PDA

View Full Version : i need advice on boots, i want the best

NEEHAMA
02-23-2006, 06:05 PM
i have also been let down by poor foot wear. i need warm , dry and comfy hunting boots. deer hunting/ hiking in rain, snow etc.. i'm prepared to spend some good coin. i really want the top dollar boot's.
if i asked who makes the best hunting boot's on earth what would you say??

000buck
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
In Ten Years I've Had Only Two Pairs Of Rockey Boots I Love Them, Warm And Dry No Problems Maybe A Little Heavey Unless You Buy Real High End Rockeys

Kirby
02-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Viberg hunters. talk to Loggers, and other bush rats, and you'll get the same answer. I've owned several pairs of Vibergs, and they last 3-4 years at full time work logging, fire fighting, construction, and concrete work. I've never seen another boot compare.

Kirby

blackwater
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd be remiss not saying Charles Van Gorkum makes a nice boot. They are a trifle spendy tho. I'm enjoying mine. I have Meindls (Makalu) and they are well made, tho stiff sole and goretex. Finally Viberg Hunter 45, also well made for the style. Two out of the three made in BC.

Van Gorkam
http://www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com/pages/1/index.htm

Meindl at AJ Brooks (Vancouver)
http://www.ajbrooks.com/qs/product/40/2351/139719/0/0

Viberg
http://www.viberg.com/hunt45.htm

FullDraw
02-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey Eric!

Check out Schnee's boot's www.schnee's.com (http://www.schnee's.com) they look like good boots
See ya at the outdoor's show!

Jack.....a.k.a. FullDraw

Johnnybear
02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
For a medium to higher priced boot for the quality and comfort I like the Irish Setter Elk Hunters. The only complaint I have is they are almost too warm. For early season hunting I use a Shnee's outfitter style non insulated they are so comfortable and quiet.

rocksteady
02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Meindl s Best boots I have ever owned...

kutenay
02-24-2006, 06:55 AM
I have fitted and sold mountainn boots for my living, worked in forestry for over 20 years and hiked/backpacked since 1956. I have owned and used about 25 pair of boots during that time and own several pair now.

The finest boots I have ever seen are from Charlie Van Gorkum at $800.00 plus tax per pair and with a year's wait, he told me last week. Charlie is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet and I ordered my boots last July while visiting him at this shop, they should be ready next month.

In commercial boots, most of the great European names are now junk made in China, the ONLY Euro boot I will buy is Meindl and ONLY from AJBrooks. I have had five pair of Meindls since 1973 and my favourites are the "Perfekt" and "Super Perfekt" models; my partner, a very experienced hunter/climber likes the "Makalu" best and many Sheepists prefer this for the high rubber rand.

I won and use Schnee's, have since 1991, they are the ONLY pacboot I have ever used that are worth squat in the mountains and every hunter should have a pair.

Viberg's are fine boots, but, I prefer the above three types for hunting. I would like to get a pair of their "packer" boots for horseback hunting.

If, you can possibly afford it, get a pair from Charlie, a spare pair of Meindls, a pair of Schnee's and you are set for anything. Really good boots are FAR more useful/important than some expensive Gore-Tex, fleece, camo wonder jacket, at least for serious mountain hunting.

NEEHAMA
02-24-2006, 10:54 AM
wow thanks, good info.

colt52
02-24-2006, 11:04 AM
kutenay, why only from AJ Brooks :?: And your opp. on the Irish Setter line:?: thanks

dirtyharry
02-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Best boots, DANNER.

I prefer the Acadia.

Rob

kishman
02-24-2006, 11:14 AM
NEEHAMA, if you want a good pair under 300.00 either Irish setters' Elk Hunters (which are made by Red Wing) or Danner boots I own a pair of both and I have never been wet or un-comfy in any way. I brought my Danners back with me from Sask. they kept me warm there I'm sure they'll work here.

blackwater
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
AJ Brooks cause they actually know something about fitting the boots when you buy them, the prices are the best, and they are local. At least this was the case my last pair.

ex bc guide
02-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Irish Setters by redwings the best by far!
Mike

Gateholio
02-24-2006, 12:08 PM
AND, IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN kUTES BELIEVES THAT THE aj bROOKS BOOTS ARE A DIFFERENT, BETTER BUILT BOOT THAN THE mEINDALS cABELAS CARRIES.

Okay, i 'll turn off the caps lock...:tongue: :oops:

huntcoop
02-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Danner Canadians, best boots I've ever owned.

www.danner.com (http://www.danner.com)

sparkymacker
02-24-2006, 02:32 PM
I would second that you can not go wrong with the Irish Setters for the money. They are super comfortable and so far have been waterproof. As stated previously they are almost too warm in the early fall, but work great later on when it gets cold.

kutenay
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
In reply to Colt, I have only had one pair of Irish Setter low boots in my life, they did not last like the Meindls, Kastingers, Scarpas and Schnee's that I now have. BUT, they did not cost nearly as much, so, that has to be considered, as well. I have found that, in outdoor gear, more than anything else, you really do get what you pay for and Meindls are about the only really highend Euro boots left on the market.

I find Danner's and similar boots do not give me the support I must have, being an old phart with gimpy legs and they are higher and warmer than I care for; I prefer 7-8" boots with light, short gaiters over higher boots, each to his own.

Cabela's buys gear in bulk from many manufacturers, of whom Meindl is one and they have their products built to a price point; AJBrooks has been the Meindl distributor in Canada since about '72, I worked for him briefly in '73 and he can get boots with superior features/materials to those offered elsewhere. I just took a friend there two weeks ago and the Meindls being sold there now are BETTER than those I have seen for years, they are worth the cost. The guys at AJB actually know how to fit a boot properly and they offer very good service after your purchase.

lapadat
02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I had a pair of Danner Acadia's which were bought for light hiking (patrolling). They are extremely comfortable and did not take a minute to be "broken-in". The downside was that they lacked the ankle support the is required for hard back-country hiking.

Now I wear the Meindl Island Pro....bought at Marks WorkWearhouse in Abby.

My next Meindl will have rubber rands

my 2 cents

lap

oldtimer
02-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Top of the line ---Van Gorkum custom made boots. Hand made very expensive and long waiting list. He sells all over the world. When I lived in smithers I saw his work, Unbelievable, but who needs to pay $800 and wait a year when Irish setter are here. Just my 2 cents. Mike

Tarp Man
02-24-2006, 10:04 PM
I use the Asolo full grain leather boots, with the gore-tex liner. So far they are o.k, but for about $100 more, I could have had a pair of Meindl's. Too eager! Should have waited. They are o.k. but won't last. Next up? A pair of Meindl's with the rubber rand. It sure protects the toe leather. Especially when front-pointing up steep sections for goasts, sheep, solitude, or just to see the other side of the mountain.
-Tarp Man

tomigunz
02-24-2006, 10:19 PM
If u choose to buy irish seters look for the TAMARACK boots,its the the best set that i have bought from red wings so far.

dirtyharry
02-25-2006, 07:12 PM
I have to agree with kutenay on one point, I have a pair of scarpa boots that I love. However I use them for backpacking but not for hunting. They have great ankle support but are too short for my liking in sloppy stuff. For that I like tall lightweight goretex danner Acadia or Fort Lewis. Uninsulated though or my feet get too sweaty and then cold the next day.

Rob

Onesock
02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Best all around hunting boot. SCHNEE'S by far. A good all around boot. Maybe not the best on one thing but they do everything good. Never get wet feet. Have waded creeks and rivers. They do not leak.

boxhitch
02-25-2006, 09:43 PM
SCHNEES are a great pack boot, order the 16" if contending with lots of creek crossings. WHITES BOOTS out of Spokane are equal and may use slightly stiffer rubber. They also make some good all-leather HD boots.
Shale is tough on the leather in the likes of Danners and Setters. Miendls fair better, especially with the rubber rand. Stiff boots like Miendls are needed for the steeps.

gollum257
05-29-2006, 12:00 PM
I have guided for years & have used a lot of boots for the money Danner Canadians or Elk hunter same boot I used a couple of pair of Meindals other than one pair leaked theu weren't as comfortable on there last day as my Danners were on the first day.Also I use a pair of Russels early season as good a boot as any.

Iron-Head
05-29-2006, 12:50 PM
I have had my Zamberlans for 3 season's now and they are great... A little aqua wax here and there and they hold up great. I have beat the hell out of them and there holding up good so far this season too!
Symon

harbinger
05-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Whatever you do, watch out for Danners "bob" sole. It is the one w/ the rubber balls on the bottom. THis sole is SUPER scetchy in the rain or in the steeps in the snow. They say it is ideal for mud and snow but I have found them only good for flat mud and snow.(not alot of that in BC) It is also a big clumpy loud sole. I have a pair of danner canadians and they are comfy and warm but they have little /no ankle support and the sole is down right dangerous.
You really need several pairs of boots depending on where and when and what you are hunting. If you are hunting in the mountains go w/ the meindls from AJ brooks. If you are hunting flatter country for deer or moose get something w/ a soft sole(ie quiet) that is warm so you can sit for a long time. I would suggest the ll bean boot w/ a bama sock liner. If you are sheep hunting in august a nice low (8") heavy backpack boot will do nicely.
After you get your awesome new boots don't cheap out on your socks. You get what you pay for in socks and I think the fancy $10-15 dollar pairs are worth every penny.
my 2 cents

NEEHAMA
05-30-2006, 10:46 AM
i have found the Meindl boots to be in a class of their own. in my opinion the other brands don't hold a candle to them for fit and finish. what a nice product. my only task now is to choose the right model of Meindl. i will be buying a pair of snow boots for the late season so my buying critera will be october mulie hunting in the rain etc. can any anyone suggest a meindl model for this time of year?

and thanks for all the info. and double thanks to all of you that put me onto Meindl.

kutenay
05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Buy the Meindl "Perfekt" model, wear Wigwam "Ultimax" socks with a synthetic liner sock except in really cold weather when Browning woolen socks are better, avoid Filson's wool socks as they itch like crazy. Get Meindl or Obenauf's (from Viberg's) waterproofing wax and USE it regularly.

Buy Schnee's pacboots for late season and you are good to go. If, you can afford it, buy TWO pair of exactly the same boots, such as Meindls, at the same time and alternate them throughout a hunt, change your socks during your lunch break and carry blister protection. This cost money and it is some of the best money you can spend for serious hunting, your Meindls should last 10-20 years if kept for hunting alone.

Deaddog
06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I have used both Meindals and charlie van gorkums boots, I switched to Charlies as I could only get two seasons out of meindls, Charlies were very comfortable, however I did not find them as "waterproof" as the meindls and I only got two seasons out of them as well, I am now back to meindls and trying out for the first time the canadas, we will see how they work

pupper
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Ive got the Danner frontier 400 gram boots and I love em, they are the best boots I have ever owned. Comfy, tough, warm when its cold and not too warm inside the boots when its warm outside. Very waterproof I might add, when I go moose hunting I find myself walking through swampy terrain up to my ankles in water and the gore tex keeps out the water.

Wildman
06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I do not believe you should buy Viberg.

I am a logger and I have spent literally 1000's of dollars in my life on Viberg. They used to be good until they started manufacturing parts of them in Malysia!

I am a proud Canadian. As we all are I'm sure, but the best boots out there now are Hoffman Boots, made in the USA...ugggg!

www.hoffmanboots.com

BCLongshot
06-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Danner...Frontier Extreme 10"

swampthing
04-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I guess these previous posts all came out before Kenetreks hit the market. Its well known that they set the benchmark now.

Krico
04-18-2010, 09:10 AM
I guess these previous posts all came out before Kenetreks hit the market. Its well known that they set the benchmark now.

Yet another "This is what I have, and they work for me, so they are the best:roll:.

I don't question that they are good boots. But there are lots of other good boots out there...

Everett
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Wearing my second pair of Kennetreks as I type and they definitely do not set the standard.

fudge
04-20-2010, 12:00 AM
It has to be Danners