PDA

View Full Version : Archery Supplies Lowermainland

270WIN
03-08-2010, 06:34 PM
just wondering were everone in the lower mainland is getting there archery equipment. I lookied at boormans but would also like to look around at other places. Looking for a new bow and stuff to set it up

Bow Walker
03-09-2010, 11:06 AM
There's a couple places out in Abby-town that are reportedly pretty good. Check the phone book, as I can't recall their names.

Good luck.

bruin
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Wayne Meyers of Big Game Archery in Abbotsford, he's got a shop in his basement and is very knowledgable about anything archery.
Big Game Archery

2044 Filuk Place
Abbotsford
604-859-2086

Hub sports has some stuff but I don't know how its run since the new owner.

Jetboater
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Wayne is by far the best to deal with

Wild one
03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Wayne at big game

Dirty
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Wayne at big game

Try getting ahold of him? I left a message 3 days ago?

Wild one
03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Dirty he is closed on Mondays. I have never had a problem getting ahold of Wayne.

mikeinajeep
03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I just went to Stillwater Sports in Ladner today, It was well stocked and good friendly people working there. I got some cheap aluminum bolts to wreck and some nice carbons.

FlyingHigh
03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Hub Sports in Abby has a decent selection. Travis is the guy to talk to. he really knows his stuff.

papaken
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Big Game Archery. Wayne knows his stuff and easy to deal with.

Bow Walker
04-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Well there ya go! Three good recommendations for ya.

dave*
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Was just south of the border in Lynden WA at Dave's Sporting Goods, not a true archery store but they had enough to make it worth my trip.

Not quite lower mainland, I know.

Talk to Bill , he was very helpfull and gave me some pretty good deals, ended up ordering some stuff thru him.

Also Chilliwack Dart and Tackle, Dale is the guy to talk to out there.

Jonny outdoors
03-28-2011, 10:14 PM
1)Wayne at Big Game Archery
2)Dart and Tackle (Dale)

Both places will do the trick

Bow Walker
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Boormans yet - they're in New West.

GRIZZEZE
03-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Big Game Archery is the best place to go.

BCLongshot
05-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Boormans treated me great.

Amazing service just like Reliable.

lineofsight
05-29-2011, 08:58 AM
When Delta proposed a bylaw banning new firearms related businesses Silvercore/Travis, Dlask/Joe, Bits of Pieces/Barry met with the Muni to oppose it, Bryan Mymko / Stillwater Sports thought it was a great idea and supported the Muni (to have a monopoly in Ladner). Are some great guys that work/started out in their basement/garage but some only think of what is good for them and not the industry. May want to consider that when making a recommendation or shopping.

bsa30-06
05-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Boormans yet - they're in New West.

Was just going to do that but you beat me to it,staff is always friendly and very helpfull.

dutchie
05-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Personally I find all local shops to be over-the-top ridiculesly priced for archery gear!

No offense to them but a release from them any local shop was $90... then I went onto Ebay and they were all $25... I looked into the cost and the release was under $30 Canadian. (we deal with Porcupine creek so I have the Canadian Costs for dealers)

I work in the industry and I will support Canadian Business if it is not a HUGE price difference... but come-one.... 400%+ mark up.... go pound sand.

I bought my PSE Evo with all the goodies for under $700(taxes duties and shipping in) brand new from the USA... Tell me why it needs to be a $1100 bare bow in Canada. Wyane at Big Game Archery quoted me $1575+tax for the setup that I have. I know there are going to be the poeple that Harp on shop Local but you know that $800 goes alot further for me in my pocket then in someone else s. Also I did the research and I found the bow that I wanted... with all accessories so Wyanes knowledge and Service Had nothing to do with the transaction.

IMO there is a good reason all of the archery only shops can operate under 40 hours a week with staff and still have loads of money to buy toys and have all the goodies. I have never gone into Big Game Archery without Wyane trying to rape me of my Visa, He even told me that my stabilizer was poor quality then tryed to sell the the exact same on in a 8" version trather then 6"... Similar to with Boormans... the amount that they charge to service your bow is astronomical and should almost be illegal.

What I do is I shop around and I tell them the exact landed cost including Duties, taxes and shipping for me and ask them to match it or even come close.... Them not knowing that I know their costs they generally tell me to beat it... Then I phone them up and thank them for telling me to save money buying from the US. Wyane will now match all the prices for me.

I say shop around HARD... That is the only way the market will be kept in check.

Sounds like a Dickhead thing to do but I work Hard for my money and for me to give it to a guy that does nothing for my business, other then try to over charge me... I will find the best deal and stick with it, even if it taked a few extra weeks to ship.

With all that said Wyane is by far the most knowledgeable and the best at what he does. If you are willing to pay for his lifestyle and pay full price He is the only guy that I would deal with.

Dutchie

Riverbc
05-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Hub Sports in Abby has a decent selection. Travis is the guy to talk to. he really knows his stuff.
Hub Sports has gone down the tubes with the new owner. Travis is now at Reaction Fly and Tackle, just behind the Tim Horton's at Whatcom Rd and the freeway. They are currently setting up a hunting section, the archery section has yet to be built up, but Travis assures me it is coming.

Bow Walker
05-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Dutchie - it's got to do with things like "operating costs" and local "supply and demand".

Operating costs are a tad more here in Canada and while the supply form Wholesalers is generally pretty good - the local demand is just not what it us like down South of the Border. There are many, many more archers buying supplys, bows, and accessories down there, every day on an ongoing basis, than there are up here in a month.

Just the unpleasant facts.

I, too, work hard for my $$ and I will also do a lot of research and price comparison. I will give the local guys the business whenever I can. But sometimes (as you stated) there is just too much of a price difference. When that imbalance gets into the hundreds of dollars - well my money is just too scarce to waste.

dutchie
05-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Wyane at Big Game archery works out of the basement of his house. Talking to him his house is paid off. He is making huge money. He charges $130 for arrows that you can buy at Wholesale Sports for $98.95... ohh wait... he charges to cut them down too. WSS and BGA pay the same price and they buy from the same rep.)

His employees are him and his wife and his son (sometimes)

Boormans ownes the building they are in. They charge huge money for thier lessons and they are very very biased. they have limited staff and thier overhead is very low.

I agree with the overhead of larger stores but Boormans and Big Game archery are poor examples of high overhead.

Big Game Archery is a the best store if you do not do research on what you are buying. Wayne is the most knowlegdgeable and best at what he does... Bar None.

If you want to talk about high overhead Chilliwack Dart and Tackle... Reaction Outdoors... Hubs...

The funny thing is... I have Porcupine Creek's price list. (Thier Distributor) I know what they pay... if you only knew what 12 X-Weaves cost... or the Gold Tips cost... you would feel violated.

Supply and demand does not change when he has to order everything in from Calgary. Then that falls into Pocupine Creek's lap. (they prepay all of the shipping, so a shipping is expensive excuse can not be used.)

EX- G5 Montec - $56.99... Wholesale Sports 39.99... dealer Cost... any one want to guess? the number starts with a $1x.xx...

I am not ragging on Wyane... becasue he is a extreamly knowledgable guy and very pleasent person to talk to (most of the time) and he is a straight shooter... I just have a very big problem with people getting raped because there is no competition.

Dutchie

Bowzone_Mikey
05-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Wyane at Big Game archery works out of the basement of his house. Talking to him his house is paid off. He is making huge money. He charges $130 for arrows that you can buy at Wholesale Sports for $98.95... ohh wait... he charges to cut them down too. WSS and BGA pay the same price and they buy from the same rep.)

His employees are him and his wife and his son (sometimes)

Boormans ownes the building they are in. They charge huge money for thier lessons and they are very very biased. they have limited staff and thier overhead is very low.

I agree with the overhead of larger stores but Boormans and Big Game archery are poor examples of high overhead.

Big Game Archery is a the best store if you do not do research on what you are buying. Wayne is the most knowlegdgeable and best at what he does... Bar None.

If you want to talk about high overhead Chilliwack Dart and Tackle... Reaction Outdoors... Hubs...

The funny thing is... I have Porcupine Creek's price list. (Thier Distributor) I know what they pay... if you only knew what 12 X-Weaves cost... or the Gold Tips cost... you would feel violated.

