PDA

View Full Version : Wet feet

Husky7mm
02-23-2006, 10:29 AM
I have a great pair of hunting boots, and I know they dont leak but every day I go hunting my feet are wet buy noon. I'm sure its sweat. I where wool socks for warmth, but if my feet are wet and its cold out then they get colder.Any suggestions?

bigwhiteys
02-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Husky,

I have the same problem you do... No matter what boots I wear or what socks I wear my feet sweat a ton.

The best solution I have found is to air my feet out when I stop for lunch or a snack and change socks. Works great for me.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

beeker
02-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Wear a pair of poly socks underneath the wool socks, the poly socks wick away the moisture from your feet and the wool will absorb the moisture while still keeping its warming properties.

ape
02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
I used to have the same problem untill I bought a new pair of Rocky Lynx 800 and have not noticed the wet foot problem since. It maybe the boots or just luck but I sure like them.

Kirby
02-23-2006, 03:18 PM
if the boots are big enought, check out Bamba liners. They are little blue booties that cover the feet. They work great at pulling away sweat, and keeping your feet warm, they are 10-15 bucks a set at most boot stores. Don't put them in a washing machine, one wash and they are screwed, instead just throw them in the sink with some dish soap and do it by hand, they will go for alot longer then.

Kirby

kishman
02-23-2006, 05:02 PM
I've never tried the booties but the poly socks do work well keeping the feet dry.

ianwuzhere
02-23-2006, 05:05 PM
ya the bama's are a definate choice for any rubber soled boots- work great, they can be soaked and your socks still dried under $20 pair

ianwuzhere
02-23-2006, 05:19 PM
ya the bama's are a definate choice for any rubber based boots- work great, they can be soaked and your socks still dry under $20 pair

BCKID
02-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm in for the bama's as well. I used them when I was commercial fishing in those blue/yellow heli rubber boots. They worked great. Never tried them in hunting boots tho. BCKID

wetcoastwillie
02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
sealskinz.... waterproof socks on fleabay for ~ 15.00 a pair.

They're like cloth gumboots!!!

000buck
02-23-2006, 06:21 PM
I used to have the same problem untill I bought a new pair of Rocky Lynx 800 and have not noticed the wet foot problem since. It maybe the boots or just luck but I sure like them.

I USE ROCKEY BOOTS TOO AND DON'T HAVE A WET FOOT ISSUE, MAYBE ITS THE BOOTS

boxhitch
02-24-2006, 05:53 PM
A home remedy that I heard about, from someone with lots of them, was that if you had problems with sweaty feet, to soak your feet in a bath of cabbage juice . This was supposed to stop the perspiration for a couple of weeks. Never tried it, nor have I Googled it for info. Supposedly an old Eskimo trick, but where does an Eskimo get a friggin cabbage ??

Husky7mm
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
I had rocky bear claw goretex boots and it was the same thing.

scouterjames
03-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I always carry extra socks. Whether camping, hunting, or doing stuff around ther house sweat builds up, so I change over at mid day. You can put up with a lot of discomfort if your feet are happy. You can double up with the inner layer being polypropylene or some other synthetic material, which wicks the moisture away into the outer layer, in which case only the outer layer nees to be changed. Good extra padding if you're walking a lot.

Fisher-Dude
03-01-2011, 07:07 AM
There's an easy fix: just make sure the truck's heater isn't blowing on your feet as you drive around all day waiting for a booner to cross the road. :wink:

Craddosk
03-01-2011, 07:53 AM
A home remedy that I heard about, from someone with lots of them, was that if you had problems with sweaty feet, to soak your feet in a bath of cabbage juice . This was supposed to stop the perspiration for a couple of weeks. Never tried it, nor have I Googled it for info. Supposedly an old Eskimo trick, but where does an Eskimo get a friggin cabbage ??

To expand on this with a modern day method, use an antiperspirant on your feet in the morning. As a result, they won't sweat. Not the best to use for years on end, but for a few days a year it works. An additional bonus is they'll smell nice.

gmcgilli66
03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
There's an easy fix: just make sure the truck's heater isn't blowing on your feet as you drive around all day waiting for a booner to cross the road. :wink:

A lot of problems do start in the vehicle before you get to the hunt point. We tend to dress for the hunt at home and then drive for 45 minutes in a toasty hot vehicle. Bodies get way overheated and the problems start. Dress down, keep the vehicle cool, and put on your hunting layers at your takeoff point.
Moisture is the enemy and cotton keeps it next to your skin, killing all the good insulation over top. Polypro, wool, outer layer with wind/rain barrier is the way to go!
BTW, cheap fleece doesn't breathe very well. ... sort of like wearing a plastic garbage bag!!!
Lots of good info on the net!
Geo

darrin6109
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Just grab the " Rightguard Antiperspirant" and it will stop your feet from sweating which means warmer feet. (dont use deodorant).

chinook
03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
sealskinz.... waterproof socks on fleabay for ~ 15.00 a pair.

They're like cloth gumboots!!!

They great but only for keeping outside water out. I used to run them but found they trapped too much sweat in. Bama's with woollies are the only way to go if you can sqeeze em in there. Thats what I run in my caulked boots working in the bush all year long.

jethrobuddy
03-03-2011, 11:38 PM
anti-perspirant works, carry extra socks too

buckhunter
04-14-2011, 10:02 PM
bama socks are awesome. keeps my feet warm and dry. about $14 a pair. well worth it!

Duck Tales
04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Where can you find these bamas ?

Weatherby Fan
04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Where can you find these bamas ?

You can get Bama sox at any Marks work wearhouse,Take your hunting boots with you as there fairly thick and may have trouble fitting them inside your hunting boots,they do work awesome as i used them for years Commercial Fishing.

303Brit
04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Well I can't speak to the Bama's. There are some other good suggestions, since you didn't mention a wicking layer a wicking sock below your woolies is a very good idea. Also extra socks, I know seems like a PITA to take your boots of and swap socks. But for the average individual your feet have a huge impact on your attitude, once your feet are any of the following, wet, cold, sore, or blistered your usually miserable. So any time you stop for food or intend to glass an area swap the socks if they are wet. Another thing to consider if foot powder, just a like layer. I use it all the time, I where 2 pairs of socks everyday at work. We spend up to 12hrs a day working in our combat boots.