter, writer and seminar speaker. She also is heavily involved in the hunting community trough chareties and children hunting camps. She has done very likely more to safeguard our heritage then you have done. Plus she raised a familiy all by herself after her husband and hunting partner died.

The subject here is woman and hunting, therfore I fail to see how I am not sticking to the "bloddy subject".

It would be nice if you could lighten up a bit and stop to flame everybody here. An old saying goes: "If you have nothing nice to say it is better to say nothing".:wink:

Foxer
03-17-2006, 03:32 AM
I think a little less speculation about people's past might be in order folks.

And huntwriter, i think if you examined his comments you'd see they pertained to the idea you put forward of women being better teachers, presumably as scamper i believe mentioned because they're less intimidating.

And, lets face it, there's some historical truth to the fact that women have not exactly been our allies traditionally - few female educators have anything nice to say about hunting as a rule - wendi (a prof at ryerson) has been our mortal enemy, and the death of 14 women at the hands of a lunatic has been used to beat gun owners over the head for, what, 15 years now? (strangely the death of 60 at the hands of a pig farmer hasn't become a rallying cry for the registration of pigs. :) )

However, while the points he makes are probably more valid than not - i think it tends to highlight that we DO need more women supporters in the sport.

bcboy
03-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Reading your contributions to this discussion makes me wonder what went wrong in your life that you come across as a woman hater. Why do you come down on everybody speaking favourable of women?

In one aspect you speak of equal rights and then contradict youself by saying you are not a "panty waist".

The reason why society "sucks" has nothing to do with woman but a whole lot with liberal politicans and displaced resposiblity. When you say "lectured" and "harrased" by woman then you must have had real bad experiences in your life that you feel like that about woman. Most of our childhood and young adulthood we are taught by woman, like our mothers and school teachers (most of them woman). This has worked well for thousands of years so where do you get this idea from that it is all the women's fault today -scratches his head in wonderment-.

Seeing a woman, including a wife or girlfriend, as equal partner and not as a cheap housecleaners and personal servants has nothing to with political correctness but a lot more with manners and common respect for others.

I am not painting woman as saviors of our sport but rather as a very welcome addition to our sport and an important asset for the hunting industry. These two aspects, numbers and money, combined give us more strength as as a whole. Besides many hunters enjoy sharing their time afield with someone they love - by far not all woman complain -. I personally know many woman hunters which not only look very attractive but would also kick so many man's butt when it comes to hunting. Here is one as representative for many, Brenda Valentine a noted outdoor writer who has more entries in the trophy books than many, if any including me, on this forum. But not only is she an outstanding hunter, writer and seminar speaker. She also is heavily involved in the hunting community trough chareties and children hunting camps. She has done very likely more to safeguard our heritage then you have done. Plus she raised a familiy all by herself after her husband and hunting partner died.

The subject here is woman and hunting, therfore I fail to see how I am not sticking to the "bloddy subject".

It would be nice if you could lighten up a bit and stop to flame everybody here. An old saying goes: "If you have nothing nice to say it is better to say nothing".:wink:

Why is thread still going??? I dont hate anyone I have not met:roll:

moose hunter
03-17-2006, 12:33 PM
ok ok you win I will fix my bad grammar. anything to keep my place in this great website . Women have every rite to go hunt and be outdoors, bcboy I apologize for my arrogance I am not the easiest kid to get along with until you get to know me. and if any of you would like to know my name is Daniel and I am 13. I apologize for any mean things I have said ;)

Foxer
03-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks moose hunter :)

MB_Boy
03-17-2006, 01:25 PM
And, lets face it, there's some historical truth to the fact that women have not exactly been our allies traditionally - few female educators have anything nice to say about hunting as a rule - wendi (a prof at ryerson) has been our mortal enemy, and the death of 14 women at the hands of a lunatic has been used to beat gun owners over the head for, what, 15 years now? (strangely the death of 60 at the hands of a pig farmer hasn't become a rallying cry for the registration of pigs. :) )

It is a horrible thing that happened, but I could not help to have a bit of a chuckle in the fact that Foxer makes a very good point here!!

Steeleco
03-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks from me to Daniel, I like it when we all play nice ;);)

bcboy
03-17-2006, 02:17 PM

Wow I play Devils Advocate and it just flies over some peoples

heads:eek: ....not all thou. thanks for your support boys

sub urban bow hunter
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
This is awesome,
Moose Hunter can't you write anything, even in a PM, that doesn't cause a 7 page thread?

IMHO What scares me most in the bush and on the roads isn't women or young men, its the older gentlemen who dont know the gas from the brake or the safety from the trigger.

Some of the funniest/interesting threads i have read on here in the last bit were started by moose hunter or the people he has ?motivated?
Good work for a 13 year old I say! Might make a good politician one day:roll:

Back to the thread, I got my wife into hunting a few years ago with a .410 and a 22. Nice and light, easy to handle. she turned out to be a real good shot with them, even better than me. We would go grouse hunting and after I flushed them out she would pick them off, then enjoy a nice beverage while I found them and brought them back to her. I had to handle them very gently so as not to damage them but she was very happy and enjoyed herself, so I was happy. She wants to try waterfoul next, so i am looking into wetsuits...

