PDA

View Full Version : ATV Kawasaki Brute Force or....?

Spokerider
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking of buying an ATV for yard chores, doubling the mrs around on backroads, backcountry trail / route exploration, and for the annual moose trip etc.. I used to have a Honda Big Red that was fun for tooling around on.....
I've looked at the 2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i. This 4x4 has the independant rear susp. Kawi makes another 650 model with the solid rear axle also. Has anyone got time in the saddle on one of these Kawi's?
I understand the Suzuki King Quad 700 is a good bike also. I'm not fussy for Yamaha... had two road bikes and would not buy another Yamaha. Polaris, I'm not sure... I was told that they have a less than stellar repair record..

Any imput??

trigger
03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I have the polaris sportsman 600 twin. I used to love the bike. Lots of clearance. Awesome ride. Until i rolled it. Now i dont even look at the thing. its twisted so bad. Them new arctic cats are sweet. I would say go look into one of them.

lip_ripper00
03-14-2006, 12:07 PM
If and when you need them. I find kawi parts more expensive than the rest

mtnmax
03-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Gas milage sucks on the Kawi and Polaris. I found that when the cc's got over 500 and when the twin cylinders happened the bikes started to drink fuel. My experience and a few buddies too. One of them sell Kawisaki bikes. If you are going to be doing alot of work around the yard the solid rear axle is the way to go. They are all work horses that you can play on. I have had Big Bears in 1990 and Polaris Sportsman 500 in 2000 and have buddies with the Kawi 650 and Polaris 650's. I even had an Artic Cat 400 in 2002. Did not like the Cat. My favorite was the Sportsman 500 in 2000. Lots of power for work and play with great fuel milage.
Just my opinion,,,hope it helps.

000buck
03-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Perhaps Youre Looking To Big I've Got 300 Arcticcat 4x Its Been An Awesome Machine...
Before You Giggle To Much About Hauling Power Its Got A 5 Speed Semi With A Three Speed Sub Trans Count'em Thats 15 It'll Almost Climb Trees.it Doubles Well And (i Didn't Say That) And Does The Job With Out Being To Tall(rollover) Or Wide (the 400 Has To Go Round What I Go Between)

Food For Thought

REPO
03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
I personally have a Kawi Prairie 700. Its been a great machine so far. Had it for 2 years now and I drive the hell out of it. (racing, jumping, mudbogs, over the handle bars in water, etc)

The Brute's have a nicer ride with the independant, but if you plan on pulling a trailer for working around the yard, get the straight axle.

And just so you know, the Prairie 700 comes with a factory 3 year warranty, at no extra charge..........all the others (including Brute) only have a 6 month warranty.

Spokerider
03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the input fellas.

Trigger- One roll with the polaris and the frame twisted!? Ouch. My local Kawi dealer who used to sell polaris claimed that he got quite a few polaris atv's back with broken frames. Now he sells Kawasaki....

mtnmax- So I hear. I'm told the larger bikes use alot of fuel. Not really an issue for day trips, but when moose hunting I'll be packing more jerry cans I guess.

000buck- Is there an AC dealer on the lower Island? I would like to check them out if so.

Repo-Sounds like you are happy with the prairie 700. Gotta like the 3 year warranty. Kawi has a 2 year warranty on the BF's right now, not sure about the others though, through to the end of may. They'll also include a 2500 Warn winch too. Have you had any trouble / issues with the Prairie? Why is it reccomended to get the solid axle over IRS for pulling a trailer and other yard work? Just wondering....

REPO
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the input fellas.

Repo-Sounds like you are happy with the prairie 700. Gotta like the 3 year warranty. Kawi has a 2 year warranty on the BF's right now, not sure about the others though, through to the end of may. They'll also include a 2500 Warn winch too. Have you had any trouble / issues with the Prairie? Why is it reccomended to get the solid axle over IRS for pulling a trailer and other yard work? Just wondering....

I have found that the rear end tends to squat more with a heavy load hooked to the rear because of the independant suspension. Keep in mind that the load on the hitch is on top of the suspension, so the shocks have to absorb the trailer tonque weight, where with a solid rear suspension, the tires have to hold the tongue weight.

My bike has never been in the shop yet. I love it. When I bought mine they had the winch on it as well.

As for the warranty, the more the better I say. But 2 years is also very good. Try and get that for free from any other brands. :roll:

This is just my opinion, but why would they offer a free 2 or 3 year warranty if they didn't KNOW it could be reliable? If they will only give a 6 month, then they know it won't last. JMO

Reid

Dragginbait
03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
[quote=Spokerider]Thanks for the input fellas.

000buck- Is there an AC dealer on the lower Island? I would like to check them out if so.
There is a dealer in Duncan, turn left before the silver bridge coming from the south side, then another quick left, they are about a hundred yards down the road on your right. (forgot there name)

johnes50
03-15-2006, 09:22 AM
The Arctic Cat dealer in Duncan is Cowichan Valley Auto Sales

http://www.web-merchants.com/CVAS/

rocksteady
03-15-2006, 09:27 AM
I have a 2002 Bombardier Quest 650 Automatic and have had no problems with it at all....

Never even complained when I strapped half a bull elk on the rear rack....

Big seat on it so very comfy for you and the wifey....

Goes like stink too...Had the speedo over 110 kmh on good road.....

Check them out...I recommend them...

30-06
03-15-2006, 12:29 PM
hey.the only quad i have owned is a Honda Rincon 650.it is front and back independent suspension,lots on power,can be auto matic,or standard n o clutch,tons on power,builtin GPS,digital screen.there nice go anywhere.

30-06
03-15-2006, 12:31 PM
i would never own an arctic cat,suzuki.thye only quads that blow up on u .

30-06
03-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Heres the rincon.u can get it in Camo,Olive green,Red,Black

http://powersports.honda.com/images/model/model_images/atvs/2006/FourTrax_Rincon_GPScape_Camo.jpg

000buck
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
[quote=Spokerider]Thanks for the input fellas.

There is a dealer in Duncan, turn left before the silver bridge coming from the south side, then another quick left, they are about a hundred yards down the road on your right. (forgot there name)

Its arctic cat (big black and green sign) located in the budget brake and muffler building beside budget rent a car

000buck
03-15-2006, 02:44 PM
i would never own an arctic cat,suzuki.thye only quads that blow up on u .

Ive had my arctic cat 4 years now never had a problem, got a buddy that bought a honda wreaked quick and several times guess nothing is idiot proof eh.

Brambles
03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Right now I drive a 2004.5 Polaris 500 HO with a bunch of goodies. I like the quad but there are also a few things that I would change about it if I could.

If I had to buy a new quad right now I would definitly buy the Suzuki 700 king quad. Its light, has independant rear suspension, locking front diff, recoil backup, backup override button, EFI which is reported to provide excellent fuel economy and starting.
Its a very well thought out ATV and it tops my list. I test drove on a little bit at the dealer and felt good.

Fido
03-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Well I have a yamy 225 moto 4x2 it had been a great atv for 18 years and now I have a 2001 Honda 350 es and it has been a very good atv, so find one that fits and you like there are good ones and bad ones but Honda are beeter then the rest:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding.

ratherbefishin
03-17-2006, 08:23 AM
so...if you just were looking for a quad to go hunting, not racing or extreme riding-what would you choose,in an older model,and what sort of mileage would be considered low, or before you would expect to be replacing a lot of parts and incuring expensive repairs?

Phred
03-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Go for a stright axle rear end if you plan on doing any kinda heavy duty work or pull a trailer with the thing.
I have a kawi 400 and it runs great. I'd buy another one for sure.

ratherbefishin
03-18-2006, 08:36 AM
so,what would you expect to pay for an older quad, hopefully not abused or had the guts run out of it and what sort of mileage would be reasonable so as to leave some life left in it before a lot of major repairs bills would have to be spent?