PDA

View Full Version : D-Loops

Bow Walker
02-03-2010, 05:35 PM
It's a fair assumption that everyone knows how to tie a D-loop. But what if you don't? What if it just frustrates the hell out of you?

Here is some relief that has probably been posted before but it is a good reminder.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/d-loopcolage1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5209&ppuser=529)

PgHunterKid
02-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I was confused by the second pic... :D

MikeH
02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
good to know.

BiG Boar
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
How often do you tie these knots?

bowhunterbruce
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
perfectly displayed,now anyone should be able you do it.
great job and perfect pics,very easy to follow.
bruce

Ruger4
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Good post Bow Walker,
there is definately an art to 'good' d-loops

BowSitter
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Don't forget to melt the ends!!

Bowzone_Mikey
02-03-2010, 07:17 PM
the photos are courtisey of JAVI ...not JARI ....
a good loop so long as you have burrs and what not on your release will outlast the string ... I tie a new loop every time I put a new string on ..

and yes melt ...dont .. i repeat ... DONT BURN the ends

ElkMasterC
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM

You see what you want to see, I suppose. ;-)

Bow Walker
02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
What's been done there is that the loose ends have been passed under the loop to create the first knot. The left "loose end" has been shortened (or cut off and melted - if you want to waste rope).

To All;
Obviously (I hope) the rope that is used in this demonstration is way too big. It's just to make the pictures clear.

The needle-nosed pliers are inserted into the loop and forced open to tighten the knot ends on the bow string. The pliers do the same job that a specially designed $28 tool does.

I'm not too ashamed to admit that it took me quite some time to get so that I could tie a D-loop without referring to a picture.:redface:

Jagermeister
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
How often do you tie these knots?Everytime they come loose.
It is critical that a strong ball be formed on both ends of the loop. This is not shown in the photo sequence, but you can see that the process was completed by the presence of the balls on the end of the D-loop string. It is done by applying open flame to the ends.
You can receive a self-inflicted smack-down if the loop should slip.

300win
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Great demo/ cheers

willyqbc
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
A little tip to help keep your knots from slipping at all......before final tightening take some of your string wax and smear it all over your knots. Wave your lighter under the knots to melt the wax into the knot then cinch down, this will really lock down your knots. Just be careful melting the wax!!!

Chris

Bow Walker
02-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Everytime they come loose......
A properly tied D-loop will not slip - at least it hasn't done yet. :mrgreen:

"Mushrooming" the ends of the D-loop IS critical to making a secure knot. Try putting some wax on the loop string - as willyqbc says. It works.

When using a lighter to melt the ends of D-loops, serving string, and such, I always get my fingers right in there, close to the knot so that I can feel the heat. If I can stand the flame then I won't be melting something that I shouldn't. :wink: