PDA

View Full Version : PSE Deer Hunter Compound Bow

cowboy-up69
02-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Im thinkin about purchasing a PSE Deer Hunter compound bow, jus wanted to know if anyone ever had one and what their thoughts of it were. Im goin to get it in the next 2 weeks, any info would be helpful. I got about $500 to spend on a decent starter bow, loaded with everything. Dont wanna buy used, even though it would be the best idea but I want a new one. Well any info would help
Thanks
Cliff

willyqbc
02-28-2006, 09:05 AM
well PSE has a history of limb problems....they do warranty them no problem but there is the hassle involved. That being said i have been hearing that they MAY have finally done something about the cracking limbs that have plagued them for years. Without trying to sound elitist I will say that for the most part you do get what you pay for in the archery world and for that kind of money for a completely set-up bow you will probably find it to be "adequate" to start you out, but as you progress and learn what you like/don't like I fear you will become dis-satisfied fairly quickly.

As always...just my opinion
Chris

cowboy-up69
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Ya, I hear what your sayin. I've also heard they are not fast at all, around the 200 FPS mark, some said a lil higher, some said a lil lower. And with the small weight pull, it wouldnt be a good idea for deer. I dont know yet, I gotta go to a course right now, but hwen I get back, Im gunna research some more bows that are in my price range, and get some opinions on them. Thanks willy.

Fred
02-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Cliff, check to see if Martin has some kind of a package deal this year. They had one last year that was very reasonable. Fred

cowboy-up69
02-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Ok then, I heard the Nova RF is a good bow to begin with...For $335.00 from National Archery Supply, is that a good or better deal then the Deer Hunter?...Any opinions on that?
PSE NOVA RF

Brace Height: 7-3/4"
I.B.O. Speed: 295 fps
Axle-to-axle: 35-1/2"
Weight: 3.7 lbs.
Let-off: 70% actual (75% effective)
Item #0402RF

That a good deal?

Kirby
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Cowboy, I owned a nova for a while, I found it to be a decent bow. My suggestions would be definatly look around. If you are interested in coming down to langley, let me know.

I would call a couple shops, give them a price, and ask their opinions on what to buy. Pro-shops are good, another good thing is other shooters, hit up the Penticton shoot, and check it out, look around, ask around. Everybody has their preferences, and their loyalties(me included ALPINES RULE!:mrgreen: ).

Also, about shops, make sure they know what they are doing. There are guys in buisness who have NO IDEA about gear.

Kirby

cowboy-up69
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Yes Kirby, that sounds like an idea, Im gunna call around and stuff. I'll give Specialty? A call before and see what they say, and then I'll figure out if I'll meet ya and head down there. When do you plan on going?
Cliff

Hunter4life
02-28-2006, 04:16 PM
I bought my first bow two years ago, a browning rage. its an awsome starter bow. it has HUGE draw length adjustment and the poundage can range from 45-55 or 55-65, depending on what model. also shoots around 290fps i think. i have had no problems with it. i got the complete package with arrows and release for around $450 from hubs sports in abbotsford. in my opinion you cant go wrong with it!!
My brother has a pse nova and it too is a nice bow but i would way rather have my browning then his pse. just my 2 cents

heres a link to the browning rage

http://www.browning-archery.com/products/2006/rage.htm

BowSitter
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
My first bow was a PSE Nova rimfire and it was a very good bow, really forgiving and really accurate. In fact even though I shoot a Hoyt now, I still have the PSE as a backup. (don't want to let it go). My 1/2 cents worth.

oldtimer
02-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Cowboy .. I doubt you will find a brand new bow in your range that will be your best choice. My first two bows were used and I liked them. I still hve my second one as my hunting bow and it is awesome. High country carbon force. But it was an $1100 bow new that I got for 600 and then had to outfit. My second bow is a Diamond Rapture which is a division of Bow-Tech and is better for me for indoor or for 3-D It is about a $500 bow without accessories and will shoot at 295 - 300 fps no problem at about 60#. My high Country is shooting at 286 fps I think. All depends on the arrows and you. Just my opinion but I would look at high end bows second hand. My 2 cents Mike

Nails
02-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Cowboy, there is some good advice here. Like the guys
are saying checkout other bows. The Nova has been a good bow, with a forgiving brace height, something to consider also. Don't get caught up on the speed of the bow if this is your first one. Hope this helps.

cowboy-up69
03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Well I decided Im goin to go with the Parker Buck Hunter. I have heard nothing but good said about them. Im ordering it hopefully on Friday. Thanks for all the info guys, really helped out alot!
Cant wait!

cliff

NightOwl74
03-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey Cowboy. I like what someone suggested about speed of your bow. My first bow purchase was a High Country Sniper, a gorgeous bow. But as a young inexperienced bow shooter, I was pulling too much weight and developed a "snap" shooting problem. Trust me, learn your form first. Then worry about the "highest" tech bow you can get. For me, because of the problems I developed early on, became discouraged and gave up the bow for 8 yrs. Now, I am shooting a Check-mate TD Hunter 2 recurve, and am very careful of my form and release. You shouldn't disregard a recurve as an option! They are very light and beautiful bows. But this is coming from a guy that likes to walk FAR when I am hunting. My Sniper was just too modern for me. I want to take my meat the way they did ...........you know the story. Just an opinion. Have fun!

rock
03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
I've shot a pse bow for years never had problems with it , I even still shoot 2216 for arrows which most guys wouldn't I'm happy with it.

cowboy-up69
03-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Ok guy, whats all of your guys' take on the '05 Hoyt Magnatech? I found one in my price range, jus wanna hear opinions on it firts befire I buy.
Thanks
Cliff

Kirby
03-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Never shot the Magnatech, but looks like a decent bow. Hoyt is a good company, with a great history. Hopefully somebody with some experience with the bow can jump in here.

Kirby

cowboy-up69
03-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Anyone at all got any info on this bow?? Well I heard one thing that the Magnatech's were discontinued in '03 so this is not an '05...Is it this true, anyone?

cowboy-up69
03-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Ok, sorry guys, I goofed up, its an '03 not an '05. But is it still a good bow?

Canuck2
03-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Magnatec's a fine bow and should serve you well if it fits. I know a guy who has one and he has good hunting success with it. Being discontinued should be no problem as you will be able to get parts for a long time to come. I shoot an 03 Razortec and they are also discontinued, but I anticipate I'll be using it for years.

PGKris
03-08-2006, 01:06 PM
PSE: Pull Shoot Explode :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry I had to!:lol: