PDA

View Full Version : good scope or not a good scope???

3kills
03-18-2004, 04:05 PM
was looking today at a tasco 3-9x40mm world class scope..was just wondering if anyone has used one like it and if its good or not want to mount it on my 303...what do ya think??? thanx for replies...

StoneChaser
03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I'll probably get attacked for this one, but I have yet to see a Tasco scope that was worthy of being put on any rifle - PERIOD!!!!! For the price of a Tasco World Class, you could do MUCH better. The only scopes I personally use now are Leupolds, simply because they have never let me down. However, there are some other scopes that are worthy of mention, and quite affordable (Burris, B+L...). My longwinded point here is, that essentially you get what you pay for. This can be avoided by the budget minded individual by picking up used optics of higher quality for the same price or less than a new Tasco. I hunt too hard to be let down by inferior optics, a clear reliable scope that holds zero and withstands bumps and bruises will be your most valuable tool after scaling a mtn for 10 days or hunting that trophy buck all season when the moment of truth arrives. Just my 2 cents

StoneChaser

3kills
03-18-2004, 05:52 PM
thanx stonechaser thats what i m lookin for is peoples 2 cents....i m sure i wont make my final descion from one person opinion but if i get lots of people that say roughly the same thing then ya i will steer clear of it all togther....thanx again....any more advie from others out there????

QnsCowboy
03-18-2004, 06:02 PM
I had a Tasco for one season...that was too long!!!!

Thunderstix
03-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I had a Tasco for one season...that was too long!!!!
Ditto!

todbartell
03-18-2004, 10:15 PM
I've never been a Tasco fan, seems to me Bushnell makes a higher quality riflescope for the same price. Isn't Tasco out of business now anyways?? :? I thought I read that somewhere. :?:

3kills
03-18-2004, 10:23 PM
i myself is more of a bushnell fan too...but for what the cost of this scope was and what i was going to use it for..it doesnt seem like a bad buy...i have heard they are out of bussiness

Rackmaster
03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I had a Tasco on my 308 after two boxes trying to sight it in I took it off put a bushnell scope on the 308 sighted it in with six rounds using the T on the tasco as the target at 100 yards.IMO Tascos are junk! Although good targets to shoot at.:mrgreen:

bone-collector
03-19-2004, 09:43 AM
i dunno , bullcoon uses them tasco varmints on everything from a 7mm to a 338-378WBY znd they seem to hold up , I am not a tasco fan eother but hey I have seen them work and I would rather buy 4 tascos than 1 overpriced leupold or zeiss anyday $1000 for a scope is obsurd for a gunting rifle ..if you were a copatition shooter every weekend then yes spend the mocey on awsome optics , but a plain jane hunting rifle that you shoot maybe a box of ammo a year out of .. $200 scope is plenty IMHO ,
and no Mark there still in buisness I beleive , I will have a added response in a month to this post as I am putting a 10-40x50 tasco sniper scope on my 300WBY BR rifle , couple older guys have them and swear by them on a heavy target rifle (this is if SIR has any like they list) if not a 6-24x42 varmint the same as bullcoons will do and if it breaks so what there lifetime warrenty , send it away and then put it on the kids .22 :lol:

as for a great cheap hunting scope I have found that lasts longer than any other cheap scope ..bushnell banner dawn till dusk 3-9x50 , 6 years on a 338win mag now and still shoots dead on, and has nuff MOA to set it up for 1000 yard shoot without shims (and lifetime warrenty)

coaster
03-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I have two Tasco's, one on a 300WM, the other on a 338WM. Neither one has ever given me any trouble in the last 7 years. I had a Tasco that was on my 30.06 that fell off my quad and I ran over it, it was bent all to hell but I could still see through it. Just mt 2 c..

bochunk2000
03-19-2004, 10:04 AM
I did a bunch of checking around last year when I needed a new scope. I was looking at that oval tasco. I was told that on any thing with even a little kick they fail to hold center. I ended up buying a bairly used Bausch&laumb (sp?) for less. Bushnell bought them out a couple of years ago and the optics are great. ther is MY 2 cents.. :)

bone-collector
03-19-2004, 10:08 AM
I think your right Coaster , they have gotten a nasty reputation over the years because of hi-end scopes , some folks think if it costs $1000 it has to be 1000 times better than a $100 , in some cases true but 1 of the most sought after scopes of BR shooters states side is the tasco sniper (the original) , Ill try one on the BR if it hold up it hold up and if not like I said , get it fixed and put it on a .22 :P

StoneChaser
03-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Tell ya what 3Kills, I have a 3x9x40 3000 Matte Baush + Lomb sitting in the corner gathering dust. It is in very nice condition, a few small scrtiches on body tube from use, but optically excellent. It holds zero and tracks very well. It was on a 270 of my brother's since he bought it new. I will let you have it for $200 + shipping, less than the price of a new Tasco, and 10x the scope.

StoneChaser

bone-collector
03-19-2004, 11:19 AM
now theres a good deal 3kills :P

StoneChaser
03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
"I would rather buy 4 tascos than 1 overpriced leupold or zeiss anyday"

Great, tell ya what bones. Since we live close to each other I'll make you a deal. I'll let you in on all the used Tascos I find, in return you can hook me up with all the Leupolds you stumble across. :D Being virtual neighbours and all, thats the least I could do :D

StoneChaser

bone-collector
03-19-2004, 11:29 AM
if I knew of any leupolds I would tell you, the only ones I see here are very few BR shooters at the club and the odd hunting rifle, most buy bushnell/elite 3200/elite 4200 scopes. but if I see any for sale i will let you know

3kills
03-19-2004, 11:40 AM
thanx for all the great comments and advice on the tasco scopes...and thanx for the great offer for the scope stone chaser...seems like alot of differnet opions on tasco scopes...even guys i asked around here have diffferent opinions...i think i m just going to go with the tasco and if it doesnt hold up then i will get it fixed like bones said and mount it on my .22...but thanx again guys for the comments and advice...

KEVIND
06-07-2004, 12:46 PM
I've owned bushnell for a while and i just got a zeiss conquest 3.5x12 and love it. way clear than my old bushnell and my dads leopold. If you look for the zeiss you can get great deals. i just bought a 3x9 for my 7mm and it was under 600 which is a heck of a deal.

rrfred
06-08-2004, 10:31 PM
hi 3kills, if i had the extra bucks would do leupold vx 2 or vx3 but too much for the working stiff who has a few hipower toys to work, I use the bushnell / bausch 3000-3200 series mostly - really good performanceand fair pricing with reasonable optics and excellent service from the factory over the past twenty or so years. rainguard does work great too, later rrfred :wink:

3kills
06-09-2004, 03:33 AM
hey rrfred...the scope is just going on my old british 303 so i wasnt to worried about what make thats why i was thinkin the cheap tasco...wich i did purchase...i havent mounted it yet but i will be after bear season and i will let u all know what i think about it after i fire a box or two off with it mounted.... :)

REDGREEN
11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
I had a Tasco world class that I mounted on my 300 magnum, and it performed admirably. Even when I fell off of a tree and broke a few bones, it didn't change point of impact. Sold it a long time ago. I even tried it on the 375 H&H and it withstood the recoil just fine. I now am using leupold and bausch and lomb and like em just fine.It is true,though, you get what you pay for in the glass department.