PDA

View Full Version : my first compound bow

bsa30-06
03-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Well i made the leap into the bowhunting/archery world today.I bought my first compound bow today, but i'm almost afraid to tell you guys what i bought.My first compound is a browning rage ($380.00 bare bow) it is left hand and 60-70 lb pull.It has a cobra 3 pin sight,stabilizer,strap,and a whisker biscuit rest (here it comes go ahead make fun of my rest) , and a dozen aluminum easton arrows with field points for now.I'm not sure what kind of broadheads i will use yet, and i bought a used hard case for it and a cheap four arrow quiver for now.I'm also using a T.R.U ball release.O.k guys fire away let me know what you think , give me your opinions, but remember I,m a beginner be gentle.

Kirby
03-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Well, guess I'll leave the bashing to somebody else, and say nice set up.:p Now remeber to keep on shooting, practice makes perfect. As for the rest, personally never shot it, but heard great things about it as a hunting rest. The site, I also shoot Cobra sights and love mine, no compaints on that. As for the bow should work well. I haven't owned a browning for awhile, but I loved my old one.

So whats your plans with it? I highly recomend spring bear season!:-D

Anyways, congrats on the new toy, and enjoy, its a big learning curve, I'd recomend hitting up a club and shooting there, learn more with a couple of good shooters in a night than you will in a year alone.

Kirby

bsa30-06
03-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Kirby, spring bear will be a little to early for me i want to get alot more practice in before i take it out, but you can bet i will be spending alot of time at the range practicing i really enjoy shooting this bow.I have also joined the burnaby archers and will definitly be watching and listening to what other members have to say.

PGKris
03-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Well get rid of the whisker bisquit I don't know anyone who has ever shot well with them. They are terrible for hunting. I hate them. Myself, I wouldn't pull over 60 pounds because it's overkill. That's just me. Other than that sounds like a good bow. Browning have always made solid bows. Get lots of practice.
KRIS

bsa30-06
03-04-2006, 08:58 PM
The browning rage bows say that bow is 60-70lb. but they are easily adjusted lower as mine is . These bows have a wide range of adjustment when it comes to draw wieght

PGKris, what are you using as a rest?

PGKris
03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
NAP Quiktune 3000

sealevel
03-04-2006, 09:13 PM
good choice bsa 30-06 pgkris have you ever actually used a WB rest they are a very good maybe the best hunting rest on the market for several reasons.

Hunter4life
03-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Good choice, my first and only bow is a browning rage and it has done everything i wanted it to except for getting me close enough to a buck for a shot because its obviously the bows fault.

willyqbc
03-04-2006, 10:34 PM
BSA 30-06 Browning has a very good reputation for building a solid bow, not a lot of bells and whistles but solid functional shooters for sure...good choice for a first bow on a budget. Aluminums are often not the best choice for a beginner as .....well....stuff happens while you are learning that can result in a lot of bent arrows, my choice would have been some good solid utility grade gold tips. As to the cobra sight...good choice, rock solid. As to the whisker biscuit....some folks really like them. I spend my life ensuring my arrow gets off the bow as cleanly as humanly possible with no contact anywhere... therefore not my personal preference. All in all your set-up will serve you well if you put in the time and effort it requires!

Good luck!
Chris

P.S. good answer about not being ready for spring bear....you've got the right mindset for archery!

Gus
03-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey kris, I know a few guys that hunt with the wisker biscuit and like it because the arrow cant fall out of the rest, and i'd guess you wouldn't like much over 60 pounds, you wouldnt be able to pull it :wink::smile::biggrin:

Fred
03-05-2006, 01:26 AM
I use a Wisker Biscuit and don't seem to have a problem grouping! I also use Aluminum arrows and for hunting broadheads I have the Muzzy 3 blades. I whoopsed with my practice Muzzy and slammed it through a 1x4. No damage to the point or the already dull blades. I don't think any of the mechanicals could stand that abuse. Fred

oldtimer
03-05-2006, 10:36 AM
BSA 30-06 Welcome to the club. Lots and lots of practise. I don't know enough about your bow to comment on it. Cobra sight box is very very dependable. I have had one since I started shooting. Not fancy just solid. I hit too many trees and stuff doing 3D to shoot aluminums, ( they bend too easy ) I like my carbons.
Whisker biscuit is not what I would choose due to reasons stated by Willy but a lot of people use and like them so probably just a matter of your choice.
If you get enough practise you should be ready for spring bear. whoo hoo. again welcome Mike

Kirby
03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Well get rid of the whisker bisquit I don't know anyone who has ever shot well with them. They are terrible for hunting. I hate them. Myself, I wouldn't pull over 60 pounds because it's overkill. That's just me. Other than that sounds like a good bow. Browning have always made solid bows. Get lots of practice.
KRIS

Have you used a WB? Where I shoot there are 6 or 7 guys who used them on their hunting bows, they all love them. I've set up several for people and so far haven't had any complaints. As for being terrible for hunting, how so?

