PDA

View Full Version : First hunting rifle - suggestions

reach
03-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi all,

I just challenged the CORE test at the Tradex show this weekend, so I hope to be out in the woods this fall. I was hoping to pick your collective brains about a starter rifle for deer.

Would an older used gun such as the '64 Winchester Model 70 30-06 for sale by 240gord http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3416 be suitable as a starter gun for a beginner? It has a fixed 4x scope, right? Should I be concerned about getting a variable scope? 240gord, feel free to brag up this gun if you like. :) Is $500 a good price? (That's what you have posted over on another forum.)

Or would I be better off looking for a lever 30-30 and staying on the Coast? Or buy a low-end new rifle like the Stevens 200? With something like a Bushnell 3200 it would be in the same ballpark price-wise.

Too many options for a newbie...

000buck
03-07-2006, 11:36 PM
like buying anything on line you have not seen it. the model 70 is "the riflemans rifle"(quote taken from a model review of peterson's hunting) and i personally own a model 70 270 win, a beautiful firearm. Check with people who know gord (no slight intended to gord) but satisfy yourself that its the deal you want to make. 500 is a good price for a mod. 70 in good shape. 30 06 is fine cartridge for almost all big game so there's no problem there. scopes are easy to get later 4x mag is ok on the coast unless you plan on shooting sheep.

sounds like the right tool to me but make sure its the right tool for you.

willhunt
03-07-2006, 11:36 PM
the handi rifle is a good start they are inexpensive and shoot very well. they come with a weaver style scope rail and are under $230 U.S. and many calibers are available.

todbartell
03-08-2006, 12:36 AM
you're gonna get a ton of opinions on this

I would get a good all around cartridge first, with a variable scope. something that can handle deer, bear, and moose out to 250 yards

for a lower cost rifle, take a look at the stainless Remington Model 700 SPS.
http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/centerfire/lgsil_700spss.jpg
Cartridges it comes chambered in that would be suitable for moose include : 270 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win, & 30-06. No need for magnums here. Price in WholeSale Sports or Russell Sports is $599 canadian

Go with a good scope right away, even if it means saving longer to get it. My preference strongly runs towards the Leupold VXII, but for $200 less, a guy can get a real decent scope in the Bushnell Elite 3200. 3-9x40mm would be the best choice. Just as important is good scope mounts, and I prefer Leupold mounts, but Burris makes an equally good set.

A total package, shipping and taxes in (ordered from Alberta) would be $1000.

You really cant go wrong with that setup for years and years of good use in my opinion.

whatever you choose, good luck and shoot straight :lol:

Mr. Dean
03-08-2006, 01:35 AM
The 30-06 is a FINE all around cartrige. The Mod 70 is a FINE rifle. 500 bucks w/ scope, rings and bases IS a FINE price - IF in decent shape.

The scope will work OK. But I'd be saving up for an Elite 3200 variable - Under 300 bucks new, taxes included, if you shop around.

Nothing wrong with second hand guns as long as they have been taken care of.

Look at it this way - For $800.00 you can own a decent quality firearm, capable of taking most any, if not all N. American Game. For much less than a buget banger that is new in the box.

However, I don't know anything about this seller or the firearm in question.

Good luck!

ringo
03-08-2006, 08:42 AM
The 30.06 does it all in North America, mine has taken many deer and some moose. A 4x scope is a good compromise on a 30.06, one of mine is scoped 4x and another with a 6x. They are very accurate, recoil is modest when compared to a magnum, ammo is readily available, resale is good. The Winchester Model 70 is a tight, quality built rifle that should give several lifetimes of service. Please don't buy a 30-30 lever action (old dated cartridge that does not have the performance or ballistics of the 30.06). You can purchase the rifle and then upgrade the scope as funds come available. Good luck on your purchase

Chris8
03-08-2006, 11:47 AM
This is similar to what I did, bought a used rifle with a 4x scope on it (redfield also, go figure) for use last year, and I plan to upgrade it in time for this year's hunting. I ended up with a very nice rifle while staying within my budget, and the 4x scope certainly got the job done.

As far as 30-06 goes, I like the caliber. Got my first couple of deer with one of those.

sub urban bow hunter
03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
i saw that gun at the duncan show, i think, its nice, good shape, worth it at $550
also variable scopes are fun for a while, then you realize that its always at about 4x.
30-06 is very good and relatively inexpensive cartridge.

240gord
03-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi,it was at the Duncan gun show,it is a nice gun,shoots good,a 30-06 is a good all a round gun,I think it would make a good starter gun as you can hunt anything with it,play with it for awhile then up grade the scope(you can sell it with out problem).my sons first gun was a 30-06 now I can not get it back:lol:
Gord.
________
Honda CB350F history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CB350F)

reach
03-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have an uncle in Chemainus so I might get him to stop by and take a look. Gord, I'll contact you for a phone number.

Or, since I'm in no rush, maybe I'll head up to the Kamloops gun show in a couple of weeks and try a few on for size. Then again, I was complaining about too many options before... I don't think that would help in that department. :wink:

Tarp Man
03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Well, I was in your shoes last July, having hardly shot anything bigger than a .22 and even that was only occasionaly. I bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in 30.06 and topped it off with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 and have not regretted my choice on either. I have also put over 200 rounds of factory ammo through it in a bit less than 8 months and I am glad I chose the 30.06 'cause factory ammo is cheap ($20 = 20 rounds) with a decent starter selection at Wal Mart and Canadian Tire and dies and such are readily available for reloading later on. Having not really shot much before, recoil is very manageable for me (6', 180lbs) even with the lighter weight of the T3. It is also enough gun to hold its own in the ballistics arena when compared with non-magnums. And if you want to shoot premium ammo, again it is cheaper than most. Any corner store north of Prince George will likely have a box or two. If you have the option, see if you can hook up with someone with a similar rifle and handle it. Or visit 240Gord and see it in person. Also try and shoot it (30.06). Then you will have a better idea if it is right for you.
-Tarp Man

000buck
03-08-2006, 07:36 PM
had a pm with gord today and he's seems a genuine guy, sounds to me like it's a good deal,one you certainly won't regret anyway. Trust the posts and get your uncle to see gord it's the way to go.....

remember everyone likes to shoot the gun they have or the big buck job they really want buy. my model 70 is my favorite (I wash it and clean and pet it alot) but my bush gun is a ruger 243 win m77 mkII stainless i only use my model 70 on special occasions it is a great gun

Duner
03-08-2006, 07:52 PM
my model 70 is my favorite (I wash it and clean and pet it alot)

And I thought I was the only weird one....LOL!!!

Reach,
You are on the right path, the 30-06 is perfect for all the game in BC out to 250 yrds. As for the rifle, try and get the feel for as many rifle in your price range and buy the one that feels the best. If your budget allow I would put a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 on top of it and you will have a rifle that you can shoot without thinking about the recoil.

Good Luck

reach
03-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought the .30-06 from 240gord (thanks Gord). Now all I need is for my membership card to arrive from Ridgedale so I can go try it out... *taps fingers*

Thanks for all your input everyone. I will continue to lurk & learn. Then some day I may have some actual knowledge to post. :grin:

Bison
03-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Depends on what the first thing you are going to hunt is. A gopher? Well a .22 is just fine. A Moose well maybe that .22 isn't such a great idea. Figure out what you are likely going after first. Can't go wrong with a 30.06 though, pretty tough on gophers, check out what is beyond them.

Steeleco
03-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Reach, once your cleared at Ridgedale, drop me a PM we'll see if we can hook up at the range and I'll give you some pointers. Now that's it's not monsooning so much I'll be taking #1 Son to get him trained up ready for grouse in Sept. I'd be glad to give you a hand!!!

moose hunter
03-19-2006, 01:46 PM
my 30-06 mod 70 is good it hasnt let me down yet 2 deer with it but my 7mm is on the way and i think i will be using that for a while, i have a weaver x4 scope

kishman
03-19-2006, 02:46 PM

I would get a good all around cartridge first, with a variable scope. something that can handle deer, bear, and moose out to 250 yards

Cartridges it comes chambered in that would be suitable for moose include : 270 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win, & 30-06. No need for magnums here. Price in WholeSale Sports or Russell Sports is $599 canadian

Go with a good scope right away, even if it means saving longer to get it. My preference strongly runs towards the Leupold VXII, but for $200 less, a guy can get a real decent scope in the Bushnell Elite 3200. 3-9x40mm would be the best choice. Just as important is good scope mounts, and I prefer Leupold mounts, but Burris makes an equally good set.

You really cant go wrong with that setup for years and years of good use in my opinion.

The model 700 sps, and the mod.700 xcr are also available in .270 wsm and .300 wsm, both excellent allround calibers for our game in bc.

KMH
03-30-2006, 12:36 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but my rifle must be my most prized possession, I recommend a 30-06 Tikka T3 Lite... It shoots great, light weight, tough enough for bc, extremely versatile and I think you can get one new from $650-780 :confused: in synthetic/blued... Call up the gun dealers in B.C and ask them to tell you what they have in stock in your price range
:-D
BC gun dealers...
http://www.firearmscanada.com/gun_dealers.html

Mr. Dean
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought the .30-06 from 240gord (thanks Gord). Now all I need is for my membership card to arrive from Ridgedale so I can go try it out... *taps fingers*

Thanks for all your input everyone. I will continue to lurk & learn. Then some day I may have some actual knowledge to post. :grin:

Standing Ovation!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you'll be pleased. Now get out there and SHOOT.

Here's some pointers for ya;

- Give her a name.
- Give her a nickname.
- Treat her with the utmost care and respect.
- Don't forget to buy her a present every once in a while (maybe a quality new sling for starters?)
- And by all means, when she starts to talk....LISTEN.

This is VERY important stuff. It IS a relationship after all.....

Enjoy!
Dean.

reach
03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
- Don't forget to buy her a present every once in a while (maybe a quality new sling for starters?)Got that one covered... Butler Creek Comfort Stretch sling (http://www.cabelas.com/products/0022104223835a.jsp). I was thinking maybe a Bore Snake would be next. Or a bench rest.

This is VERY important stuff. It IS a relationship after all.....I don't usually have "relationships" with my tools, but you never know. Once I finally get out there and start shooting, who knows what may happen.

If I get tired of waiting for the card from Ridgedale... are there any appropriate old gravel pits or other likely spots near the Lower Mainland where a person could legally go and shoot some targets?

Mr. Dean
03-30-2006, 06:01 PM
If I get tired of waiting for the card from Ridgedale... are there any appropriate old gravel pits or other likely spots near the Lower Mainland where a person could legally go and shoot some targets?

YUP.
Where abouts are ya?

Foxer
03-30-2006, 06:55 PM

One of these days, we've really got to make a map or something of some of the better ones in the lower mainland. We get asked so often :)

reach
03-30-2006, 08:52 PM
If it is a FAQ, it might be useful to have in a sticky somewhere... unless these spots are like "secret lakes" or favourite hunting areas that shouldn't be spoken of in public?

I've updated my profile to include my location - near the 200th St. exit off Highway 1.

Thanks

kishman
03-30-2006, 08:58 PM

The SPS is available in .270 and .300 WSM as of '06 I think, the Winchester Short Magnums are excellent calibers, for deer you couldn't do better than the .270 WSM.

Foxer
03-30-2006, 11:02 PM
've updated my profile to include my location - near the 200th St. exit off Highway 1.

er... isn't that langley? Tell me you haven't been gunning up the rickys or something? :)

Mr. Dean
03-31-2006, 01:25 AM
Howdy neighbour!

Don't know how far you want to travel. If you want to make a day out of it you could go up to the Carolynn (sp) mines exit, work your way over the river and as soon as you are clear of the highway no shoot zone, poke around a bit.

I found a nice spot for shots out too 400 yrds. Who knows, you may even see a bear?

If you want/need more details than this lemme know. - Dean.

reach
04-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Well, my membership card arrived and I finally got around to going up to the range today. To say I am pleased with the Model 70 would be an understatement.

As a complete rookie (the only other time I fired a high powered rifle about 8 years ago, I got ringed pretty badly), I'm very happy with these results.

http://www.junkpile.net/shooting/targets_2006-04-09.jpg

Each of these two groups is about 1.5" at 100 yards. This was factory ammo, shooting with a warm gun after about 20 rounds. Considering I have very little idea of proper shooting technique and was only using a bean bag front rest I would have to say the gun is awesome.

Thanks Gord and all who pointed me in the right direction.

Foxer
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey reach, for someone who's not an experienced shooter - those are EXCELLENT results. You might not be minute of angle yet, but you're sure as heck minute of deer :)