BTW Birddog "get her into cooking and cleaning" i think i soiled myself!!:grin: My wife laughed about it when i told her, i was cooking dinner, vacuming and fetching things for her at the time...

Wahoo its friday! Maybe she will let me go fishing this weekend? I guess I will be working the downriggers and setting the gear while she fights fish but its still fishing right?
(now thats the devils advocate):wink:

Birddog
03-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Glad I could give you a chuckle. :mrgreen: BTW my wife said I could say that, but I had to do the dish's before I could play on the computer. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers Birddog

moose hunter
03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
This is awesome,
Moose Hunter can't you write anything, even in a PM, that doesn't cause a 7 page thread?

IMHO What scares me most in the bush and on the roads isn't women or young men, its the older gentlemen who dont know the gas from the brake or the safety from the trigger.

Some of the funniest/interesting threads i have read on here in the last bit were started by moose hunter or the people he has ?motivated?
Good work for a 13 year old I say! Might make a good politician one day

Back to the thread, I got my wife into hunting a few years ago with a .410 and a 22. Nice and light, easy to handle. she turned out to be a real good shot with them, even better than me. We would go grouse hunting and after I flushed them out she would pick them off, then enjoy a nice beverage while I found them and brought them back to her. I had to handle them very gently so as not to damage them but she was very happy and enjoyed herself, so I was happy. She wants to try waterfoul next, so i am looking into wetsuits...

BTW Birddog "get her into cooking and cleaning" i think i soiled myself!!My wife laughed about it when i told her, i was cooking dinner, vacuming and fetching things for her at the time...

Wahoo its friday! Maybe she will let me go fishing this weekend? I guess I will be working the downriggers and setting the gear while she fights fish but its still fishing right?
(now thats the devils advocate)

i like this guy ;) i hate politicians though i would never sink that low and the reason all my threads last is simply because every body wants to argue with the kid ;)

Foxer
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
i would never sink that low

You might, if we were to use good leg weights and the water was deep enough. :)

bcboy
03-17-2006, 05:49 PM
i like this guy ;) i hate politicians though i would never sink that low and the reason all my threads last is simply because every body wants to argue with the kid ;)

No one wants to argue with you at all. In fact if it was not for opionated, hardass rednecks your freedom of speach might be limited and in another language ..if ya get my drift.
Remember if you just try to cause contraversy no one will really get to know you..

Schmaus
03-18-2006, 04:02 AM
whoaaa there BCBOY let it go guy, just let it go.

moosecaller
03-18-2006, 09:10 AM
[quote=sub urban bow hunter]?

You are treading on incitful and dangerous ground here to single out a certain group is bias and will not fly unless you can say this is the case each and every time. I do not think this type of behaviour is unique to any age group or gender. I have seen this stuff done by every group and gender while I have been driving and hunting I would like this comment withdrawn it will only cause hard feelings and show your intolerance for others.

Ltbullken
03-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Whao! Some 'interesting' opinions here. Nevertheless, my wife comes out with me once in a while. They are great times. We chat about nature, wildlife, I share what I can about the things we see in the bush, sometimes we even pull over and... ;)

Ahem, anyway, I try not to force hunting on her, but do make the trip enjoyable and more focussed on the experience than focussed on killing something. Pack a picnic lunch, choose an area that is easy to hunt and get to. Trudging long distances through tough bush to your favorite hide is a sure way to lose out. Choose fair weather days, too. If you try to throw a pack on her for a 7-day alpine sheep hunt - you've lost her forever. Unless she is fit and up to something like that.

A few years ago, I took my wife on a spring black bear hunt - just a day hunt. Made a good breakfast, left at a liesurely time, had a picnic lunch, some coolers (beer for me) and drove out to the area (about 45 mins). It was a big cut block that had a couple of nice overwatches on it that would take no more than 15 mins to walk onto and you did not feel like you were on a stairmaster afterwards. Sat for a while, talking about the habits of bears, bear habitat, behaviour in the spring, etc., when SHE spotted a bear! :-o She promptly took the binos from me to glass it. We watched it for about 10 mins before deciding it was worthy enough for the freezer. We did a short stalk together and I dropped it with my 308.

The whole experience about walking up to the carcass, dressing it, and dragging it (she helped), was just fasinating for her. She took part in the experience, helped out and it wasn't forced. She doesn't come out me all the time and when she does I adjust my expectations about my hunting. My hunting is quite a bit more intense and puritan and she would not enjoy that - maybe later, she will. We are planning on going up north for a moose hunt in the future and she is 'game' but we got to wait a bit until the kids are older.

Firearm advice if firearms are your tool of choice - go with easy calibres. If its deer - go for a .243 or .260. For larger, .280 and you carry a bigger calibre. If recoil is not a problem for her then go with what she shoots well.

Happy hunting and watch out for species dying off on the vine - some of which are on this thread!:lol:

mapguy
09-08-2006, 06:52 AM
my wife and i have been hunting together for years she's 52 she has shot deer and moose . she guts , skins and uses a 270