Supply and demand does not change when he has to order everything in from Calgary. Then that falls into Pocupine Creek's lap. (they prepay all of the shipping, so a shipping is expensive excuse can not be used.)

EX- G5 Montec - $56.99... Wholesale Sports 39.99... dealer Cost... any one want to guess? the number starts with a $1x.xx...

I am not ragging on Wyane... becasue he is a extreamly knowledgable guy and very pleasent person to talk to (most of the time) and he is a straight shooter... I just have a very big problem with people getting raped because there is no competition.

Dutchie

Dutchie ... while I know excatly what you are talking about ... You have to remember that Buddy whats his name that works out of his basement sells what 15 bows a years ...ish... lets say less than 100 dozen arrows a year .... some other supplies here and there ....Broadheads mostly, a few rests, couple sights and other supplies

bows are not a a high mark up item .. I Know what most factories put their stuff out for ... and most of the factories set a MSRP ... and dealers that sell less than that lose their dealership (many down south play that game via online sales.... some have been caught and sued over it... contract issue)

But to make a modest living ... buddy in the basement needs to sell higher than say WSS because of sheer volume ... plain and simple ....

if buddy lowers his prices then he would do more sales ... probally not since he doesnt have the infrastructure to hold the stock ...

Oh and FYI ... Porcupine creek, Monsens and bow river Distributors ... each have at least 2 tiers of pricing based upon the volume that the dealer does ... At least they did last I checked Porkys and Monsens have 3 actually

Granted I havent been around the industry a long time ... but have spent alot of time in differant scale of shops in the past 11 years and picked up on these things

Bow Walker
05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I've know Bow River's wholesale pricing, intimately.

I know what a dozen Fat Boy's, a dozen Gold Tips, or even a dozen arrow inserts cost. Mikey talked about volume of sales, I forgot about that part. Sell more stuff at the retail level and pay less at the wholesale level. It's a fact of life.

In the end, you buy where you want to. It's your $$$

Stéphane
06-19-2011, 06:05 PM
First time I ever heard something that negative about Wayne and Big Game Archery. Here's the deal. Wayne is a top notch archer who can help a new archer like me more than any big store can. His price are reasonable. . . not the cheapest, but fair. Most of the time, I prefer to pay a few bucks more to help out someone in my community who is a pillar for the archery world. I can buy of Ebay if I find a really great deal, but for $10, I much prefer to encourage the guy. The day I'll be too broke to make that choice, that's the day I find a better way to make money, not change shop.

jetboat jim
06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Boormans ownes the building they are in.

living in sapperton all my life I know for a fact that Boormans pays primo dollars for rent to caps....or the children of caps.

and you get what you pay for.........can walmart point out you flaws as a shooter ?
I went to a local large outdoor store and the fella at the archery counter said he could not help me as the guys that know archery were all off at that time.......but I could have saved a few $$$....??

blacklab
06-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Wayne is tops in my book, helped me out a lot when I first started shooting a bow. Try getting any kind of service and help from your "fleebay dealer".

Bow Walker
06-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Service. Before and after the sale is ALL important. Who wants to buy from someone that doesn't know the product or the sport? Talk about a crap shoot!

After sales service is something that the independent guy can offer (and usually does) his customers. Knowledgeable advice/service is worth its weight in gold. You just can't buy it.

Think twice before "saving" a few dollars....

blacktailhunter9999
07-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Reaction tackle is a good store to go check out they got new APA bows and lots of Guns! they will order in anything for you aswell

dave*
07-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Was just poking around the Cabela's website.

Looks like a a second Cabela's is opening up in 2012 in Tulalip WA. Not quite lower mainland but a lot easier to access than the Lacie WA Cabela's.

timbermilton
07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
you could do like me to save a few bucks. make all your own gear. just a thought.

Barracuda
09-13-2011, 01:15 PM
wish there was something for archery in maple ridge , unfortunatly Wanstalls has gotten out of it when i dropped by last week or so ago.

Bow Walker
09-13-2011, 01:39 PM
wish there was something for archery in maple ridge , unfortunatly Wanstalls has gotten out of it when i dropped by last week or so ago.
Take a short drive and visit Wayne @ Big Game Archery - you won't be sorry you did.