PDA

View Full Version : which bow?

Geronimo
02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I am thinking that it would be really nice to start practice shooting a bow. I don't know if I eventually want to actually use the bow for hunting, or just for the enjoyment of archery. My question is that I have heard that bow shooting is a very personalized sport--i.e. a bow for one is not the bow for another,for ease and comfort in shooting. How would I find the right bow for me( there are so many different makes and models)? or is it just hit and miss with buying and selling?
Is there any books/websites I can gleen info from?
Thanks in advance

bandit_69
02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
i about a year ago bought a PSE stinger. its light weight affordable and easy to shoot. there is a shop in new west voortmans archery and they have a butt load of bows. you can spend large bucks on them and they set them up for you depending on draw length you choose your sights and wheather you want drop down rest or a whisker buscuit. there is no limit on price and assesories. there are some for sale on this site which would be a good start or just go for it. i went for it and took my first mule deer with it opening weekend last year in rock creek. once you start shooting it you are going to want to kill with it. there is no feeling like killing an animal with a stick and string. i just picked one and it was right the first time.

good luck pm if any more questions

Steve

Bow Walker
02-05-2010, 09:25 PM
That place in New West. is called Boorman's - and they do have a good selection.

The only way is to actually go in there and try a few, shoot them and compare how they feel to you.

It is a highly personal thing.

On the other hand, since you're just starting out, you can get used to almost anything as long as it is set up correctly for you.

Geronimo
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will be going into NW after the 22nd(Boorman's is closed 15-22 of Feb) Long drive to find out they were closed. I have my eye on Bear, Martin,( they seem to have quality stuff) and now PSE-I haven`t read too much on PSE, but it seems to be an alright system reading what you guys have said about them--worth a look anyways. I have time since I`m recovering from ankle surgery and should wait till I can stand properly before I try shooting anything.--Time to get as much info as I can.

Bow Walker
02-19-2010, 06:12 PM
PSE bows are great bows. They are famous for their adjustability(if that's a real word) and their ability to "grow" with the archer. Buy with confidence.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-20-2010, 10:58 AM
PSE is by far the largest archery company on the planet ..... they have a bit of their technology and own a patent on each and every compound bow sold ....

Be sure to check out as many breeds as you can ... While Martin, Bear and PSE are great products ... so are Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, Elite and about a dozen other brands

MikeH
02-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Don't forget APA.:wink:

Geronimo
02-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Now I can't wait for Boormans to open up after their weeks vacation--Thanks to all for the information--I will probably have a lot more questions in the future-- you guys are GREAT!!

Bowzone_Mikey
02-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Now I can't wait for Boormans to open up after their weeks vacation--Thanks to all for the information--I will probably have a lot more questions in the future-- you guys are GREAT!!
there is a ton of knowledge here ... we are all willing to help when asked to do so