As to not pulling over 60# thats personal preference but there is no reason not to shoot 65-70 if your comfortable with it.

Kirby

oldtimer
03-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Well Said Kirby !!!!!!

Bow Walker
03-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Great setup for "entry level" archery and hunting. I agree (seems almost all the time and I have never met him) with willyqbc - in that you should seriously consider changing your aluminium arrows for come Gold Tips. Given that you are shooting above 60 lbs I would suggest the 7595's. If you can (check the chart) the 5575's are a good choice as well.

You will not regret the money invested. Check the web for the best prices. Try www.mountainarchery.com (http://www.mountainarchery.com) .....even though they are American (out of Montana) they have some very attractive prices. Often cheaper than getting them from home here. Even with the exchange and the shipping.

Good luck and practise hard!

huntwriter
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Well i made the leap into the bowhunting/archery world today.I bought my first compound bow today, but i'm almost afraid to tell you guys what i bought.My first compound is a browning rage ($380.00 bare bow) it is left hand and 60-70 lb pull.It has a cobra 3 pin sight,stabilizer,strap,and a whisker biscuit rest (here it comes go ahead make fun of my rest) , and a dozen aluminum easton arrows with field points for now.I'm not sure what kind of broadheads i will use yet, and i bought a used hard case for it and a cheap four arrow quiver for now.I'm also using a T.R.U ball release.O.k guys fire away let me know what you think , give me your opinions, but remember I,m a beginner be gentle.
Welcome in the bowhunter camp bsa30-06. Nothing to be made fun off here. I still shoot my 30" Buckmaster bow and aluminum shafts with Magnus broadheads. Never used a stabilizer and never saw any need for one. Until two month ago I used one old steel pin set at 15 yards and never would have changed it if True-Glo would not have let me have the sight after a field testing it for them. I still get as much out of this setup as others with the best of everything. My bow hand arrows have served me very well in getting game.

My advice to you is this: Don't get carried away with gadgets. It's you that makes the shot and not the bow, arrows and other gadgets. A lot of equipment and changes will only set you up for worries and upsets. Keep it simple, specially at the beginning, and practise a lot. In the practise it does not matter how many arrows you can sling at the target in the shortest time. What matters is quality over the quantity. It's better to shoot just one good arrow per session than 10 bad ones. At the beginning keep the practise short, maybe 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Shoot less time but more often during the day. Shoot every arrow like it would be the only one you have. To avoid "target panic" let the string down at times without making the shoot. This will ingrain in your brain that you do not have to shoot every time you pull the string back. More archers suffer from target panic than rifle shooters.

I wish you the best of luck and onse again welcome in the archery camp, you just added another tool in you bag of tricks to prolong your hunting season.

Canuck2
03-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Lots of great advice here, bsa30-06. And welcome to the world of archery.

The outfit you got will serve you just fine and it's excellent that you have joined the Burnaby club. Get all the critiquing that you can (there will be lots of volunteers); the initial learning curve will be steep but rewarding.

Be sure you are set up with the correct draw length, have some of the experienced members observe and guide you in your form, don't release an arrow unless you are holding steady on the target as opposed to wobbling past it, etc etc.

I have used about all the common types of arrow rests known to man and there are advantages and disadvantages to all. I never got groups as tight with a Whisker Biscuit as with a drop-away, although they were plenty good enough for hunting conditions. Like willyqbc, I don't want anything whatsoever touching my fletching as it leaves the bow. But the WB is great for keeping an arrow from flopping around, often important in hunting situations.

I heartily recommend attending some 3D events. Don't worry about being way behind the rest of the pack; we all started out that way. It's just a real fun way to go in archery and you will improve quickly. Just have one or two extra arrows.;)

And good for you for not considering hunting until you're proficient.

bsa30-06
03-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanxs for all the advice ,comments, and help guys, maybe one day we will be shooting together at a 3D somewhere.

huntwriter
03-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanxs for all the advice ,comments, and help guys, maybe one day we will be shooting together at a 3D somewhere.

I very much hope so. Or share a hunting camp.:-D

QnsCowboy
03-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Hey BSA, it has all been said here already, but having changed over to carbons from aluminum 2 years ago, it really can save you money and makes a marked improvement in your shooting quality...imo....As well, I am a proud Browning owner...I like the advice about not getting hung up on gadgets, as it really comes down to who is holding the bow...I have hunted with a lot of people with way more expensive set ups than me, and at the end of the day I have put more meat in the freezer than they have...:) One thing, remember, follow through, follow through all the time!!

Best of luck and enjoy yourself...

Craig

Walksalot
03-08-2006, 07:41 AM
BSA 30-06, welcome to the world or archery. You will get allot of advice from allot of people including me and remember, all is volunteered with the best of intentions:grin: . It won't be long before you run the gauntlet of the next piece of equipment to add to your bow and it won't be long before you too will be offering advice because you too will have been there, done that.:grin:
Seek out the instruction of a certified instructor as it makes things much easier once one has been shown the basics of correct form. Also, 3D shoots are excellent practice for hunting scenarios.

bsa30-06
03-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey guys, i just thought of another question. What do you guys do if you have been using your bow in the rain? Are there any special percautions you take or do you just dry it off and put it away.Thanxs again for your help.Oh and i will look into getting some carbon arroows as you guys suggested.

Fred
03-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't take my old Mathews out into the rain to practice. Also even though I have been farting around with archery for a while now I still learned another lesson the last time I was out. It was in Penticton and I was with a gentleman from Vernon. Don was using carbon arrows and on his first shot(and hit) his arrow got stuck pretty tight in the 3D target. I didn't know that he friction of the passage of the carbon into the foam of the 3D would fuse the 2 materials together. My lesson was, "if you are doing 3D with carbons,bring soap for the arrows and use it liberally". Fred

PGKris
03-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Well I danged forgot I posted here.
Yes, I've used a WB and hated it. My arrows were slow and would not group. Those stinking things slow your speed down by about 50 fps and they absolutely played hell with my fletches. The ONLY good thing about them is they keep the arrow on the rest with no noise. I've got my Quiktune 3000 set up so that my 2315's sit snug in betweek the fork and the riser.
As for pulling 60 pounds, like I said, personal preference. If you're comfortable with 60# then shoot 60# but I've seen guys twice my size that were pulling 65# and saying it was a piece of cake. But they were sky-drawing and shaking so bad you thought they were gonna collapse. No need to be a tough guy. 50-55# is enough for anyone. I never understood the heroes who thought they had to pull 70 pounds to prove they were tough.
The number one piece of advice anyone can give you is practice. And buy a range finder.
KRIS

huntwriter
03-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Never used a WB arrow rest. Never felt any need for it either. I use a simple prong rest and it never has let me down. I heard as much good about WB rests as I heard bad news.
As for the draw weight of the bow, pull a weight that you can hold back comfortably for 20 seconds without getting the cramp or start shaking. I know many lady hunters shooting with bows set at 45 to 50 pounds and do just fine, as in killing animals. My bow is set at 65 pounds and I never changed that either.

Try diffrernt things and then stick with what works best for you and not with what works for someone else. Neither give in to "macho" pressure. Hang around a lot of archers and if you think it helps make a bow hunter education course, but it's not a requirement to become a better archer or hunter.

There is nothing magic about shooting a bow or even special about it. All that is needed is dedication to do it and a lot of common sense.

sealevel
03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
I use a trophy taker and a WB the differance in speed using the two rests was with a 350 grain arrow less than 4 fps and a 500 grain was 5 fps less than using the trophy taker.They are a little hard on fletching yes they are but the trade off is worth it to have a quit containment rest. If you want groups using a WB get stiffer spined arrows.

huntwriter
03-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Sealevel - You got me smiling. :) If I understand that right, the WB gives you 5fps more speed than a trophy taker prong arrow rest.
But the WB is hard on the fletching, which means you have to replace it a lot. Then in order to get the arrows to group better you have to buy stiffer spined arrows.

If I do a little math then that translates all to quit a bit of money spending and all to gain 5fps more, which in my opinion do not matter one way or another. The trajectory gained from 5fps more is negligable and has no influense on getting better penetration and/or accuracy either. It really does not matter one way or another. But the money I would have to spend to achive this small gain of speed does, at least to me, and I find no justification in it.

sealevel
03-08-2006, 08:02 PM
huntwriter the WB is 4 and 5 fps less slower than the TT i use both the bow i shoot lots and 3d with has the TT my hunting bow has the WB and no i am not trying to gain FPS . I was just ansering the 50 FPS loss witch must be a bow made from a willow stick.

bsa30-06
03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Sealevel, i would think your 4-5fps is alot closer than the 50fps. I was told it would be around 3fps so i think your right at 4-5 fps.

huntwriter
03-09-2006, 07:49 AM
huntwriter the WB is 4 and 5 fps less slower than the TT i use both the bow i shoot lots and 3d with has the TT my hunting bow has the WB and no i am not trying to gain FPS . I was just ansering the 50 FPS loss witch must be a bow made from a willow stick.
Sorry, I must have misunderstood your posting then. I got the impression you meant the WB rest, but I still would not use it just because what you said about the damage it does to the fletching. That is what I heard from other hunters too, plus that it can be very noisy.

Fred
03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I use Vanes not feathers and have found no damage that was not done by clashing arrows on the target. If these things are set up right they wil shoot and group but if they are not set up right they will drive you nuts. I didn't change arrows when I went with the WB either and found it still grouped the same. But then my eyes aren't too good and it may be that I am just shooting as good as the equiptment and my eyes will allow! :shock: Fred