PDA

View Full Version : okanagan turkey

cblock
03-07-2010, 06:56 PM
well I have done some searching and read the one thread about kelowna area turkey hunting, however that was from 2005.

Im new to hunting and I am seeking a little advice or direction where to look for turkeys.
I have read they are elusive birds, however I am up for the challenge.
I have heard the rock creek area is a good spot to look, however a little help from some of you pros would be great full.

Thanks

huntwriter
03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Lots of information on this website for a novice turkey hunter. There is also going to be a turkey hunting seminar in Keremeos on March 28. Here (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47527) you find more information about the event.

MikeH
03-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I'd love to attend to learn more about those birds really want to hunt them but Keremeos is a little far.:icon_frow

300H&H
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
First...welcome to HBC
Second...we have a simple "rule". Your first post should be a "joke". So get on it.

Now to answer your question. Ive heard of some turkeys around here. More near Beaver/Dee Lake chain. Carefull there is privet land. You WILL find them there. So get good at callling and bring them to you. Good luck.

300H&H
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Go to Grouse River Outfitters and buy the DVD Primos Mastering The Art (turkey calling). I learned alot. And you get a free mouth call.

huntwriter
03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
A mouth call is the last thing a novice hunter should use. It can take many months to learn how to use them properly. In fact I know of hunters that use diaphragm calls for years and still scare more birds with it then they call in.

Spend the money and purchase a wooden box call and a glass or slate call. These calls are standard equipment of every turkey hunter and are easy to learn. Once tuned properly these calls make a natural turkey sound that are hard to beat. There is a good reason why professional turkey hunters carry these calls as standard in their turkey vest.

Anybody coming to the seminar in Keremeos, bring your turkey calls along and I will help you to tune them and teach you the four basic calls you need to know.

Gateholio
03-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I spotted some turkeys today, I'm going to see if I can bag one tomorrow. I'll post pics.:wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
on the subject of OK turkeys ....
whats the hunting like around Oliver ...

My inlaws own a house there and will retire there in a few years ...turkey hunting is a great way to spend some time with family ...:)

bogman
03-08-2010, 10:29 AM
on the subject of OK turkeys ....
whats the hunting like around Oliver ...

My inlaws own a house there and will retire there in a few years ...turkey hunting is a great way to spend some time with family ...:)

There is NO HUNTING around Oliver:wink: No Whitetail, No mulies, No moose, no elk ,no ducks or geese, no pheasants or quail but especially no turkeys. All there is here is grapes and wine drinkers

Bowzone_Mikey
03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
There is NO HUNTING around Oliver:wink: No Whitetail, No mulies, No moose, no elk ,no ducks or geese, no pheasants or quail but especially no turkeys. All there is here is grapes and wine drinkers
Ok then thanks for that ... I'll tell my dad who grew up there that all animals wents away and theres none left ...

My Dad as a kid worked at the old Fairview GC ... His father Irrigated most of that valley ... I spent most of my Formitive summers there ... My Grandparents place was on Crook st. .. I think its 73rd now, either way at the end of the block was the outdoor pool.... My Inlaws bought a place up on the hill in the new section

cblock
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
wow guys, thanks so much.
I do have a box call so ill start reading and learning the basics.

Great help guys

Phreddy
03-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Ha-ha-ha-ha. Yeah right.

overunder
03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
cblock if you want a good chance at turkey,best place is head to the creston area, more birds and better odds. been hunting ok for a few years now and find alot of pressure on a spotty population compared to the kootenay population. good luck they are alot of fun to hunt remember not to move much and cover your face.