PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting

bckev
03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi
I am wondering if anyone had any luck with the new turkey season in the okanagan. Any tips. I just picked up a call to try the spring season. I saw turkeys before the season opened last fall, but of course never saw them again when I could shoot them. They are a lot bigger than I thought they would be.

sparkymacker
03-14-2006, 08:33 PM
I have not seen any around here (Kelowna) but I did hear that there were lots around Rock Creek and Christina Lake. Sounds like fun if you knew where to look for them.

ruger#1
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
there are also turkeys east of oliver. they are moving in and the farmers dont like it.ive hunted the rock creek area for over twenty years and never seen one, but i know alot of people that have seen them.

huntwriter
03-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi
I am wondering if anyone had any luck with the new turkey season in the okanagan. Any tips. I just picked up a call to try the spring season. I saw turkeys before the season opened last fall, but of course never saw them again when I could shoot them. They are a lot bigger than I thought they would be.
The turkeys you have seen last fall may have moved on before the hunting season opend. Turkeys are like deer and any other game animal, they go where the food is and if the weather gets colder they seek wind shilded palces. You have to scout for them and find out the 4 W of scouting, what, where, when and why. After your initial scouting you have to keep on top of the movement and keep on scouting. Food changes all the time and if it does so will the turkeys travel patterns and locations.

Ronforca
03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I have seen quite a few Turkeks in our general area and it appears that they like to hang around creeks.At least that is where I see them.

huntwriter
03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I have seen quite a few Turkeks in our general area and it appears that they like to hang around creeks.At least that is where I see them.

Turkeys like river bottoms and places near other water ways. Because it is there where there choice food grows first in the spring. It also offers the turkey the best of both, open fields and cover nearby.

Turkeys like to roost in the higher elevations such as a ridge top in trees with sturdy branches and easy access, like an old pine tree or other high tree with not to many small branches and foilage in the way. In the early moring, shortly after day break, they fly down and make their way slowly to the lower areas to feed and socialize. In the mid afternoon the turkeys make their way slowly back to the higher elevations to the roosting tree.